Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gym gripes

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
Things that annoy me about gyms :)
1. Paying for the locker, a deposit is fine but the local sports centre charge 10p each time you lock it.
2. Music - a liitle background music is fine, but dance music blaring out is not. If I want music I'll take my own. There's only so much dance music I can take before I have to leave, its about 10 minutes.
3. People not actually exercising - whether its the 2 young blokes I just saw taking turns to lift a small dumbbell and not even with the right movement ,some young slim women doing 2miles an hour on the treadmill or the idiots doing a speed on the reclined bikes that only a snail would be proud of.
4. Poor placement of rowing machines - put them with front end up to the wall and you start getting seasick as the wall moves back and forwards. Put them facing the treadmills and I have to put up with view of some incredibly fat arse wobbling along at 2 miles an hour.
5. Machines not working and having to try to tell someone on reception which one it was. Put numbers on the machines then people can report faults more easily.
6. Cleanliness, or lack of. I've just seen some gunge in a plughole that must have been there weeks. The typical problem is cleaners wiping out a washbasin and ignoring a plughole, or cleaning the floor and ignoring walls, benches etc. The other usual is people not emptying the mop bucket and keep using the same dirty water.

Please feel free to add your own gripes or comments.

Tank3872

Full Registered User
ive just come back for the gym an what well fooks me of is the posing pratts in there wearing the wrong kit doing very little !!!

davidd

Longterm Registered User
My gym,idiots doing swinging bar bell curls, licra, loud grunting, music too loud, Lack of cleanliness, not wiping the machines down, not sitting on a towel in the sauna (sign on the door), staff and tradesmen walking though the swimming pool and shower area with 'outside' shoes on... the list goes on and on...gym has just changed hands, and now has different tiers of membership and I'm now paying more than the new joiners.
It's just a business to them, really, thats ALL it is to them...so i'm not surprised to hear this is happening in other gyms,not at all.

Dont do public gyms for all of your above reasons................a bench and a squat rack and free weights in a big shed at the bottom of the garden, thats what suits me, i feel for all those who have to train in public gyms and arnt able to do what i do.

But hey ho..........

Paul83

Longterm Registered User
I heard in a gym i used to frequent some guy crapped himself in a shower once. Found it amusing but would of hated to been in the cubicle next to him lol. Nothing really annoys me in the gym i go to it has everything i need anyone using the power rack are very accommodating likewise when im there first.

All in all i like pumping iron i get compliments, and as well take the ego knock and listen to some criticism in form etc some guys even ask for advice. The gym im using now has monthly challenges which offer out rewards which is a nice incentive to do some conditioning work though i failed every challenge :( and im only paying 12 quid a month!

When i see someone balancing on those half inflatable balls doing bicep curls i have trouble seeing the point of it but if it keeps them happy who am i to critique. Keeps them off the power rack so im happy. As for fatties, or girls doing 100 reps of 2kg dumbbells trying to avoid bulking up to much or the guys that deadlift over arching the back at the finish we have to start somewhere whether that be in physic or trial and error. Either tell them or let em get on with it.

Longterm Registered User
Hi all,
I get fed up with people doing squats in the bicep curl rack!!
All joking aside, i think that its best to concentrate on your own performance, what other people do is up to them. Normally people are quit good in gyms and let you use the equipment if you ask nicely.

Heno

Full Registered User
All the reasons why I train at home.

My pet hate was people talking to me when all I wanted to do was train. That's what I went there for, not to chat to some stranger telling me how he used to squat/bench/deadlift x-amount of weights.

Now I train at home, I have a stack of weights, a 5ft heavy bag, a BoBXL, a pull up bar and a nice selection of KB's from 16-28kg.

...and peace and quiet!

Heno

boropete

Longterm Registered User
ive got a rack/bench at home plus loads of other kit,had to stop using it as i was going through the ceiling.just waiting to move now to a property with a garage (hopefully a double)

AMCMW

Longterm Registered User
I built my own gym at home, actually that's a lie - the builders built it, but best money I ever spent. Everything I need is in there, it's open 24/7, and I'm the only member. The yoga class isn't as much fun as my other gym, but you can't have everything.

D

Deleted member 33

It's the 'no travel' thing I find that's best and then to go out for a run straight afterwards without getting back into your car sweaty and stinking.

Further, as I work on-call its better being in more of a 'ready' position being a daily occurrence...

