looking for a mentor

ryan000

Full Registered User
I will be looking to break into the industry soon, when I am properly certified and 100% confident in my abilities. Now I am no idiot, or unskilled "couch commando", I research any aspect of the industry I don't understand as there is far more sub-categories then I thought. As a green horn and one who knows humility, I have no problem admitting ignorance and asking for help. Although I can read till my eyes bleed, that only gives me information, what I'm looking for is wisdom. If one of you fine lads who have been around many aspects of the private security/investigation industry would care to PM me and take me on, it would be greatly appreciated. I wont be too annoying, ill do my own research and come to you for your experience with it. I think this would be a better alternative then being a forum mosquito, randomly messaging members and filling the boards with simple topics that more or less waste space.

Ryan
You might need to fill in your CV a little more and let members/prospective employers know a little more about yourself.
Previous experience, training provider, med quals, where you are based, where you want to work, what kind of work you are looking for. If anyone is on the lookout for guys then these are the bare minimum that they will want to know.
Good luck
Andy

So... in situations like this the Marsh Arabs would ask يجلب الى طاولة المفاوضات

So what my friend could you "bring to the table"..? You live in a mountainous area..? you have access to Horses..? perhaps you are a mountain guide..? a furniture maker..? You have a spare room near one of the most fantastic ski areas in Canada and you would be willing to provide accommodation, food and wine for your host..?

Just a thought..!

CD

Yes, I will be filling out the CV shortly, once some of the qualifications are finalized. I do live in the mountains, there is a very nice ski hill not too far, and I have a wine cellar full, ready to drink by the fire (that's how we do it here) There is much I can bring to the table, that can all be worked out in the fine print. If a good personal relationship is developed, Id be more than willing to open my doors, but I will say, summer here is soo much better than winter

View attachment 5638

little over an hour from my house

I know off topic but what a gorgeous area.

I spent two months in Alberta courtesy of HMF in the 90's stunning scenery.

Work hard at BATUS
Play easy in Edmonton and Calgary. ;-)

Rock climbing and rafting down the Kananaskis River..Awesome.
Mountain biking through forests and camping out.
Ice climbing and crevasse crossing over glaciers. Mint times.
A few run "a shores" to Med Hat, Banff and Lake Louise..
Good times sadly missed...

D

Last edited:
Hi Ryan,

I'm currently mentoring a 19 year old and it works really well for sharing experiences and him learning on the job. I also provide online mentoring to another 19 year old who conducts himself very well and is saying all the right things at this stage.

However neither have a wine cellar so I'm up for offers!

YP

Hi Ryan,

I'm currently mentoring a 19 year old and it works really well for sharing experiences and him learning on the job. I also provide online mentoring to another 19 year old who conducts himself very well and is saying all the right things at this stage.

However neither have a wine cellar so I'm up for offers!

YP

Can you explain online mentoring please?

Apologies for the late reply.

Online mentoring is lots of e-mail, text and Skype correspondence.

Helping to write 3 year plans, form CV's, advice, guidance, bouncing ideas off one another, recommending appropriate TP's, then ultimately sharing my contacts and network once you establish a mentorship of that level.

Apologies for the late reply.

Online mentoring is lots of e-mail, text and Skype correspondence.

Helping to write 3 year plans, form CV's, advice, guidance, bouncing ideas off one another, recommending appropriate TP's, then ultimately sharing my contacts and network once you establish a mentorship of that level.

Do you gain anything from this?

No I don't gain anything from it but expanding my network in both directions, down to people coming into the industry and up to those working at the top.

The main point though is people who I'd never met before did this for me when I entered the industry so I feel it's only right that I give something back also, what's a couple of hours every two weeks. Without this help I don't believe I'd be where I am today.

I'd like to think that's the whole aim of CPW, although on a somewhat less structured basis.

There seems to be a longterm hardcore of guys from various fields giving out advice, gratefully received by the newbies that can manage to string a sentence together and demonstrate they have an IQ in at least double figures.

We tend to be an opinionated, egotistical bunch, that are only too happy to share our expertise. (Frequently at great length, in tedious detail.)

It's good to note those that were newbies in the dim and distant pass and demonstrated they're in this for the long haul, by asking intelligent questions, rather than the 'gissa job' brigade, tend to still be here giving advice, rather than asking for it !

V :)

Maybe it would be an idea for the experienced guys to maybe offer some kind of mentoring to the new guys.
Not sure how it would work but I am sure there are plenty of ideas.

Us old farts giving constructive advice to newbies.....hhmmm...does it have to be either physically or biologically feasible ?

V :)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

A couple of phases that come to mind...

You get out only as much as you put in.

You can lead the horse to water, you will never make it drink.

So I suppose if we are honest with ourselves we all have had a mentor, we didn't call them mentors, but we all had them.
The lucky ones among us (me included) learned our craft from strong characters or we got the best bits from the team that taught us. Thankfully I have been lucky enough to mentor two such disciples...
One is my manager to date, and the other is a very experienced installer who every now and then I ring for assistance, younger legs can get up a ladder quicker than mine these days.
I think, now as I type this it is I who is the lucky one, not the two guys I helped along their chosen ways.

I nearly drifted past this thread, pleased I didn't now.

regards

premier

A very positive contribution to the industry, from my point of view if more people put back in, then maybe it is a step in the right direction to improving standards and weeding out some of the dross.

Back