Finishing MSc in security & risk mgmnt Leicester Uni

Sanddancer

Longterm Registered User
Anyone else coming to the end of a fukin tiresome two and a half year road (started march 11 and had a 3 mth break in 2012) and finishing off their dissertation for the MSc at Leicester?

Anyone else coming to the end of a fukin tiresome two and a half year road (started march 11 and had a 3 mth break in 2012) and finishing off their dissertation for the MSc at Leicester?

Congrats, will you further your education. It is easier to not take a break with the intentions of coming back later. In the end the education is worth it.

I feel the pain - im coming to the end of the road too. What are your plans after uni?

Not a scooby mate! Have a break from anything remotely academic for a while though!

Playing in the sand at the mo. Maybe look for a UK based number in the spring with a 'bit' of travel thrown in occasionally.

Open to suggestions and ideas.

Hi Guys,

I would be very interested to have a conversation to hear your thoughts on this long journey as I am currently looking at enrolling on the October intake at Bucks Uni.

If this is possible, can you private message a number across or I will send you mine.

Kind Regards

Stu

Hey guys,

I'm looking for honest unbiased opinions on what would be considered the most relevant and highly regarded Masters degree related to the security industry.

I have experience working in various areas of security up to supervisor level and I have a few years military experience.
I am also just coming to the end of a degree in business studies from a good university in Ireland.

I intend on completing a CP course sometime before the end of this year and hope to get some experience in that field of security. Alternatively I'm looking to start a career in security management.

Thinking further down the line, I would like to plan for the future, when I'm older and less physically capable than I am now. As such I have been looking into the various Msc and MA security courses, in Loughbourough, Bucks and a couple of others.

In your educated unbiased opinion, which of these courses holds the most weight and what sort of career would these graduate degrees qualify you for?

All input is much appreciated,

IR.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for honest unbiased opinions on what would be considered the most relevant and highly regarded Masters degree related to the security industry.

I have experience working in various areas of security up to supervisor level and I have a few years military experience.
I am also just coming to the end of a degree in business studies from a good university in Ireland.

I intend on completing a CP course sometime before the end of this year and hope to get some experience in that field of security. Alternatively I'm looking to start a career in security management.

Thinking further down the line, I would like to plan for the future, when I'm older and less physically capable than I am now. As such I have been looking into the various Msc and MA security courses, in Loughbourough, Bucks and a couple of others.

In your educated unbiased opinion, which of these courses holds the most weight and what sort of career would these graduate degrees qualify you for?

IR.

Hello IR,

It's been said countless times before but experience will be the overriding factor in successfully obtaining positions you apply for.

An academic qualification whilst worthy of recognition will get you diddly squat if you don't have the time under your belt. I know an Iraq Country Director who is advising his guys to do post graduate level qualifications in Business as opposed to Security related courses. His take is that you already know the security industry inside out and a security related Masters just proves you can read and write well as you should be au fait with the subject matter.

In todays corporate environment Business related qualifications may well give you the edge at the pointy end of the triangle but it will be role specific.

For project management roles maybe but if it is a consultancy role then a Masters in a security related discipline clearly has more weight.

All of this is a moot point as at the end of the day it's who you know that matters most.

As a caveat to my last point..........if two applicants both 'know someone' and two CV's go in front of the right person an academic qualification on your CV may well be the deciding factor.

Sanddancer

I am just starting to write my dissertation for the MSc through Leicester. I also took time out, due to work commitments in 2012.

Well done for getting it cracked. I know what a f*cking ball ache it can be.

Good luck for the future.

Hey guys,

IR.

PM me and we can perhaps discuss ours (Bucks) and Leicester's (which I did at the behest of my previous employer) and explain why I designed ours differently. All of them have different approaches, advantages and disadvantages, and you probably need to link it closely to what you envisage your role being and what type of career you would like to follow. Happy to discuss and advise (but not do a hard sell!).

Hi exroyal,

Thanks for the info, everything you've said makes sense but I was thinking that since I already (just about) have a degree in business, a security Msc might be the perfect compliment for career advancement. I was really wondering which Masters is seen as the best within the security industry.

But of course experience is very important too and in many cases will trump academic qualifications alone.
And again as you said, it seems to be who you know rather than what you know. I know senior operations managers who got their start through contacts yet never done a day in college and they appear to be doing a perfectly fine job.

Apologies IR.

I can only comment on the Leicester course.

Leicester MSc Security and Risk Management is an established course and that counts for something. To a corporate client who doesn't really understand the nuances of various security MSc programs it's title is at least self-explanatory.

Archie has been around the bazaars from what I've seen on here so take him up on his offer to give you a bit of guidance. It will be mostly impartial!

I have just started my Dissertation on the MSc with Leicester...... roll on mid February 2014 when the pain will hopefully be all over! I wont lie, I think it is hideous but i can noe see light at the end of the tunnel. Where it takes me afterwards I have not really though about... I am usually too busy reading a pile of articles to have time for thoughts of anything else. Good luck with the dissertations lads! :)

Good luck with the dissy's guys.

Two Master's degrees down (business & security) and part way through a doctorate; if I can be any help to anyone just ask / pm.

You can help me please Carmdale.

I have done maritime and deserts, now I am back in uniform! (Don't ask) But my aim now is security management in th UK, nothing sexy, just a standard civi security manager, hotel, business etc.

What would be your advice on a sarting point in terms of courses?

Thanks in advance.

Back