Joining the legion

Wanker! Due to the fact that my wife left me and took everything, I do not have a personal computer and nor can I afford one right now. I do all of my internet searching from work and the websites with the cool shit are blocked here!

Wanker! Due to the fact that my wife left me and took everything, I do not have a personal computer and nor can I afford one right now. I do all of my internet searching from work and the websites with the cool shit are blocked here!

That's a bit harsh mucker, Napoleon was merely saying you can find all you need to know about the FL from the Internet, it's commonly know at humor & wit, something you'll need to get use too working with us Brit's...

Last edited:

First of all, don't call my mate napoleon a wanker. Have some respect, he's a fully qualified branleur.

Tiens voila du boudin.......

Go onto amazon website and get the book "Life in the French Foreign Legion: How to join and what to expect When You Get There"

Having read a few books on the subject this was the most informative, however, don't get caught up in any of the romantic notions of the 'last great unknown' You will need very little when you get there as you will surrender everything on your arrival including your passport, but they will let you keep french dictionary and address book. Also if its action you are seeking then this is a bad reason to join and the recruiters will not look favourable on this attitude, gone are the days where it was full of cutthroats and war criminals on the run, they meet there recruitment criterias and in actual fact you will be competing with other hopefulls for a place to start the training so get out there running and prepare for the process.
All the best if you decide to go through with it mate, everyone joins for their own reasons but from what I understand nobody will question why you are there apart from your initial interview.

No disrespect intended. Just trying to figure out what Im getting into

Don't take things so seriously mate. It wasn't a dig at you. I suggest you look up the word "branleur" in google translate (French to English) :D

If you are going to join, then you really need to be ready for the humour

I am not being funny mate but if your on this site you are on the ................'internet'.:confused:

The 2nd choice on google if you search for 'French Foreign Legion' out of the first top ten is the official legion site.

There is also some clips off youtube about as you put 'action', which I might add is a bizarre question that a former military person would ask in the first place!!!:confused:

Before you call me a wanker what tin pot army, arm service or corps do you claim / pretend to be from again?:mad:

My psychic powers also do not extend to your private life although if what you say is true then it is no wonder your missus left you probably for someone from an Airborne unit called 'latrel'!!!:D

mods: sorry but it was asked for.:eek:

AS mpctc said!
Take a good pair of nuts you gonna need them!!!
Be prepared for long days waiting in the sun sitting around and doing nothing and just waiting for a whistle to make some tests.
Take some money cause if you are rejected you will need a ticket back home , if you smoke you can buy ciggis there!! (just sometimes lol)
Take a good pair of trainers for the PT and of course your toilettries.
Thats basicly all you need.

P.S .
Don't tell them you are there for real live action.

LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA

DI suggest you look up the word "branleur" in google translate (French to English) :D

branleur/wanker

Looks interesting:cool:(FFL I mean, not the word branleur;))

Living at home still waiting(for a year now to rejoin Brit Mil, this recent delay is for holidays, I get to wait some more, lucky me) but with no job couldn't even afford to get to france nevermind taking money for a ticket home if rejected :( the alternative with jobs nearby are requiring experience/quals I don't have or to wash pots...it's not looking good

Last edited:
Don't take things so seriously mate. It wasn't a dig at you. I suggest you look up the word "branleur" in google translate (French to English) :D

If you are going to join, then you really need to be ready for the humour

Usually, Im quite humerous. Just lost sense of humour lately.

I am not being funny mate but if your on this site you are on the ................'internet'.:confused:

The 2nd choice on google if you search for 'French Foreign Legion' out of the first top ten is the official legion site.

There is also some clips off youtube about as you put 'action', which I might add is a bizarre question that a former military person would ask in the first place!!!:confused:

Before you call me a wanker what tin pot army, arm service or corps do you claim / pretend to be from again?:mad:

My psychic powers also do not extend to your private life although if what you say is true then it is no wonder your missus left you probably for someone from an Airborne unit called 'latrel'!!!:D

mods: sorry but it was asked for.:eek:
lol, US Army, US Marine Corps. Actually, she left me for some executive type guy who takes her on expensive vacations. Soldier's pay just wasnt good enough for her.

To end my contribution to this thread.

People can give you advice until the cows come home on here and different people would have experienced a variety of life in the legion, dependant on unit and location and era.

If you are really intent on joining the easiest way to find out as mpctc said earlier on is join as you will have plenty of opportunities from Aubagne to Castel (to a certain point) to leave officilally if it is not for you.

But I go back to my first post you will need 'a good sense of humour', which you are seriously lacking my friend.

Your comments also regarding are 'Americans liked' or whatever, there are a few americans who have gone on to make it good in the legion, but again everyone is different and only you will know your mental & physical capabilities.

It really does not cost that much for flights these days and if you are in the UK then Marseille is a popular location for most budget airlines and dependant on your UK airport only an hour and a half away.

If you are genuine on joining then I wish you all the luck in the world but again judging on the way you have just joined the forum and posted quite bizarre comments (my opinion and view) when you could of come across the information easily in other places on the internet I doubt it.

Thanks, I think. I have read alot about it. Just doing thorough research and wanted to some advice and/or first hand knowledge.

lol, US Army, US Marine Corps. Actually, she left me for some executive type guy who takes her on expensive vacations. Soldier's pay just wasnt good enough for her.

Well, which is it, because the last time I looked USMC was part of the NAVY, not the army.

To end my contribution to this thread.

But I go back to my first post you will need 'a good sense of humour', which you are seriously lacking my friend.

Your comments also regarding are 'Americans liked' or whatever, there are a few americans who have gone on to make it good in the legion, but again everyone is different and only you will know your mental

Just rememembered In tchad doing the dambusters theme in the bar with the only jap in the company on the anniversary of Pearl harbour bombing the drinks of the americans .... they were noo very happy ...but classic bombing run with the hands inverted as flying googles .....sigh!!!!! sense of humor is a must xxxx Hi napoleon luck he didnt call you a Tete de Noued ...ooooohhh nasty american chappy xxxxxxx

First of all, don't call my mate napoleon a wanker. Have some respect, he's a fully qualified branleur.

Tiens voila du boudin.......

Hheh..Nice one..Could this be translated as "Dig in" (More or less)???Aa far as i remember boudain was a sausage..??!

Nice song any way

Tiens, voilà du boudin, voilà du boudin, voilà du boudin Pour les Alsaciens, les Suisses et les Lorrains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6yxMru9jE

Last edited:
Tiens, voilà du boudin, voilà du boudin, voilà du boudin Pour les Alsaciens, les Suisses et les Lorrains, pour les Belges y en a plus, ce sont des tireurs au cul.

1st sonnerie
Nous sommes des dégourdis,
Nous sommes des lascars
Des types pas ordinaires.
Nous avons souvent notre cafard,
Nous sommes des légionnaires.

1st couplet
Au Tonkin, la Légion immortelle
À Tuyen-Quang illustra notre drapeau,
Héros de Camerone et frères modèles
Dormez en paix dans vos tombeaux.

2nd sonnerie