Handcuff over kill?

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
So I recently worked an event, I don't want to say what event, or who with as they advertise on here. There was a member on here which worked along side me during the day and I bet he would have the same view point as me.

This event was rather big and plenty of folk went there, along side quite a few security, which was handled by one main firm who subcontracted to I believe two other smaller firms.

This main company, surprised me quite a bit. At send out, they issued as many pairs of handcuffs as they possibly could. And they were rigid cuffs. We aren't talking 10/20 pairs, we are talking quite possibly 75-100+ easily. All that was required was the member of staff to say "yes" when asked if they are cuffed trained.

I'm not a fan of Rigid cuffs been issued to non-police/military, and think it should be limited to hinge cuffs, but everyone had the rigids. The holders were 40mm holders, which got attached to standard belts (not duty belts, so they were dangling a bit).

In talking to one or two of these cuff staff, they admitted they didn't have a key, and didn't actually know how to use it. I also noticed that several staff had their cuffs so they wouldn't be able to access them efficently (ie, holder opener wrong way up, cant quick release, and even if they did get it open, the cuff was upside down in their hand..!).

I am quite a fan of private security been able to carry such items, but it does beg the question when you witness such an event like this with this sort of approach.

Just thought I would share this with you, and see what opinions you may have..!

P

Bad practise in my opinion P. I too am all for better training and for professional Security to carry cuffs etc but a company dishing out cuffs to people with NO training (and telling them to state they are trained!) is very poor. Carrying cuffs with no keys ffs.

Why should them being an advertiser here mean you cannot name them?

And were any of the cuffs used?

Scab, I don't know if any cuffs were used. Highly doubt it though.

Anyone could have walked up to the send out desk and say "i am trained" no proof required.

Oh one thing I did forget to say, which I think is BRILLIANT...

When they ran out of cuffs, they used ASP Tri-Fold restraints. Now I have a bit of experience with them. They are avaliable in many colours, and the red ones are training ones. The person restrained can just pull their own hands out with ease. Once the rigids were all gone, these RED tri-folds were been handed out...what use are training restraints!

TMAC, which part is a disgrace? Personally I find the scruffy way in which it was presented (ie not secure tight against the person, but dangling through different belt size). To the public it would look good and 'eliteiest security'

The person in my area, the so called 'supervisor' (who couldnt superivse running a bath) carried cuffs, and couldnt work out how they were upside down, and didn't present his key..

Pyrene, the whole thing really, not just the fact that there was absolutely no checking done on who had proper training and that any gobshite could be handed a pair of cuffs and allowed to use them......what's the point in specifying standards if they are thrown out the window by those who set them?
It sickens me when I see crap like this, some of us spend a fortune on training and upskilling and when this sort of thing happens you ask yourself what's the point??
It's bollox really, all these event companies want the best there is but won't pay for it, up until the last minute when they realise they haven't got enough bodies to cover positions and thens its a free for all, license/no license...doesn't matter, heartbeats in vests is what they want, brains optional......

Would be interesting to see how the companies managers would react if one of these staff applied the cuffs and lets say caused an injury (broken bones etc) to the detained persons. I would quite like to be the injured party as im sure there would be a lot of compensation in it!

In speaking to one of the guys i worked with, they said only the section supervisors carried handcuff keys.

A section supervisor is very....very hard to find, as the sections are rather big

Back