Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

iOS Walkie-Talkie

MBJ

Full Registered User
Hi every one.
Does anyone know if it is possible to use my iPhone 5s (iOS) to communicate with normal walkie-talkies?
Does there exist an app or an VHF transmitter/Receiver?

Last edited:

niallyan

Longterm Registered User
Don't think it's possible. The apps available require some sort of network, be it 3G, wifi etc. Not sure if you could 'phone in' to a base station to transmit or create an ad hoc wifi network (range would be rubbish even with yagi antennas), either way the other users would need the same app.

Edit:

Ok talking rubbish again.....

This might help

http://www.gizmag.com/alianza-dxb-smartphone-walkie-talkie/27074/

The alianza link at the bottom takes you to their site.

Last edited:

MBJ

Full Registered User
Thanks for the link.
That might do the trick.
Have you tried it?

There's a million of different app's that allows you to use a app to app, via wifi or bluetooth.

It's irritating always having to travel with 4 different types of radioes. So it would be so much easier if a system like "iTrip" existed.

Last edited:

niallyan

Longterm Registered User
Sadly the Alianza project is getting funding via kickstarter, so deemed a little bit out there/cutting edge, strange considering the potential mainstream applications for such a product.

Customloads

Super Moderator
Even if the right frequencies could be found, the power output of phones is way too small for anything sensible. Think how easy it is to lose reception from a cell tower when there is only one on offer, and that it with a nice big receiving station. Phone to phone would just not work with the current powers.

That said, it would be possible to produce an off-grid network of mobile or fixed cells. But pricey.

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
That alliannz looks a nice bit of kit, will be watching for it when it comes out...

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

Customloads

Super Moderator
Of far greater interest for me is the new App from Airwaves, allowing any smartphone user to be added to a TETRA talk group. :)

Still no good in a remote setting though.

sekura

Full Registered User
Sorry for the digging up this necropost but thought I'd chip in my own personal knowledge on the matter,

Yes this is possible and it can be incredibly cheaply, assuming you've already got a phone, spare PC and a radio.

Just as Oscar said, Zello is a good solution.

There's quite a few people who have implemented Zello to radio systems and they work rather well. 2 summers ago I spoke to an English retiree in the South of France from by kitchen using the same sort of system. It was patched through PMR446 (the Europe-wide common licence-free walkie talkie band) and worked amazingly well.

Check out these two videos. The first one is more of a demonstration:

[video=youtube;lS8aAG7fBaY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS8aAG7fBaY[/video]

And here's a tutorial:

[video=youtube;LXvhvV57UtM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXvhvV57UtM[/video]

If you're into radios and the like, check out his other videos. He covers DMR/MotoTRBO alot which may be useful to some.

G6 Global Communications

Longterm Registered User
Hi MBJ

This is absolutely possible but not simple. I'd need to know more about your set up and how/where you want it to operate. Feel free to give me a call on 07768 501775 or email me andrew@g6-global.com and I can answer all of your questions.

Hi every one.
Does anyone know if it is possible to use my iPhone 5s (iOS) to communicate with normal walkie-talkies?
Does there exist an app or an VHF transmitter/Receiver?

Top Bottom