Rich H

Lawton

Longterm Registered User
Taking all the above into consideration, far and away the worst thing about gyms is the saggy old balls and full frontal male nudity in the changing rooms, I'm not shy or a prude but is it really necessary to blow dry your pubes with the gym supplied hairdrier? (I've got short hair and I'm a bloke so don't use hairdriers but some people must)

I go to a total fitness gym which is a good set up and quite large, the changing room must be a good 50m long in all, the other day a bloke walked the full length of it bollock naked except flipflops and a tiny towel round his neck, most normal people surely would put it round their waist, It really annoys me mainly because they do kids swimming classes and its not unusual for blokes to bring their kids in so theres girls in their upto about 6ish and these ponses and enhibitionists are strutting round like peacocks with their nuts out. Not on as far as I'm concerned but theres dozens of them.

Also its seems to be the in-vogue look amoungst our more senior members to wear lycra cycling shorts and vests, I think saga must be giving them out for 70th birthdays or something but the number of old guys wandering about in tiny lycra which hides nothing is remarkable, I don't know if thats unique to my gym and good on them for going and doing a bit but do they really need to do it dressed like Mr Motivators great grandad?

Another thing that makes my blood boil is people dropping weights, and not putting them back.

I could go on but they are the worst things for me. The good still outweigh the bad for the time being!

Paul83

Longterm Registered User
lol to be fair i find it more odd when i see guys wearing shorts or underwear to a shower as to what they must be thinking. In my new current gym for some reason they didn't consider to put in shower cubicles which would have been nice. So everyone sees you bollock naked. I suppose i should be grateful being raised dunked in a bath with my brother at a young age, using the swimming showers at school and in certain jobs i have done showering in open showers to know i myself and anyone else without any perversions wouldn't draw any sexual connotations to simply cleaning ones self.

Saying that though i think i did have a private fan club in my previous gym that never said anything but could tell by the admiring stares. Just wish people could be a little less conservative and adopt uni-sex showers/changing rooms so i could increase my fan base to be honest.

P.S
Whats the difference to post in ordinary and advance other than getting "trackback"?

boropete

Longterm Registered User
I built my own gym at home, actually that's a lie - the builders built it, but best money I ever spent. Everything I need is in there, it's open 24/7, and I'm the only member. The yoga class isn't as much fun as my other gym, but you can't have everything.
you got any pics mate? its my next project when i move house

standto

Longterm Registered User
People who don't put their weights away back on the racks and leave the leg press with 400kg on it. Same for dumbells that get left lying around. Members who drop the dumbells from a ridiculous height. General disregard for the equipment and facility.

People on treadmills who hold on to the handles with an incline set.

Leaving your proteins bags and powder lying around the sinks.

Chalk spilt all over the free weights area

Outdoor trainers covered in mud in the gym, especially on the treads.

I could go on!lol....

maximuszx12

Longterm Registered User
Our 'Old School Gym.'

*Lack of hygiene in the gym.

*Itching powder in your smalls.... and vest....and MMA/boxing gloves. (Never let em know you are feeling the effects though. ;)

*Grunting, screaming, groaning and overly loud farts on the squat rack/Leg press.

*No classical music or ABBA/Bee Gees!

*Not enough women. (The ones we have look like the Kingslayers enforced Female BG from the series 'Game Of Thrones.' :eek:

*Lazy/look at me/showboating/crap form/too heavy weight using unfit tossers. Now THEY really pi** me off.

* Anyone that swings lower in the changing area than me.....That includes nearly everyone then!!... Bastards.. :(

*Anyone with a better physique than me............................ See above.. ^^^ BASTARDS!!^^^

*Anyone that can lift, bench, squat,run, MMA, box/Krav etc than me......Guess what! ^^^^ *&^"£RDS^^^

*Traffic wardens.......Now they are ABSOLUTE BA*&^%DS. :mad:

But as Standto says.... I could go on.

Glad were moving soon. Bit of luck the rest of those big sods wont pick on me at the new venue.....
..............Then again, knowing them lot!!! ... B&^%%*DS :cool:

PS: I have a fully kitted home gym, but i am just a glutton for punishment. ;)

max

Last edited:

YorkProtection

Longterm Registered User
Agree with Lawton, no one needs to see the old mans sack!

Nothing wrong with grunting!

I also train at home now, no idiots, no waiting, no nonsense, that moaning bird wondering round sometimes does my head in though, then again I suppose it's also her house!

Top Bottom