Met Police officer shoots himself in the leg

Mnnn, see the plod bashers are out in force on this thread. Strangely enough I was present in Bastion when the loon with the 4X4 stormed the Airfield. From that day on UK Mil had to carry loaded. For about 3 weeks it was like fecking Dodge City with the amount of NDs, including one in the DFAC! Glass Houses Gents, Glass Houses.

Not plod-bashing at all RD but this is a plod post.
Who had the NDs- army, RAF,navy- and which wpn system?
Interested in your reply.

Not plod-bashing at all RD but this is a plod post.
Who had the NDs- army, RAF,navy- and which wpn system?
Interested in your reply.

All of them - and all light weapons systems but mainly the A2. A Rupert shot his laptop with his pistol and was so surprised he promptly shot it again. One of the RAF lads was practicing his 'quick draw' and managed to shoot his mate in the spleen.

Fu cking shit drills.
Was the 2nd option the Glock during that tour and were there many NDs with that system?

I think it was a mixture, Glock and the Sig. I carried a 19 when I was training the Iraqi plod as did the rest of the guys and we didn't have any problems with them.

As for NDs, when I was in KAF, many moons ago, a US Soldier decided to stick his GMG in the shower to clean it. Helps if it's unloaded first.

When I was in our telly room in Baghdad an ex-Rupert shot the sky box while stripping down his G. (well known event now apparently)
Complacency kills!
Only the ex-rankers got fuc ked off BTW. The ex officers never did and lost a lot of respect by not walking of their own accord.
Plus ca change plus ca reste la meme, surtout dans la vie civile.
If you can't handle a weapon safely you shouldn't be handling weapons no matter who you used to be or in the case of serving plod, squaddies- who you are.

All of them - and all light weapons systems but mainly the A2. A Rupert shot his laptop with his pistol and was so surprised he promptly shot it again. One of the RAF lads was practicing his 'quick draw' and managed to shoot his mate in the spleen.

A good friend of mine that I went to the police acedemy with got shot exactly the same way.

On a recent HERRICK training package one of the Range Supervisors decided he would run the Personal Protective Weapon package himself. Only he made a slight miscalculation and managed to shoot himself in the thigh whilst holstering his pistol. He decided to keep schtum about it and, in his mind he almost got away with it. That was until he collapsed through blood loss.

I'm a qualified Glock armourer, trained by Glock. The gun doesn't "go off" and it is one of the safest handguns in the world. The trigger has to be pulled directly back and there is no chance of a lateral pull due to the trigger safety.

If you have fired a glock intentionally or not, then you've fired it!

As for mud slinging ie Police v Mil, last year one of "the regiment" guys shot himself in the leg during a live fire vehicle stop, training exrcise. So it happens even to the best.

Pity no one can just say "i ****ed up" learn from it and move on!!

I'm a qualified Glock armourer, trained by Glock. The gun doesn't "go off" and it is one of the safest handguns in the world. The trigger has to be pulled directly back and there is no chance of a lateral pull due to the trigger safety.

If you have fired a glock intentionally or not, then you've fired it!

As for mud slinging ie Police v Mil, last year one of "the regiment" guys shot himself in the leg during a live fire vehicle stop, training exrcise. So it happens even to the best.

Pity no one can just say "i ****ed up" learn from it and move on!!

This has been my point all along. A Glock (although I personally don't like them) is safe and doesn't go bang by itself or "accidentally". If it does go bang when you don't want it to, then it is because of negligence (you did something you shouldn't or didn't do something you should have).

There seems to be a reluctance among UK police to call a spade a spade. The term "accidental discharge" implies that it's no-one's fault. Of course, it can happen to anyone no matter how well trained, but it is still THEIR fault and its not an "accident".

Last edited:
Any weapon that requires the "easing of springs" with a closed breach, will have an increased risk of ND. At the conclusion of a deployment the operator forgets to remove the chambered round and Bob's your uncle. Glock's, MP5's, G36's, 416's, 417's and plenty of others require this, so when people get tired, silly things happen. It's not unusual to load/unload a weapon multiple times during a shift, so it shouldn't be a surprise, if occasionally, this sort of things happen. Using the unloading bay or bag should prevent injury. Outside of that, as said before, my only experienced involved a mate who had clothing enter the trigger guard as the weapon was pushed into the holster.

