Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Feed

diesel

Longterm Registered User
Looking for a bit of advice. I have 2 year old Czech Sable GSD bitch from working lines. She is raw fed and normally hoovers up everything in her bowl. She's in excellent condition and shape but the past couple of days, she has left some of her food in the bowl which is very unlike her. We have however discovered that we have been overfeeding her amounts over the past 10 days (don't ask how!) sometimes up to a 1/3 more........ is this just a case of being overfed and now she's 'self regulating'? Just very unlike her to be honest. We have obviously just scooped the bowl up after her 10 minutes allotted time to clear her bowl and thrown whats left. Any advice, tips? She is perfectly fine in herself.

SCT

Don't worry about. If she isn't lethargic and she is showing no other signs of illness and her poop is OK, she's self regulating. Not all dogs are pigs that will eat until they explode (except Labs that is) :)

I have a Mali that will just eat until he is full and leave the rest and is otherwise healthy. He doesn't gain or lose weight and is full of energy.

diesel

Longterm Registered User
Cheers SCT - that was my thought as well. She very rarely leaves anything but given the missus messed up with he feeding amounts, I can see why she hasn't been smashing her feed yesterday - ten minute rule seems to work a treat though and breakfast was had this morning. Im relatively new to raw with her and just wanted to confirm my thoughts were right. Every day is a school day!

aes69

Super Moderator
I've always advocated missing a day of feeding whenever the dogs seem off for any reason. Might just be the overfeeding you've identified.

diesel

Longterm Registered User
Thanks AES - really no dramas with a complete day off every now and again? Her waste is a little chalky too so probably having a bit too much bone. No health issues with her, boundless energy and absolutely fine in herself....

colonel45155

Longterm Registered User
Don't worry about. If she isn't lethargic and she is showing no other signs of illness and her poop is OK, she's self regulating. Not all dogs are pigs that will eat until they explode (except Labs that is) :)

I have a Mali that will just eat until he is full and leave the rest and is otherwise healthy. He doesn't gain or lose weight and is full of energy.
I have a Black Lab, female 3yrs old and a Golden Retriever 6yrs old, I have to put the bowl down to the black lab first, she bites the retrievers ear if she falls out with him and he gets fed first. The dogs are better fed than me, I get Tesco value gravy and put it in their dry food. The lab has started eating the kennel which worried me so I rang the vet, she said walk more but I have them out twice a day (I live beside a football pitch so just let them go) Vet said put tobasco sauce on the bit she eat's and she hasn't done it again, sorry for the off topic reply.

Top Bottom