By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!


Jun 29, 2007
Door supervisors are responsible for the safety of customers and staff in places such as pubs, bars and nightclubs. Door supervisors usually work in teams and may keep in contact with each other by using radio equipment.


SIA controls the licensing for door supervisors. As there are large numbers of applications to deal with, the introduction of SIA Licensing for door supervisors will be phased in on a regional basis across the country starting with Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.

To work as a door supervisor you must be aged 18 or over, and you must apply for a licence from the Security Industry Authority (SIA) after taking a Level 2 National Certificate in Door Supervision.

It is now illegal to work as a door supervisor in England and Wales without an SIA licence.

The SIA will only grant licences to people who have the right skills and training to do the job, and who can pass a criminal background check.

From November 2007, all door supervisors in Scotland must hold a licence from the Security Industry Authority (SIA).

There are short and distance learning courses which can lead to the SIA licence.

The new qualification for the license is The SIA qualification for door supervisors which involves a course over 4 days (a total of around 28 hours) and involves passing two exams.


Training is generally done both on- and off-the-job. See the SIA website (in Further Information) for a list of approved qualifications and training providers.

You could choose to take further training courses, such as the first aid and physical intervention courses provided by the Door Supervisor Training Organisation (DSTO).

The Door Supervisor Training Organisation has been training door supervisors since 1997, and has helped over 4000 candidates to achieve nationally recognised qualifications in door supervision and security guarding.

Doorman state the second highest complaint is the amount of money they expect us to pay for this badge and the training to allow us to obtain the badge. The badge costs £190 and the training can cost between £150 and £300. The total training time will be a minimum of 30 hours including the two exams.

As well as issuing licences, the SIA is responsible for raising standards of training and professionalism across industry and reassuring the public by preventing unsuitable people from working in the private security industry.


Licensing for Door Supervisors was phased in on a regional basis across England and Wales.

Some employers may employ you as a trainee door supervisor and support you through the training and licensing process.

Door Supervision Licensing for Door Supervisors was phased in on a regional basis across England and Wales. This new law brings into force a licensing system for people working in certain sectors of the private security industry in England and Wales. This new law, enforced in 2004, brings into force a licensing system for people working Door Supervisors in England and Wales.

There is a new national licensing door supervisors scheme under the remit of the Security Industry Authority (SIA) which has been set up by the Government.

As from 15 November 2004 the Security Industry Authority (SIA) became responsible for licensing of door supervisors. Although the local authorities are no longer responsible for licensing door supervisors they are still authorised to enforce that door supervisors are licensed with the SIA.

Information and applications for a door supervisor licence can be found on the website of the Security Industry Agency which is now the body responsible for managing the licensing of the Private Security Industry.


The Council is no longer responsible for the registration of Door Supervisors.

Door Supervisor Jobs

Jobs may be advertised in the local press or Jobcentre Plus, or you could approach employers directly to ask about work. Some people work as door supervisors as well as doing other jobs. There are full-time and part-time jobs in pubs, bars, clubs, discos, hotels and other licensed venues throughout the UK.
Top Bottom