Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Krav Maga

boropete

Longterm Registered User
Judo is a weight classed sport with rules. You know, those rules that stop people doing cheeky things like biting you or grabbing your testicles. Those rules that don't exist in the real word...
not in the dojo it isnt

AMCMW

Longterm Registered User
Judo is a weight classed sport with rules. You know, those rules that stop people doing cheeky things like biting you or grabbing your testicles. Those rules that don't exist in the real word...
Go down your local Judo club. Introduce yourself, explain your theory and ask if anyone would like to validate it. If it's a good club, with competitive athletes, you'll find no shortage of takers. Step on the mat with someone and go for your life - bites and ball grabs galore.

Let me know how you get on.

dannywayoflife

Longterm Registered User
Competition judo is a weight class sport. But general club randori is not. The techniques learnt in judo are very very useful in real life.

Last edited:

dannywayoflife

Longterm Registered User
Did another non weight class randori session last night:) I'm wondering if KM ever held comps would they have weight classes?

mag-to-grid

Longterm Registered User
Did another non weight class randori session last night:) I'm wondering if KM ever held comps would they have weight classes?
Personally speaking, and I may well be wrong.
I can not see Krav holding comps. How would one get points? Krav is a full contact, "in and out" type of combat. It
would be over in a MAXIMUM of 25-30 seconds.
You could have a comp on who has the best demo or most realistic methods of dealing with threats I guess.

In answer to your question, weight means nothing.
The only time I've been at a disadvantage (for about 3-5 seconds) was on the ground with my chest on the floor. But then there's a method to get out of that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scab

Longterm Registered User
Go down your local Judo club. Introduce yourself, explain your theory and ask if anyone would like to validate it. If it's a good club, with competitive athletes, you'll find no shortage of takers. Step on the mat with someone and go for your life - bites and ball grabs galore.

Let me know how you get on.
So everyone cheats is what that boils down to?

boropete

Longterm Registered User
So everyone cheats is what that boils down to?
depend what they're training for scab which is made clear during class,a lot do it solely for self-defence and fitness taking turns with opponents of different weights on the mat,the one with a comp coming up will focus on an opponent their weight.

Scab

Longterm Registered User
I know we have our separate opinions on this and that's cool Pete but it does throw the question up of why no one who defends Judo as a practically applicable system of fighting / defence has ever mentioned this before.

And I still cannot see how a system with its primary context of application being a weight classed, rules bound sport can compare to (any) system built from the ground up as a fighting system encompassing the best bits picked from the martial arts!

Scab

Longterm Registered User
Personally speaking, and I may well be wrong.
I can not see Krav holding comps.
You could not. People would get mangled. The closest thing to that would be freestyle type sparring, but even then when the principles of bursting in start getting applied that would still boil down to people getting mangled...

boropete

Longterm Registered User
I know we have our separate opinions on this and that's cool Pete but it does throw the question up of why no one who defends Judo as a practically applicable system of fighting / defence has ever mentioned this before.

And I still cannot see how a system with its primary context of application being a weight classed, rules bound sport can compare to (any) system built from the ground up as a fighting system encompassing the best bits picked from the martial arts!
its only a weight classed,rules bound sport on the tv and the olympics.judo originated as a self defence martial art for a smaller practioner to be able to destroy and handle an opponent much bigger,which happens in the clubs training scab.With regards to picking the best bits,the problem that happens from this is similar to what is happening in MMA,jack of all trades,master of none

Scab

Longterm Registered User
Krav is a bit more finely tuned than the MMA stuff cutting about today, MMA being almost a specific system of its own now.

Comparing KM to Judo, at a glance for Judo to be applied you have to be close - Krav Maga is all about getting close and utilising the tools with maximum potential for damage.

The downside is these things cannot be tested outside of real life; being the 'good' bad guy still does not let anyone realistically compare the application of full contact techniques.

dannywayoflife

Longterm Registered User
My main issues with km are
1; the lack of quality training.
2; the fact that its not revolutionary
3; the pony idiots who set up a new club/ assosiation every 5 mins that have no real life street experience
4; the thinking that its the bee all and end all of fighting systems

I personally think in the right hands taught in the right way km can be an effective system but no more so than many other systems out there. I personally subscribe to the camp of cross train as much as possible. I would train km but I've yet to come across a creadable club/ instructor anywhere near me.

boropete

Longterm Registered User
and thats the point,you dont find an easy judo club or boxing club they all do what they say on the tin,and its bloody hard and effective.

Scab

Longterm Registered User
I agree with you on every point. I did a few martial arts over the years myself and still dabble in this and that to keep fresh and seek new ideas. Most recently was Kyukushinkai, which I'd not recommend unless the idea of dropping your guard appeals with their being no head strikes with the hands!

Where are you near, Danny?

boropete

Longterm Registered User
Krav is a bit more finely tuned than the MMA stuff cutting about today, MMA being almost a specific system of its own now.

Comparing KM to Judo, at a glance for Judo to be applied you have to be close - Krav Maga is all about getting close and utilising the tools with maximum potential for damage.

The downside is these things cannot be tested outside of real life; being the 'good' bad guy still does not let anyone realistically compare the application of full contact techniques.
Ive seen them tested quite regular in situations,ive seen an 11st judoka take a 18st gypsy bare knuckle fighter into the pavement and end it there and then.
you'd have to get close to utilize those tools scab that would mean anything closer than kicking range is in the judokas territory which he owns apart,from if your a great puncher and you'd have to be great and that brings us back to boxing.

dannywayoflife

Longterm Registered User
Kyukushinki has some devistating stuff but I'm 100% in agreement bout the guard!
I'm down on the south coast near Brighton mate.

Scab

Longterm Registered User
Ive seen them tested quite regular in situations,ive seen an 11st judoka take a 18st gypsy bare knuckle fighter into the pavement and end it there and then.
you'd have to get close to utilize those tools scab that would mean anything closer than kicking range is in the judokas territory which he owns apart,from if your a great puncher and you'd have to be great and that brings us back to boxing.
There we must agree to disagree again then, the KM guy is at his best up close and personal... ;)

dannywayoflife

Longterm Registered User
I have also witnessed the devestation wreaked by quality judo. I used to work with a world champ on the door and it didn't matter who was in front of him as soon as he got hold of ANYONE they were F###ED! They face planted the pavement!

Top Bottom