glock 21 cal 45...

GI0VANNI

Longterm Registered User
After starting with a nice baikal in 22lr and then the USP compact (9mms) I decided the next step, a 45, I was in doubt about a norinco 1911 clone (just for the looks) when a dude posted for sale this glock just the day I was getting back from a "glock certified arms technician express course" from the spanish importer given by some Austrians, reading the age and things included (and the 350€ tag) and the shameful situation of an old shooter forced to give away the toy (with people trying to get the even lower price tag) told him that the baby will have a new home, so now I am bounded, prepared or not.

I have NEVER shot a 45 and the glock is supposed to be in the light side to handle this cartridge, people tells me that 45 is not so bad and that 9mms is far more nasty than the healthy 45, any advice will be REALLY appreciated, mainly I would like to avoid passing for the fagot I am when he sees me shooting the darling (she is called "Lola")

Been a while since I last shot a .45 that was a 1911. Firing the 230 grain bullets there is more recoil than a 9mm but you get used to it!

I carry a Colt 1911 on duty. The weight of the Colt (or its clones) negate a lot of the recoil. The Glock 45 cal used to be issued at my agency but it was replaced with the .40 cal due to the fact that the grip on the .45 is too large for most people and was causing some malfunctions due to "limp wristing" or improper grip. Not a fan of the Glock for personal reasons even though I carried a Glock 23 in .40 cal off duty for about 15 years. I still own it but it sits in the gun safe now. The 9mm isn't as "nasty" as you would think. Seen too many people survive being shot by the 9mm. Law enforcement in the U.S. has pretty much completely abandoned the 9mm for that reason. Our issue gun is the Glock in .45 GAP. Why, I don't know. I think we are going to change again due to ammunition costs. Doesn't matter to me because I have been grandfathered in and can carry what I want. My 1911 has been in service with me since 1992.

Last edited:
I mean how yo deal with the kick the 45 gives to the shooter, not the "bad side of the equation" (not planning to be there).
I do not know how to properly handle it, (the youtube videos are useless, just people dancing the guns ) and in my range no one has a glock in such caliber (yesterday tried a 9mms glock for the gripping, no more), people here seems to prefer the "star" 1911 look alikes (really old stuff) and only glocks usually seem are the 17 in 9mms.

Only way to learn 'how to handle it', is to fire it, lots!
Personally I love the .45, makes me feel 'manly' !!!

Only way to learn 'how to handle it', is to fire it, lots!
Personally I love the .45, makes me feel 'manly' !!!

You know why I carry a .45? Cause they don't make a .46 :)

Seriously though Giovanni...it doesn't take long at all to get used to the .45. The 9mm round is a high pressure round so the felt recoil is sharper. The .45 does have more recoil but it is a gentler "push" and is quite manageable. Even though I carry a Colt the Star is a good gun as are many of the Colt clones. A properly fit gun goes miles in how well you can shoot it. It wouldn't take you long with a little bit of instruction to feel comfortable with the .45.

Well, here we technically do not own the pistols, we get the permit and pay for them BUT when "daddy the state" decides that you are no more able to keep the gun you must sell/give it, kind of "restricted property".
To sum up all you people are just telling me that, no matter how you try it, "You learn to F... just F..., no mather how many films you see previously". ;)

Advice plz. Sorry to derail the thread but does high rise mounts make much of a difference. No matter what I do the scope is high. Even tried it at 10yds so zero drop. I'm perplexed.

Yes they do. You wont be able to zero it at 10 yards...too close and probably not enough adjustment in the scope. With high rise scope mounts I zero at 200 yards with my .270 Remington. At 100 yards it's an inch high, and at 0-50 yards it's the height above the bore to the scope center (depending on scope mounts)....about 2 inches high. So basically I'm in the kill zone at over 200 yards so I just hold dead center and am confident the shot will be good. Adjust the yardage for calibers of different power.

Got an adapter from 11mm to 20mm and that has raised it a lot. Thanks Howard.

Yea, that's a big jump. The only people here who use them that high is people who own the old lever action big bore rifles. They use the high rise mounts so they can use either the iron sights at close range or the scope at longer ranges. It's blasphemy to me to scope a lever action though. :)

We used to have a club member (when we were allowed pistols) who had a desert eagle 50 ae it was great fun to shoot. ;)
You're not allowed pistols because most shooters in the UK were wankers and no matter how we tried to get them to stand up and shout "NO!!! EFF OFF" 98% said "Yeah, we understand and we are ashamed of what one of us did..." Instead of shouting loudly, "That prick should never been given a ticket in the first place as he did not fit into the Section 27 definition, and his local Plod Lodge members looked the other way." But no, many felt shame, for no effing reason, but 98% of the wankers gave up.
The Mirror and the Mail took pistol shooters tickets away and not more than 2% phoned their local MP. Gutless pricks. Plus, the .22 rifle arseholes sided with the Plod and Home Office, actually siting 1939/40 when the UK riflemen owners re-equipped the Army after Dunkirk FFS! Conveniently forgetting that pistol shooters did the same thing. Don't get me started on this...

Don't be afraid to say what you mean delta lol ;) I personally didn't know we could have handguns over here on a ticket. I didn't ask but my gun dealer said to join a club and I could get anything I wanted. I looked at him and jokingly said I know what club that would be. Seriously though I thought handguns were just for PP but I'm pleased to stand corrected.

Back