FCO Warning on Somalia.

saward

Longterm Registered User
SOMALIA: “Any British nationals in Somalia should leave.†Says Uk Government.
Posted on February 13, 2014 Somali News

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Somalia, including Somaliland. Any British nationals in Somalia should leave.

There is a high threat from terrorism, including kidnapping, throughout Somalia, including Somaliland. Terrorist groups have made threats against westerners and those working for western organisations. The FCO believes that there is a constant threat of terrorist attack in Mogadishu.
The FCO also believes that terrorists continue to plan attacks against westerners in Somaliland.
Terrorist attacks could be indiscriminate, including in crowded places, high-profile events, events involving government officials and in places frequented by foreigners.

Piracy is a significant threat in the Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean.
There is also a high threat of maritime terrorism in the territorial and international waters off Somalia.

All areas across Somalia are suffering food shortages resulting in the displacement of thousands of Somali people.

The FCO is unable to provide consular assistance in Somalia.
Source: UK Government.

Saward

My company are currently operating in the area. Our security provider is supplying us with a first rate service.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Close Protection World mobile app

Six die in blast near Mogadishu airport - Africa | IOL News | IOL.co.za
That warning came out the same day as the VBIED happened so it appears to be a fast-ball for the FCO.
I was there last June when the attack at the UN compound went down, Mog is a dangerous hole and I never like leaving the airport "hotel" unless it's on the plane taking me to Nairobi.
VBIEDs, IDF etc couldn't care if you've got a 1st rate service or not.
If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time you won't even see it coming.
Good luck down there GOM.

I agree chap, I've been in & out of the place for years & potential for disaster is there. However nature of the business take the company to such places. All I can do as the Risk Management is try and ensure the security guys are as good as we can get.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Close Protection World mobile app

Use local security.

Driven around so far with no problems, being the only non Somali and tall do tend to stand out.
Impressed by the local security, good drills and switched on.

Saward

As things stand down there pay them a nice daily rate $15-25 a day and you'll have no problems.
Dollars are up there with Allah and khat and you can't go too far wrong- just keep 'em happy at all times :)

Gareth,

In a previous post you stated, "Mog is a dangerous hole and I never like leaving the airport "hotel" unless it's on the plane taking me to Nairobi."

Looking at your comments regarding your security, if that is the standard I suggest you upgrade your team. :)

It's safer in the countryside.:) :)

Saward

Sent from my Pigeon Post using Peck Talk.

Haha, our fixer had the occasional drink problem but I'm sure the security team would have had one as well if we gave them the chance!
The khat thing was reined in as they were trying their luck and chewing all the time till we had to put an end to it.
Obviously you can't keep them from chewing on their off-time or you'd have a revolution on your hands.

Somalia: UK MP visits Mogadishu, week after Britain warned Citizens to travel
February 20, 2014

UK MP Tony Baldry paid a visit to the Somali Capital on Thursday a week after Britain warned its Citizens to travel to the war-ravaged country.
The MP who was accompanied by the British Ambassador to Somalia Neil Wigan and other several colleagues were received at the airport by Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud.
Both had a meeting at the British Embassy in Mogadishu which is located besides the airport, an area which is heavily guarded by the African Union troops.
Somali President told reporters after the meeting that they discussed on enhancing the two countries’ relations. He thanked Britain for its support and humanitarian assist it’s providing to the nation.

Last week, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office warned all Britons to travel to Somalia, including separatists region Somaliland urging any British nationals in Somalia to leave.

The office said that there is a high threat from terrorism, including kidnapping, throughout Somalia, including Somaliland.
In April 2013, Britain reopened its embassy in Mogadishu after more than two decades of closure becoming the first European union country to re-open its embassy.

:) :)
Saward

Funny that they didn't even mention Puntland.
It's not exactly exempt from all the rest of the shit that haunts the region.
Galkayo isn't the friendliest place and apparently AS are getting bigger up there (depending on whose INTREP you read).
The UK is getting in there as since the Somali conference last year the country is going to be sold off to the corporations and some large profits will be coming up for the right people.

BREAKING NEWS.
21 February 2014 Last updated at 11:04

Somali presidential palace: 'Car bomb' attack in Mogadishu

A car bomb has exploded at the gates of Somalia's presidential palace, followed by an attack by gunmen, police in Mogadishu say.

A fierce gunfight is now said to be underway inside the compound.

President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud has called the UN envoy to Somalia to say he was not harmed during the attack, envoy Nick Kay has tweeted.
The UN-backed government is battling al-Qaeda-linked group al-Shabab for control of the country.

Senior police officer Abdikadir Ahmed told the Reuters news agency the fighting was going on in the house of a military commander within the presidential compound, near the palace.

"The car bomb hit and exploded and other al-Shabab cars with armed men drove inside the palace, and heavy fighting is still going on," he said.

Mr Kay said: "Sadly some lives lost. I condemn strongly this terrorism."

Saward

Back