Home Office state Police Taser use more than doubles

dont think I made clear what I'm asking.
i have not been shot by a TASER. Therefore, I cant tell you personally how quick it really works.

Supposedly the device "immobilizes" the victim, but its not clear whether it's primarily due to pain, or it really does freeze the major muscle groups in the torso. The point is this - assuming a perpetrator has a knife already drawn in one hand, could he quickly swing that knife with one arm and slice the TASER wires, or is this risk very small because the overall shock from the TASER attack works so quickly on the body?

cheers,
KL

Last edited:
dont think I made clear what I'm asking.
i have not been shot by a TASER. Therefore, I cant tell you personally how quick it really works.

Supposedly the device "immobilizes" the victim, but its not clear whether it's primarily due to pain, or it really does freeze the major muscle groups in the torso. The point is this - assuming a perpetrator has a knife already drawn in one hand, could he quickly swing that knife with one arm and slice the TASER wires, or is this risk very small because the overall shock from the TASER attack works so quickly on the body?

cheers,
KL

I'm a lead Taser trainer and I've been subject to it. The effect (subject to good barb placement) is immediate. Full Neoro Muscular Incapacitation occurs and there is no chance of waving a knife/cutting the wires, you are rigid, with your muscles locked up. The moment the Taser is disengaged though (safety on) then I could jump straight back up. A little sore afterwards but nothing to complain about. Because the muscles lock up there is every chance that the subject can break the wires as they go down by simply falling on them after all the subject has no control at all over how they fall.
Although a good tool in the box Taser is not the be all and end all "war winner" that some people think. Its important to train for the "what ifs"? and have drills/contingencies for an ineffective deployment......hope that helps...cheers

"The deputy foolishly brought a taser to a knife fight and when she deployed it on the woman there was no affect."

can you elaborate.
are you saying that the blade of the knife shorted out the wires from the Taser gun?
i.e. the prepetrator swung the knife down on the wires to shortcircuit the device?
was that pure luck, or were they brilliant enough to just think of that?

KL

Sorry for the late reply KL.....

While the deputy was being stabbed she tried to pull out her sidearm but dropped it. The civilian picked it up and shot the attacker. Myself, and numerous other officers have/still do carry an extra pistol in the patrol car and some ride alongs who are familiar with guns are informed of where this gun is just in case this very same thing might happen. Having a civilian with a gun with you is the difference between life and death in this sort of circumstance. The deputy likely would have died if she had to wait for another officer to arrive. She barely made it as it was. This civilian was awarded a life saving cross from the Sheriff in a later ceremony.

Back