Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
We have an argument going with a former bouncer who claims that he would confiscate peoples' property if it was against the nightclub rules. Examples: Marijuana, outside alcohol, water, weapons.

Most of us believe that a bouncer does not have this authority and this person's actions were criminal. Does anyone know of any laws that pertain to this?
To the people who ask why I would bring contraband to a nightclub:

This is hypothetical situation which arose when a former bouncer friend mentioned that he would confiscate items that the club did not allow and we wanted to know the law's view on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

skull

Full Registered User
lol if its drugs or a weapon it can be taken and the police called . who would take a knife or drugs off a punter then give it them back when they leave , dumb .

PSA

Full Registered User
If you are in posession of a suspected item,you should be asked to be searched. If refused there is simply no entry allowed. If searched and found to have an item that can be used to harm others or threaten in any way it can be held for you untill the end of the night,failure to comply is no entry.If you are found with weapons or drugs or any suspected contraband or substance that arouses necessary suspicion of the door supervisor,he can confiscate and hold the items with your self pending police arrival.

CO19-any advances!

Pepe

Full Registered User
If you are in posession of a suspected item,you should be asked to be searched. If refused there is simply no entry allowed. If searched and found to have an item that can be used to harm others or threaten in any way it can be held for you untill the end of the night,failure to comply is no entry.If you are found with weapons or drugs or any suspected contraband or substance that arouses necessary suspicion of the door supervisor,he can confiscate and hold the items with your self pending police arrival.

CO19-any advances!
In a nutshell without going over the top that just about sums it up! I have recently done some door work and that is along the lines that I worked.

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
As well as confiscating things that are illegal they will also confiscate other things which is more complicated. Some places confiscate food because they sell it inside, live venues might not allow professional cameras etc. With these items you will always have the option of taking stuff back to your car and returning, you may be able to leave items such as cameras in a cloak room. Otherwise its a case of 'you can take it away, consume it or put it in the bin provided but you can't bring it in'

Roy

Full Registered User
as for drugs most clubs now days have a box that only the police can open and they are put in there so yes they can be taken but as for wepons I dont think you have the right to take them without the persons permission but most give it if you say you will involve police

JR199

Full Registered User
"This is hypothetical situation which arose when a former bouncer friend mentioned that he would confiscate items that the club did not allow and we wanted to know the law's view on this topic."

If he did that, he would be in the shit! As said above, if a search reveals something illegal i.e. weapon, drugs etc, you have power to seize and give to management / plod. If it is alcohol, it could be a condition of entry they hand it over, otherwise it could create a drama and allegations of theft.

JR

FACSGC

Longterm Registered User
we have recently been advised to search all bags for aerosols and we tell the punters they can be collected at the end of the night - not one person has they stay for a week then they are binned

lincsdoorman

Full Registered User
Like PSA said, when you enter a venue you should be asked if you mind being searched, if you refuse you will be shown the door. Depending on what is found during searches police may be called and you will detained until they arrive. If its a small wrap or bit of green etc it should be put in a sealed bag, documented and put in the drugs bin which police empty from time to time. Depending on your attitude towards doorstaff you may be allowed to stay. I always ask if someone has anything on them which would interest the police, drugs,weapons etc. Thats the only chance i give them, if they say no and i subsequently find something,their gone...either walking off on their own or with police taking them.

Top Bottom