Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Iraq "certificate of non-criminal conviction" (police check)

stewmac91

Full Registered User
Hi Ladies/Gents,

As part of a vetting process, I've been asked to provide a "certificate of non-criminal conviction", essentially a criminal history check, covering my time working in Iraq. Being familiar with the bureaucracy associated with the Iraqi system, I'm not anticipating that this will be a straightforward process. Does anyone from a contractor/expat background have any experience of sourcing one of these background checks, and if so, how did you go about it?

Thanks, Stu

Gi0vanni2

Full Registered User
JUST MY EXPERIENCE, MAYBE YOUR LOCAL CONTRACT DIFFER BUT:

As far as I remember if you were working under the shield of a national army the local law was not applying to you, you should instead get your army... representatives to prepare a "honorable discharge" or some in the line of that documents stating that during your involvement in the theatre no issues were raised against you.

Same applies as PC: "Officers should note in particular that private security contractors may be covered by the immunities set out in CPA Order 17, which remains in force as part of Iraqi law. This applies to contractors who are providing security services to diplomatic missions, the Multinational Force, international consultants and other contractors defined in the Order, and their personnel. Private security companies must also comply with all CPA Orders and Memoranda, including CPA Memorandum 17, which obliges all such companies operating in Iraq to obtain a Business License from the Iraqi Ministry of Trade and an Operating License from the Iraqi Ministry of the Interior (MOI). The MOI will monitor the actions of such companies and can revoke their Operating License. The contracting State has the right to waive the immunity of such companies."
So if your company had the license you were far away from the Irak police and legal system to get a hold of you and again the UK representatives (or better your company local office and central command) should be able to provide you with the "honorable discharge" and so on.

IF I AM MAKING A MISTAKE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN MY KNOWLEDGE PLEASE.

stewmac91

Full Registered User
Thanks for taking the time to provide that information, I think that may be quite helpful.

RocketDodger

Longterm Registered User
Hi Ladies/Gents,

As part of a vetting process, I've been asked to provide a "certificate of non-criminal conviction", essentially a criminal history check, covering my time working in Iraq. Being familiar with the bureaucracy associated with the Iraqi system, I'm not anticipating that this will be a straightforward process. Does anyone from a contractor/expat background have any experience of sourcing one of these background checks, and if so, how did you go about it?

Thanks, Stu
Download a PDF Form from 'Word', fill it in (along the lines of 'I ain't done nothing that would garner me a criminal conviction in this country') , then take it to a local Solicitor to notarise and sign it. Total cost = £5.

protectasia

Longterm Registered User
Hi Ladies/Gents,

Thanks, Stu
I'm no expert, but would have thought references from your employer(s) whilst in Iraq would suffice.

Top Bottom