Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Learning Photography - Post Open Source links here

mmorg3053

Longterm Registered User
Guys, I am starting a thread about photography, and open source learning.

Here is a link that I have been made aware of:

How to Learn Photography | Digital Photography Courses

Please feel free to post links to open source websites that may be of benefit to the forum.

STRICTLY NO ADVERTISING IN THIS POST PLEASE. ANY LINKS FOR PAID SERVICES WILL BE REMOVED.

OPEN SOURCE LINKS ONLY

Any discussions or 'non link' replies will be moved to another thread.

Last edited:

KingLeonidas

Longterm Registered User
I've been doing photography for a long time too. and I have to say that the more I think I know something about it ... the less I seem to really know :)

And by the way, will somebody PLEASE tell these manufacturers of digital cameras and camcorders to stop putting so many gimmicks, knobs and software options on their kit. It's past the point of being bl**dy annoying :)

here's two tips that fall into the "could be useful" category:

1. Pick any subject you like. Landscape, people, activity, night scenes etc. Then take a weekend and go and photograph the heck out of it. Take hundreds, and even thousands of pix of that one subject. Shoot it to death with your camera, from every conceivable angle and lighting. Then sit back and review everything. The results really will help.

2. If working SV pix, try shooting black cats at midnight. And regrettably I am not talking about this ...

Anne Hathaway talks breifly about the Catwoman Suit in TDKR ...

alright it might work for YOU ... but I couldn't get her to hold still.

KL

Last edited:

Visioneer

Super Moderator
And just to add to the confusion / clarification, there's vastly different techniques and requirements across photography, shooting video with camcorder, and using cctv/ipcctv cameras with long lenses, NV, and assorted other hardware.

....let alone software for image capture, image enhancement, editing, and whatever else !

V :)

niallyan

Longterm Registered User
Sadly KL it's very difficult, I look at the professional pics and think ' Jesus any idiot can do that and I don't need HDR or Photoshop', I go and take pics and they are shite. Glad I didn't spend too much on the DSLR! Camcorders are also problematic, the newer ones are great, miniDV camcorders (HC96) were awesome, apart from their sensitivity to moisture. The new ones with HD are so light that any movement effects image shake over all but the shortest distance without pulling them in close or using a tripod, neither are good without looking like a loon. My personal bugbear is the lack of an optical viewfinder on these new camcorders, I know you might look like an idiot on the street but if your using it in low light the reflection is a nightmare and my wife is not happy with me stealing her tights to reduce this.

Top Bottom