Has anyone worked as a bouncer ?

Jay Bee

1 of my friends is a bouncer and keeps telling me to phone them up and work for them, the thing is im about 5'7 when all the other bouncer's i see are atleast 5'10. Do you have to be build like a huge tank to be a bouncer ?
oh i know about the card you have to get aswell.
leroy wtf r u doin

There is no height limit but the truth is that unfortunately drunk people will try to pick on you more often than on 6ft guys in case of any conflict situation. :(

1 of my friends is a bouncer and keeps telling me to phone them up and work for them, the thing is im about 5'7 when all the other bouncer's i see are atleast 5'10. Do you have to be build like a huge tank to be a bouncer ?
leroy wtf r u doin
Hey up,
i have worked as a bouncer(Door supervisor) for a couple of years on and off. you don't need to be built like a brick shit house however you will get more hassle then some of the big guy's. depending on the area you work depends on the extra equipment you need ie stab vest,box,shin pads,ect just check with someone who works at the venue or area you wish to work? Best of luck CM

Having done this role for extra money on the side whilst serving, i agree with the guys above,more importantly your conflict management and general demenour should be assertive with a touch of professional courtesy and dare i say it nice at times to the right parties.
Make sure you can handle your self because when it goes tits its can be you one on one with a variety of drunken or drugged bigger boys than you! then his mates steam in! All in all depending where you are it can be a good or equally shit environment to work in. Choose your venues carefully and get a feel for the local scum,befriend their head guys but never let them take the piss. On the flip in the past i have actually used this working friendship to disseminate a conflict before it escalates to violence ,by just asking the chief(so called) daddy to square it away. They feel important and you have less to worry about. Of course it can all backfire too. Good luck .

Make sure you can handle your self because when it goes tits its can be you one on one with a variety of drunken or drugged bigger boys than you! then his mates steam in!

i had this the other week this huge giant coked up to his eyeballs - didnt liked being searched (more than likely finished it came out the gents came towards the door to the staires where i was throws a stool we grapple still got the radio but the earpiece and mike are dangling free somewhere - by this time my two collegues have left the gents seen whats happening and the biggest 23 stone just charges the guy into thje door frame we force him somehow onto the landing imon the left arm uber gorilla is on the left and head tries to get in where he can in the end he lifts him by the waist and we carry him downstairs - uber gorilla is 23stone and kicking out at 6' 3" and the punter was 2" minimum taller than our gorilla

i had this the other week this huge giant coked up to his eyeballs - didnt liked being searched (more than likely finished it came out the gents came towards the door to the staires where i was throws a stool we grapple still got the radio but the earpiece and mike are dangling free somewhere - by this time my two collegues have left the gents seen whats happening and the biggest 23 stone just charges the guy into thje door frame we force him somehow onto the landing imon the left arm uber gorilla is on the left and head tries to get in where he can in the end he lifts him by the waist and we carry him downstairs - uber gorilla is 23stone and kicking out at 6' 3" and the punter was 2" minimum taller than our gorilla

and that has the worst grammer and spelling that i have ever seen:eek:

Well as the name suggests I'm very little. I've been doing the doors for nearly 5 years. I don't find that I get that much more hassle than the big lads. You get the odd idiot that won't do as they're told because they think your not capable of throwing them out so there are times you have to use force when a bigger person would not. However, most of the time it is about being assertive and if you are confident that you can deal with any situation then the punter will pick up on that and back down. You will also find that after you've ejected a few people word will get round that you can do the job and the regulars won't play up.
You do have to be able to handle yourself, there are too many people going into the industry who think that they can manage with just conflict management skills and can't deal with anything physical.
You also have to have your wits about you at all times. Things can go from peaceful to big kick-off in a second and you may find yourself in the middle of a mass brawl with glasses flying everywhere.

leroy wtf r u doin

Size does not matter, but attitude is everything. Also if you work with a good team it can make all the difference to your learning curve.

