Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is PI business still Viable?

Optimum

Hi,

I retired after 20+ years police service and have been following the talk of regulation of this line of work for the past few years, I read the other day that regulation will increase the work load of those seemingly qualified?

I have looked at 3 courses so far (level 3) which all seem to offer roughly the same for similar price. Do you think setting up a PI business is still viable nowadays, is it a saturated market? Has recession affected business? Which line of work is most searched for on google by potential clients?

Part time would suit me so I am not necessarily looking for a second career with full time hours.

It’s indeed viable. Private investigators are in high demand, especially in the US. So, there shouldn’t be any dearth of work. However, the kind of work you get would depend a lot on how good you are and how you make your customers feel.
Given your 20 years of experience with the Police Service, I’m sure you would have gained knowledge of various aspects of the law and collecting evidence. This would really help your PI profile, although the work demands more than that. You need to win the confidence of the client and gain their trust. You could consider beginning with a particular field and then expand your business. Find more information on PIs here: Private Investigator Services

M.R.Investigations

Longterm Registered User
I wouldn't want to be starting out right now in all honesty. I see this industry being flooded by ex military that are jumping off the sinking CP ship.

Prices are dropping for surveillance tasks and I'm seeing new websites popping up left right and centre. A licence will just be a test you can swat up on, pay your money, pass your test and here's your licence sir! I doubt if you will be required to evidence any field skills and will just be an earner for the Sia and their approved training providers. Sorry if I'm being negative but this is what I am seeing.

shinobisecurity

Full Registered User
This is an excellent question and I am looking forward to more input. I believe a few of you have mentioned it but it appears to be a saturated market. Some other closely related occupations are starting to shift over into P.I. Many close protection guys are shifting over to P.I. Both seem saturated right now as military personnel are coming home from overs seas.

Top Bottom