Job application refused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanrof

I am new to here so would love any form of constructive advice please.
I recently applied for a corporate security position working for a blue chip company in Kent. This was to work 3x12 hr shifts per week as a corporate security officer for the offices of an investment firm.
My background is that I served more than 12 yrs in the Met including Royal Protection . I have also recently worked worldwide as an international safety advisor and obtained further certs such as management of major emergencies, First Aid, and Nebosh general to name but a few.

There appeared to be a mistake by this company ( octavia ) in inviting me for interview as in their application pack was details for me to fill in my SIA info. I contacted them and told them I had no SIA badge, as I explained to the initial telephone interviewer, but was now told I needed one and they could not proceed any further with my application and my interview would be cancelled. They asked me to get in touch should I complete such course.
I have recently returned home to the UK and was just looking for a 3 day position so I could spend that extra time with the family . I am not by any means criticising their decision, but am scratching my head as to how a guy who for example had been a lorry driver all his life , but completed a 4 day SIA course would be more suitable or considered better qualified for such a job than me ?
Any constructive advice here, or opinions on what options are open to me would be most appreciated.
Many thanks.

Last edited:
I am new to here so would love any form of constructive advice please.
I recently applied for a corporate security position working for a blue chip company in Kent. This was to work 3x12 hr shifts per week as a corporate security officer for the offices of an investment firm.
My background is that I served more than 12 yrs in the Met including Royal Protection . I have also recently worked worldwide as an international safety advisor and obtained further certs such as management of major emergencies, First Aid, and Nebosh general to name but a few.

There appeared to be a mistake by this company ( octavia ) in inviting me for interview as in their application pack was details for me to fill in my SIA info. I contacted them and told them I had no SIA badge, as I explained to the initial telephone interviewer, but was now told I needed one and they could not proceed any further with my application and my interview would be cancelled. They asked me to get in touch should I complete such course.
I have recently returned home to the UK and was just looking for a 3 day position so I could spend that extra time with the family . I am not by any means criticising their decision, but am scratching my head as to how a guy who for example had been a lorry driver all his life , but completed a 4 day SIA course would be more suitable or considered better qualified for such a job than me ?
Any constructive advice here, or opinions on what options are open to me would be most appreciated.
Many thanks.

You will never be able to work it out mate, a lot of companies now only care about bums on the seat.
Any idiot with an SIA licence will do regardless of lack of experience, I hear about it all the time now.

Couple of things

Firstly if it's a contracted role (rather than in-house) there's a legal requirement for the person to hold an SIA badge, you don't so they can't employ you, period.

Secondly, they know you're not going to stay with them; your background is way above what they need, they don't want to waste time and money on you to then see you walk in a few months and have to start recruiting again, they might as well hire your eventual replacement now.

In this industry, get 'the badge' first. Then collect as many more as possible. The more you have, the wider you can spread your search, and the more value you have.

Don't get disheartened by rejection. get used to it. Every job you apply for will have at least 20 other applicants, some of whom will have the right collection of badges, and whose knuckles may not be dragging on the floor.

V :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back