Improving skill set in security

shogunronin

Full Registered User
Hi guys

You may have seen a post of mine a while back asking for advice in catching shoplifters. Fast forward to now after trying literally millions of different tactics and techniques I am now getting pretty good at catching them and deterring. I am constantly trying to learn from people who are better than me and taking everything in.

The problem I have is reaching the next stage of my development. I am studying more of the law right now and trying to learn how to do investigations so I can catch the ones who are coming in and leaving cut tags around and etc

Do you think if I spoke to a police officer he/she might be able to give me some pointers? Is there some sort of course near London that gives you this type of training ? I have tried to ask my manager about further training but they are not really interested....

Just wanted some advice on avenues for improvement I could take in security work.

Thank you for reading

Hi shogunronin,

This may seem strange but the best source of information will come from the criminals themselves.

The next time you catch someone, ask them for their advice on how they would stop someone shoplifting! Even if they do not tell you, it will certainly give them a shock :)

Please let us know the feedback.

JHD

Hello mate,

There is not much black and white to study as such, beyond the already mentioned law and legislation of course. As you know each shoplifter (shoplifting) is different. Some will come back the very next day, depending their need (motivation). If you want to learn more about shoplifters so much get yourself into a busy london store. There (maybe in Oxf. Circus) you will see the whole world come and shoplift. You will learn from professionals from both sides. Otherwise if you want to look into Loss Prevention, shrinkage and or investigations there is quite a few online courses available. Such as for example the US run online LossPreventionAcademy. Where are you based currently, if I may ask?

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies,

I searched on line and found a loss prevention course. I have been Emailing American Loss prevention agents for tips and asking my coworkers who are better than me how I can improve.

I am based in Surrey in greater London.

Hi Shogunronin

I must say that I do like your commitment and dedication.

In addition to the obvious signs of someone walking in with big coats on in the summer, there are a number of subtle points that you can observe.

These could include the following:-

1. The people come in talking to each other then suddenly stop talking

2. The people start stroking their face, which is common subconscious reaction when someone is under pressure

3. They keep looking at their watch…….even if they don't have one!

4. You can see a sudden tensioning in their shoulders (often subtle but possible to detect)

5. On occasions you will notice that their feet are pointing towards the doorway; this is most evident when their body is not pointing exactly in the same direction (this is a natural ‘flight’ process that people adopt without even realising)

All the best,

JHD

Hi,

If you are interested in human behaviour involving dishonesty you might want to have a look at WZ @ (Wicklander & Zulawski) website, they run short online webinars in various categories such as employee investigations and shoplifter interviews.

Not sure what your exact job role is as such (apart from the retails security of course). But a "natural" progress would be roughly as followed: Uniformed retail security officer, Store Detective/Loss Prevention finally investigations/surveillance etc. If you need any contacts for Store Ds or Loss Prevention positions in your area let me know as I might have a few contacts.

One advise. Do not trust your "gut-feeling" too much, sometimes "the obvious" isn't. I refer to various situations for example a guy who pretended to steal. I can only assume that he tried to get compensation for being detained wrongfully.

Back