Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Licence category

Carl Dowd

That's a good question... never really thought about that one..? I don't know to be honest! the standard UK is this:

Driving larger goods vehicles (LGV) on a car driving licence

The Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) (total weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load it can carry) determines the driving licence entitlement needed. If the vehicle has a MAM between 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes then a category C1 licence is needed, however, if the (MAM) exceeds 7.5 tonnes then a category C licence is needed.

You may want to post this in the Cash in Transit section if you haven't already.

CD

pyyp1980

Full Registered User
You can drive a van on a cat B car licence. As all the security vans I've seen are transit type vehicles I think it would be a safe bet to say you'll be okay with a standard car licence.
That said the weight restrictions on vehicles still apply as stated by CD above.
Without knowing what sort of armour is applied to a specific vehicle your question cannot be answered.
If you are thinking of driving a security van as a career I would advise you to contact the companies supplying those services and ask if they have any licence requirements as they will be able to give you a definitive answer.

colonel45155

Longterm Registered User
Just to add... If you passed your driving test before 1997 you already have class C1 on your license.

New vans are being bought which means tacos will be fitted in line with changes you'll need a licence that covers 7.5 ton

TonyRes

Full Registered User
When I was on CiT many moons ago you needed a C1 7.5 tonne licence as the Mercs
are well heavy with the armour and all the coins on board...

Top Bottom