Personally mate, I would say dont bother. Ive been in it 5 years which isnt long to be fair but I've worked in somes of Birmingham's worst clubs and have just finished working Coventry city centre. The drink isnt the problem these days its the drugs. Drunks are easy to deal with but someone on half a dozen lines of coke is a real handful and will test you to the limit. Im no man mountain im 6'2" and average build and you will get more trouble than the bigger lads I can guarantee you that. Dont get me wrong the job has its plus points, the good people you meet and the lads you work with and just the general laughs and jokes you can have on a night, nut as said above when shit and fan collide it can happen very quickly and be very messy.

Good luck though mate if you choose to give it a go, sometimes you never know unless you try!!

The job is seen by many people with different perspectives, I have spent 20 years on the door, some of it was bad but largely it has been fantastic, i have taken my experience of Working The Doors and trained hard to become a Trainer for a Security Company delivering SIA Door Supervisor Courses.

People have many different experiences of the Door Supervisor Sector and some even may be put off bye the war stories. Dont be one of them, I would honestly say that you you will never know if you like it or not unless you work as a Door Supervisor for a little while, most people get bitten bye the bug and take to the job.

Good Luck

leroy wtf r u doin
work as a bouncer is not all about how big you are , sometimes the shortest are the ones to watch out for , aggression is a last resort.

Hello Jay bee
The primitive world of violence has so many reflections to the rest of the animal kingdom, I've worked with a few blokes your size and a hell of a lot of women your size. My best advice is don't try and make up for you not being a lofty by over killing your attitude and aggression, nobs will just think you've got small mans syndrome and make you a target for piss take. You need to be like the lion mate, proud and confident, not splaying your arms out and being over agro to solve things.

The guys I've worked with often had more problems if they looked a bit poncy too, so try and look and feel the part. I'm not talking about waltzing about like you own the place, walk about like you don't give F*+K who owns the place but be nice and polite. People will always read you from your body language and your eyes a lot of the time. The only way many of these drunks and druggies will give you any respect is if they think you might be something that could test them BUT having said that many of them won't give two tosses how big you are, giving a doorman a dig earns them a great deal of kudos in their sad lives.

Second bit of advice, get yourself down borders and do a bit of research, i used to read a lot of Geoff thompson books years ago and although the job has changed a fair bit at least you would be going into it with your eyes a little more open. Someone mentioned about seeing if you would need to wear PPE like shin pads, my advice is, wear it all, especially a groin guard, shin pads and decent boots to stop you from twisting your ankle. Just take care of yourself, theres never any harm in asking for advice in a world where sometimes it can be the hardest thing to bring yourself to do.

leroy wtf r u doin
no you dont mate some of the lads who worked for me on the doors are half pints but some of the best you'll come accross its confidance and compitance. so dont worry

Hiya, I totally agree with Littlewomen, its not always size and braun that matters. It depends on your mindset I guess, also your body language. I have been working doors for a long time. I have seen massive changes particularly with the drug use. If you can talk them down its a good thing but more often and not they are off their face and anything you say wont stop it from kicking off. It always helps if you work with a good team. If one of you needs backup then they shouldnt be too far out of eyesight to give you a helping hand. When it does kick off its usually big time!

Last edited:
hi.,
i ve got a bit of experience on the doors, all over the world actually. i started alittle group in nyc and we ve got a few doors now. The problem we have, my pals cousin for example, can really handle himself, but he is small. People want to test him all the time, because of his size. Now we ve got huge guys who are soft a tissue paper, but you dont test them, because if they can rumble, it going to hurt!
Sad fact!

As the others have said you dont need to be massive, you just need a level headed approach,confidence and a no nonsense attitude. I work on eye contact a lot and this tends to calm people down, also its suprising what you can do with a smile.

being a bouncer is a good laugh as one guy said if you work with the right team its good if you work with a shi. team thats when it all goes to rat shi. go for your sia licence and you dont have to be tall i am 5,4 and work in cambridge when bac from iraq being doing it for years

wullie psd iraq

Back