Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How many hours standing do you do?

humadoon

Full Registered User
Hi
I was wondering how many hours standing in your job is?
I work as a corporate front of house officer for a major bank and i stand for 8 hours minimum in my 12 hours shift and i work 5 days a week.
We stand military style :/
Any tips to make it easier

ops1

Longterm Registered User
Your back will play up later in life, TRUST ME. See if you can sit for longer periods, or find a different job.

pyyp1980

Full Registered User
Hi,

I would stand with knee slightly bent and hips slightly rolled forward. A little like a pelvic thrust. It will kill your legs until you get used to it but will strengthen them and save your back.

the back and leg position is something essential to tai chi.

The skill is not letting people see you standing like that because they'll think you're mental.

Regards,

Pete

humadoon

Full Registered User
I have tried many times to reason with our managers but they are not willing to listen. Don't want to leave my job currently as job market is not very good :/

mantracan

Full Registered User
It may be worth keeping a diary then in case you do develop back problems. The fact that you've approached them and they've shown no interest is evidence of their intransigence.

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
good shoes, good socks.
feet care is important. Powder your feet, tend to blisters.
Get a good sole for your shoe

find alternative positions to stand in (like the one above, i am going to try that out this weekend!!)

portokiwi

Longterm Registered User
good insoles for your shoes our boot, alternate your footwear if you can and comfy scocks.
do slight streatching of your toes and feet while standing and keep your feet clean and dry.
sounds soft but a pedicure is realy good for your feet and many guys are now going to get these done as it helps your feet.
again good insoles are a must.

snapperrr

Longterm Registered User
good shoes, good socks.
feet care is important. Powder your feet, tend to blisters.
Get a good sole for your shoe

find alternative positions to stand in (like the one above, i am going to try that out this weekend!!)
Really pyrene, going to try it out this wekend, by all accounts you are a good DS, but consider this mate. You already look like a right plonker, by all accounts lol do you really want a funny posture to enhance that aura you have? Joking mate lol t/c :)

ops1

Longterm Registered User
Does anyone know what the H&SE has to say about this in their guide lines? Just a thought.

annie

Full Registered User
HOW many hours standing? REALLY? i have seen some bone questions in my time i really have but you are having a laugh right, i mean this IS a joke! It is isn't it?

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
Really pyrene, going to try it out this wekend, by all accounts you are a good DS, but consider this mate. You already look like a right plonker, by all accounts lol do you really want a funny posture to enhance that aura you have? Joking mate lol t/c :)
lol you arse :)

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
Does anyone know what the H&SE has to say about this in their guide lines? Just a thought.
Section 2 places the duty on the employer to be responsible for the health, safety and welfare of employees. Which does include possibly long term health issues (including the back problem already mentioned)

Section 7 however places the duty on the employee for the same as above.

Section 8 prevents anyone interfering with H&S equipment

So in reality, the employee is to obtain a chair and put it in an appropriate position in accordance with S7. However if the employer (not the site you are working for, but the actual company you work for) comes asks you to remove chair, then they are in breach of S2.

If the site you are working for removes said chair, they will be in breach of S8.

If in the first instance there wasn't enough chairs in the building to park you be-hind on, then your company is again in breach of S2. For the reasons that the safety must exceed the cost.

Safety exceeding cost.
Ultimatley if there is a H&S situation (whatever it may be), and it assessed. It does not have to be implemented if it is viewed that the expenditure exceeds the risk. In our case, back problems down the line could be quite expensive for the employer, so buying a £2.50 chair is reasonable. So in short, they should implement it.

But then you will always have them come back "but its not smart, you are not paid to sit around, the job description said "long hours standing up"'

thats how i would translate it all anyway

Last edited:

humadoon

Full Registered User
Thanks for the reply guys.

I can talk hours about health and safety but the employer says its sites requirement and its because we are very unfortunate to have a mindless and arrogant client who doesn't want to listen. he says if our company won't do it than he will give contract to someone else.
Its catch 22 really

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
Thanks for the reply guys.

I can talk hours about health and safety but the employer says its sites requirement and its because we are very unfortunate to have a mindless and arrogant client who doesn't want to listen. he says if our company won't do it than he will give contract to someone else.
Its catch 22 really

and on what grounds will they not supply you with work.....

its just simply another case that your employer keeping the client happy regardless of everything else.

Hi
I work as a corporate front of house officer for a major bank and i stand for 8 hours minimum in my 12 hours shift and i work 5 days a week.
Go for your CCTV licence and sit on your derrier all day...Simples!!

Carl Dowd

Hi
Good question mate... refreshing!

I haven't read all the responses to be honest but I'm sure and I suspect that you are receiving some good advice... You may wish to speak to the Guards Regiment or QCS of the RAF Regt..?

CD

RocketDodger

Longterm Registered User
I'm an ex Guardsman and ex plod and if I stand now for any length of time (even in a sodding pub!) my back aches.

So, take heed!

Do any other wooden tops have this problem?

Keep a strong core, lots of exercises you can do to strengthen your core whilst standing and you wont look a prat.

OR....carry lots of wet wipes in case you need to pad your Jack 'n' Danny....oh yes, and a dictionary.

AJ

Top Bottom