Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Craig

Full Registered User
Hi Everyone

I am in the prosess of of leaving the army my ROD is 29 Oct 08, i am looking faward to starting a new career in the security industry. I have complited 7 years in the infantry with a few Op Tours under my belt, i have a few freinds that work as operators out in Iraq at the moment for companies like Bluehackle, Olive and Laguna, i emailed some of these companies and i even spoke with one of the top dogs from AGIES and none of the could help as i had not signed off.

I am looking at doing my course with Katana security (CTG), do any of you think that this is the wrong choice if so any adivice would be greatly apratiated.

Craig

PSA

Full Registered User
Craig,

If your looking to eneter HE. I would look at Ronin.

co19

yes if your going hostile go Ronin South Africa!!

And I am the senior trainer for Greymans CP but we only offer training for people wishing to work in the corporate market in the UK/Europe etc

This advice is given with 3 years hostile environment experience as part of PMCs

Craig

Full Registered User
Thanks

Thanks PSA, Co19

If i can stay away from going hostile then i will but im not canceling it out because you have to stat somwere.
How often do you get new operators working in the uk, i thought that newly trained operators go hostile straight away to gain experiance and then after a year or so they could then get work in europe or uk or is that just a myth.

how often dose work come up in the uk or europe.

co19

In my opinion hostile environment work will not assist you in obtaining work in the UK, many companies shy away from operators who have done hostile work, corectly or uncorrectly this is just the case for alot of companies. The job is different also, too be honest in iraq or agfhanistan you are basically employed as an infanteer who can get a client from A to B, and if there is a contact and your vehicle is disabled you fight your way out of it aggressively.

Half the battle is getting out there, the next battle is staying out there, on my team in the first year 6 blokes were binned for various reasons, being alcohol related or just out of their depth, all were military, some were marines, some were paras. It wasn't badge specific. Their are alot of blokes I gladly worked with as a member of a PMC but I wouldn't work with them here in the UK.

Further to that I know lots of bloke who did 2/3/4 years in Iraq and can't get anything here, some are now plumbers, bus drivers and cabbies.

The important thing to remember it is a highly dangerous place going hostile, and the end result is you may die. If you go hunting for tigers don't be surprised if you find one or two.

Anyway I hope this gives you something to think about

Last edited:

PSA

Full Registered User
Craig,

Myth! Thats total bollox, Hostile environments will not aid your employment in the coporate sector,because CP and PSD are two different spectrums. It has been known to actually be harder to gain employment commercially than coming straight out of the mob and in to a PSD role with a PMC . The industry is full of operators with iraq/afghan on their CV through the military or latter PSD roles.
Will the CEO of a multi million business benefit from an experienced coporate protection officer than a cpo fresh from the pit with no coporate experience. (providing his theatre of ops is commercial)
Again two different spectrums, high octane or a discreet low profile presence. My advice is to do both and be an all rounder ,this will take time but you can turn your hand to two different jobs under the same umbrella when things are quiter commercially during the winter.
Personal preference of course.

Craig

Full Registered User
Thanks

Cheers Guys

thanks guys thats great do any of you know how much the Ronin South Africa course costs iv been on the website but it dose not give you a price

Boris

Full Registered User
Katana is over priced

Hi,
I did my training with katana/ctg, I believe that the course is not dedicated to neither conflict areas nor corporate/celebrity work, even though they tell you that you will be trained for conflict areas at least in a better way than many of the operatives that are doing work in Iraq, you will not unless you have previous military training. If your idea is to work in the UK, you won't need weapons training and the driving module is also pretty useless, unless of course, you are interested in ending up in jail. I would advice you to go and do a cheaper course, that gives you the basic knowledge and the badge. The probability of you getting any sort of work with katana is very slim. Your best shot at getting work is your networking skills, if you already have contacts you might get a job if you don't you will have to struggle. Hopefully you will have particular skills that might improve your chances. Good luck and all the best.

Craig

Full Registered User
Cheers Boris

Yeah mate i know a few people out in Iraq at the moment, Iv just Finished a 6 month tour out there in Baghdad, so i met a few blokes who work for Blue Hackle and ageis ect.

I looked at Katana because it says it gives you Deplomas at the end of it and i thought that may look good on my Cv but i will take your advice and bin it, i have heard a few people say that its over priced.
I got told of a lad that do the cheapest course you can find as long as it gives you the SIA then thats all your looking for.

Anyway pal thanks for the advice

All the best in 2008

Craig

Boris

Full Registered User
CPO445, no I'm not...
Craig, you are what you are, and I really doubt that in the CP world anyone will ever hire you for having a Katana diploma, they will hire you because either they heard of you or because they interviewed you and liked what they saw. You are what you are, not what the diplomas say, anyone can buy a diploma...

Top Bottom