FREE Training and free badge (SCOTGAP)

Bubba

Super Moderator
Ladies and gents,
I hope you are all well.

In order to avoid some issues with Security, such as those witnessed at the Olympics, the Scottish Government is funding training for entrants in to the industry, as well as paying for the badge:

The 2 week course includes:
Level 2 Award in Door Supervision (Scotland) at SCQF Level 6
Working as a Security Officer Unit
Level 2 Award in Understanding Stewarding at Spectator Events
Work Experience / familiarisation within stadium
SIA Licence Application fee paid (on successful completion of Door Supervision course)

I have no affiliation to any of the colleges and know nothing more than what I have read. I am not looking to debate whether this will enhance security or lower standards, I am simply passing on that there is free training available, and a free badge.

"Building on lessons learned from the 2012 Olympics ‘Bridging the Gap’ initiative, the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee, Glasgow 2014, is working in partnership with Skills Development Scotland, the Scottish Funding Council and 13 further education colleges to provide appropriate security training and licences to further or higher education students.
The Commonwealth Games Organising Committee, Glasgow 2014, has inserted a clause within its security contracts which requires security contractors to draw 20% of their workforce from the further or higher education sector."

The info above was taken from: Legacy 2014 ScotGap

Hope it helps someone.

Bubba

In order to avoid some issues with Security, such as those witnessed at the Olympics, the Scottish Government is funding training for entrants in to the industry, as well as paying for the badge......"Building on lessons learned from the 2012 Olympics ‘Bridging the Gap’ initiative".
Bubba,

Is the first part of the above your take on the meaning of the second bit?

If it is I take the second part to mean they have learnt from the success of the BtG initiative and are doing the same.

As for a "free badge", it only says "Once successfully completed, all candidates will be able to apply for the SIA licence which allows individuals to work, as security staff, across a variety of sectors including sporting and entertainment events" which to me means that the training will be provided and it is then up to the candidates to apply for the badge if they want. Which is the same as at the Olympics.

I believe it may be the same as a previous company I applied for, which stated that the government would only fund the badge if both parts of the course were completed and attended. I'm sure the understanding stewarding is a fantastic and incredibly interesting course, especially for being a week long -_- I'm currently on a DS course next week, at a price of £140, would rather pay this than sit through some week long course telling me how to do a job I've already been doing since November, seems rather pointless to me. As far as I'm aware, you'll get your badge for free if you're on the dole anyway (surely they'll be the only people with the time to take 2 weeks off for this?)

Thanks for the second link Bubba.

You are right the badge is funded as well. Unfortunately the scheme is now full but there is a "long" waiting list to cope with the drop out.

I have passed the details onto a couple of lads from 2012 who are now at Edinburgh Uni who are well up for it, especially if the money is as good as London. :)

Remember that there is a whole network of colleges doing it.
As I said, hope the link helps at least ONE other person.

All the very best.

Bubba

Back