Fire Marshal course

billy1000

Full Registered User
Hi, I've been booked onto a Fire Marshal course run by St. John's. My boss had few details so I've checked the SJA webiste and sent an email requesting more info. I'd be grateful if anyone from the forum who has done the course could let me know, is it any good?

all the best
Billy

There is no accreditation required for running any such course.
Basics are:
This is a fire extinguisher, this is how it works, here are what the different types are for. Don't hold on to the cone when using a co2, your hand will freeze to it.
Make sure you are safe.
If you can't safely put out a fire with a small cup of water then its best just to leave it.
People always try to leave the same way as they came in - even if they are right next to a fire exit.
Keep fire exits clear whenever the premises are open.
Make sure the door actually works and opens and is free from obstruction at the other side.
Fire alarm should be tested once a week from a different point every time in rotation.
Always remember to keep the way clear for the fire brigade arriving
Don't re enter til the fire brigade tell you it's clear.
Now search you tube for the bradford fire disaster from 11th May 1985 and watch the video
Fire spreads quickly
its dangerous.

Course done.
Now gimme yer £85 and I will send you a certificate:)

OF COURSE any and all training is always useful, especially health and safety training, but don't expect any more than I have just described...
Hope this helps
RM

There is no accreditation required for running any such course.
Basics are:
This is a fire extinguisher, this is how it works, here are what the different types are for. Don't hold on to the cone when using a co2, your hand will freeze to it.
Make sure you are safe.
If you can't safely put out a fire with a small cup of water then its best just to leave it.
People always try to leave the same way as they came in - even if they are right next to a fire exit.
Keep fire exits clear whenever the premises are open.
Make sure the door actually works and opens and is free from obstruction at the other side.
Fire alarm should be tested once a week from a different point every time in rotation.
Always remember to keep the way clear for the fire brigade arriving
Don't re enter til the fire brigade tell you it's clear.
Now search you tube for the bradford fire disaster from 11th May 1985 and watch the video
Fire spreads quickly
its dangerous.

Course done.
Now gimme yer £85 and I will send you a certificate:)

OF COURSE any and all training is always useful, especially health and safety training, but don't expect any more than I have just described...
Hope this helps
RM

Is your certificate shiny or matt finish? I did the course with 'UK Fire Training' and they typed my name in using a hand writing style font. It's touches like that which can set you apart.
Although the course was basic it does make you think.

Sorry.
Mine would only be arial font
Also, it wouldnt have a fancy logo.
Oh well. Nearly had £85 there!

Even though I slag the training because they are essentially a rip off, I DO agree that you WILL pick something up from it, and that one piece of info will in itself stay with you and remain useful.
Even if you do as I suggested and google the film of the bradford fire, that in itself is an eye opener.

RM

I argee with you whole heartedly. The eye opener for me was watching the videos of how fast a fire can spread, and the temperatures involved. Luckly worked paid for me to go.

Cheers for the info, work is paying so its not a problem. Makes a change from paying for my own courses. Its another learning experience so I'll keep an open mind.
Thank you, RM and West0.

all the best
Billy

Back