Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Krav Maga

monaco

Full Registered User
Advice please, I am a 2nd dan judo but a new krava Maga club is due to open near me, is it worth joining or should I stick to the judo.

boropete

Longterm Registered User
depends what your goals are mate? if its self-defence,id add it to judo,i rate judo highly as the premier grappling art

dannywayoflife

Longterm Registered User
I aggree with pete. I personally rate judo very very highly as a real word art. To me krav is a bit of a trendy thing.

Scab

Longterm Registered User
What organisation is it under? Do some research on this, there is some absolute DROSS and crappy rubbish out there pretending to be Krav Maga. More crap than is good if you would take many peoples understanding of it from what you read on here!

Walks99

Longterm Registered User
I'd say just get stuck in and give it a go. If you find it helpful then use it, if you don't at least you've had a go and know what it's about.

There are a few Krav associations around - IKMF being the biggest and most renound but like anything is full of political crap and false/true claims (depending on your point of view) that you get in everything. I trained under them for some time a few years ago before the club I was at split away due to various issues and political/commercial problems.

BKMA is another good association that I then trained with and it is a good up and coming British association that have good classes all over the country. Some are smaller which makes it much easier to train with.

I'd say forget the political and commerical issues and just find a club that you can train with and give you what you want.

Hope you find a club and give it a go mate - I loved it as an all rounder and given I had only limited tiem a wek to train it made scense to me and has worked when I've needed to put it to the test.

Good luck

Walks

Dublad

Full Registered User
I've tried Krav Maga with a number of different schools and the standard varies dramatically. If you're looking to do some striking with some very basic releases from choke/grab/headlock and a bit of knife defence then give it a go. Be careful of some of the mcdojos charging an arm and a leg to "make you Jason Bourne in 6 weeks".....not mentioning of course that Matt Damon trained in Arnis/Kali.

james 1

Full Registered User
Good evening
I have been training in martial arts and fighting arts for over 30 years so before I give advice on this style of scrapping can I ask a few questions

Why do you want to change from judo ?
What height weight age and frame shape are you ? Just a rough age im not sending you a birthday card
Has something happened in your life and judo let you down ?

I am only asking these questions because they will help me figure out if Krav Maga will suit you
The three that I will always use are Boxing Judo and Thai boxing but these suit me very well and may not suit the next man

boropete

Longterm Registered User
james your a man after my own art,with those three choices.To monaco,i'd just add a boxing class to your judo,you'll be a fearsome opponent on the street with that mix

Last edited:

Sabre

Forum Supporter
Monaco, a fellow member MTS maybe running a Krav course with a program designed for the CPO at some point in the future. If you are looking for KM directly out of Isreal that includes third party protection which most self defence/martial arts don't cover then he is your man.

monaco

Full Registered User
Hi, not going to change from judo was looking for another form that might help in the job, height 6' 4" weight 16 stone shape gorgeous, got a mate that does boxing but I am worried about my good looks ( what good looks ), being serious think will stick to the judo as I love it and go to the boxing club with mate, thanks for all your replies guys, this is what I like about cpw everyone helps. Stay safe guys.

dannywayoflife

Longterm Registered User
I personally think that you've made a wise decision there mate. To me as pete has said boxing judo and muay Thai are a awesome combo. Boxers are the best ko artists out there. Muay Thai offers knees and elbows and judo is the vertical grapple king! Add em all together and your good to go!:)

james 1

Full Registered User
Yes boxing and judo can't beat it get yourself a 3 punch combo that knocks out every time then when fighting more than 1 punch and throw get them all on the deck the one that is still conscious send him byebyes ( people don't like it on the floor it scares them you can see the panic with the cold slabs on the floor there eyes wide open in horror there breathing rate increasing with every breath then the I'm sorry sorry please please please don't...... It's to late for that its time you said good bye. Its a funny old game

james 1

Full Registered User
Your not wrong but if you only rely on one punch and your challenger is a boxer it's a hard lesson to learn if the first doesn't knock out the 2nd and 3rd will then if he is that good at his sport take him to the floor and finish him. Always have a 3 punch combo in advance never rely on one punch you will probably punch the air swotting flys or put some music on so it looks like you've got some moves the girls like this. No one will remember the fly swotting just the knock out. But yes always knock out with the first if not then the second and so on in till you've won do not give in. Train hard fight easy :)

dannywayoflife

Longterm Registered User
Yep that's a good philosophy mate. Also don't forget the open palm strikes that Peter constadine preaches they are very effective and look less aggressive :)

Echo1Two

Full Registered User
Good evening

The three that I will always use are Boxing Judo and Thai boxing but these suit me very well and may not suit the next man
i agree with 'james 1' as you are rather efficient in Judo i would add sum striking arts. I currently Box and have recently taken up Krav and plan to add sum Thai Boxing and thought about Possibly Wing Chun, arts in which i believe will suit me. But a man of your size should be deadly enough with a well practised ROARRR!!! ;-)

SelfProtectionIreland

Full Registered User
i agree that boxing is a good addition to judo and makes a good self defence combo. krav has gotten very flowery of late and there is a lot of crap instructors. it seems to have turned into a money racket wehre anyone who walkes passed the israel embassy thinking hes qualified to teach. on the other hand, if you find a good instructor, krav is good for teaching some dirty tricks and thinking outside the box..

Scab

Longterm Registered User
Judo is still the best in the real world in my opinion.
Judo is a weight classed sport with rules. You know, those rules that stop people doing cheeky things like biting you or grabbing your testicles. Those rules that don't exist in the real word...

mag-to-grid

Longterm Registered User
I was at my Krav class last night and picked a buddy who was about 6ft and was quite a lot heavier than me. (I'm 5ft 7 and weigh about 11.5 stone) I picked this guy as he was one of the biggest there and has done KM for a few months.

He asked me why I wanted to be his partner "I'd just jump on you" I replied back go on then! Anyway after a 5 second play he was thrown on the floor and with a "stamp on his head" it was all over.

Moral of the story........ In KM, size and weight mean fook all!! There's no dancing around with your hands doing complicated moves, it's all about aggression while defending and attacking at the same time.

Top Bottom