Is there a requirement to hold a full UK driving license prior to joining RMP

Stephen1

Full Registered User
Good evening all,

I have heard that to join the RMP in the Army or RAF you don`t need a driving license.

Could anyone confirm this please?

Thanks.

Ste.

The Royal Military Police, Royal Air Force Police or Royal Navy Police all teach you to drive if you don't have a license.

Last edited:
As Op144 says you get it free. It is mandatory for recruits to be placed on a driving course upon completion of phase 2 training or within 1 year of passing out. Whether it happens throughout the forces is another matter. I should imagine it is imperative that RMP's hold a B licence at least before being posted to their unit. My son is currently in phase 2 training and has just passed his C licence this week.

Old thread but it's still visible on the forum so I thought I'd add... I visited the Careers office about a year or so ago and the RAF lady told me I needed a full driving license before I joined up to the RAF Police.

Royal Navy Police and that was in 2000,

Although iaw the current BR3 then you are still eligible to attend a driving course if selected.

Royal Navy Police and that was in 2000,

Although iaw the current BR3 then you are still eligible to attend a driving course if selected.

Must have duff gen on RNP then, I previously worked alongside the Regulators and they told me you needed a licence.

My point still stands for the RAF though.

Back