Ex matlow chef needs help from his fellow shippers

Cravenm

Full Registered User
Hi shippers,

I have passed a course for SSO and STCW95 and have been looking for work but not many people seem to want to take an ex matlow on and the industry is flooded. So is there still hope out there or not ?

remote medic

Longterm Registered User
Have you thought about doing bosiet and and continuing career as a offshore chef with the oil and gas industry?

numerous agencies and chance for promotion to chef manager

Just an idea

BZ

india18

Full Registered User
Shipmate,

As a ex matelot chef myself mate, i know how you feel. All i can say is if you really do want to get into the MARSEC sector then you just have to persist with it, get your CV out there and see what happens.
You could do as remote medic suggests, I have got my bosiet/huet qual and worked in the oil & gas sector for a while but you might be a bit bored of that line of work.
There are a lot of companies that pick and chose what they see as the right candidate, so you just have to research and contact them to see what skill sets they are after.

Good luck mate

Cravenm

Full Registered User
Got everything except the discharge book and seamans card there a nightmare to get coz no one wants to help ya

CrossedMissiles

Full Registered User
Shag,

I think it helps if you have a sponsor, ie, a company to vouch for you. My oppo has got himself in with a firm and he got his discharge book and seaman's card straight off.

Yours aye

Cravenm

Full Registered User
Still no luck got my seamans card and discharge book and have been pestering companies and everyone I know to get me in that door.

operator144

Longterm Registered User
Ring the MCA at Southampton as you should be eligible for a Seaman's card as you've served on a ship. Thats how I got mine.