There seems to be a reluctance among UK police to call a spade a spade.

Fortunately this is very true. Vast sums of public money have been very wisely spent on the professional development of our police officers to the point that they now think through what they say before saying it in order to avoid conferring any insult (unintentionally of course) on anyone they happen to be dealing with.

Now can we not use the term spade please, instead how about Manual Excavating Substance Conveying Implement

I`m not sure there is a need for Armed Police in the UK to carry with a round in the chamber anyway. The chance of an ambush where they have to instantly react is almost non existent, it`s not like they are doing CP in a Hostile Environment having to peel out of the vehicle shooting. Anyone who has been involved in an armed incident knows there is usually a long period of Police standing around scratching heads, report writing, discussion and waiting for orders - plenty of time to cock a weapon! ;)

Everyone carrying a pistol as a secondary should have a round in the chamber, its a stupid idea to be just loaded, after all its your backup weapon and at pistol ranges you don't have time to bugger around making ready, keeping in mind the likely amount of buckaroo nonsense you are likely to be carrying.

I think it was a mixture, Glock and the Sig. I carried a 19 when I was training the Iraqi plod as did the rest of the guys and we didn't have any problems with them.

As for NDs, when I was in KAF, many moons ago, a US Soldier decided to stick his GMG in the shower to clean it. Helps if it's unloaded first.

Glocks were not issued when the Bastion 4x4 incident happened, it was Sigs and Brownings.

Mnnn, see the plod bashers are out in force on this thread. Strangely enough I was present in Bastion when the loon with the 4X4 stormed the Airfield. From that day on UK Mil had to carry loaded. For about 3 weeks it was like fecking Dodge City with the amount of NDs, including one in the DFAC! Glass Houses Gents, Glass Houses.

This isn't accurate, the loon in the 4x4 initially attempted to run down a number of troops outside the RSOI training area causing minor injuries to an Officer, the rest dodged him. He then drove at normal speed through Bastion and waited a considerable time at the rear of a massive US motorcade before attempting to drive his vehicle at an aircraft. He failed miserably and he won't be doing it again.

The routine arming of troops wasn't for a week or so after, prior to that it was only the guys on tower guard, QRF, MP's and Force Protection that were routinely armed.

As for ND's the biggest rate seems to be pistols, mainly because they were a novelty too most. Around the same time troops were injured with a sniper rifle in a tent, a Inf lad shot himself with a MINIMI 7 times on the range, a foreign mil individual let of a burst in the US PX the stories are endless.

Happy to discuss Rocket :)

Last edited:
I`m not sure there is a need for Armed Police in the UK to carry with a round in the chamber anyway. The chance of an ambush where they have to instantly react is almost non existent, it`s not like they are doing CP in a Hostile Environment having to peel out of the vehicle shooting. Anyone who has been involved in an armed incident knows there is usually a long period of Police standing around scratching heads, report writing, discussion and waiting for orders - plenty of time to cock a weapon! ;)

The Lee Rigby incident is a prime example of why that comment is nonsense.

I take it you aren't actually a copper as your grammar, punctuation and spelling aren't too clever but I do agree completely that giving G17's to the HMF is going to go very wrong!
No insult intended by the way.

The only resin it is going to go wrong is because the MOD bought 40,000 Glocks so now every clown has one on Ops, instead of just a select minority, that and pistols are in every gangster film so people bugger around with them.

I actually like Glocks, I liked the Sig too, if I had to carry all every time at home, it would be the Glock, I have four it more accurate on the range than the Sig although its slower to get double taps off with.

'UK POLICE are among the best most well trained officers' oh yeah? A little story,

I had the dubious honour of being arrested by a fire-arms unit for reasons I won't go into here, (I did nothing wrong). They came around to my house with the authorisation to kill me. One of them jumped over my garden wall from an adjacent alley-way. His magazine fell off his weapon and the rounds spilled out on the ground. He reloaded the magazine and carried on totally unaware that he had lost some ammo. Many hours later they were still looking for the ammunition with dogs. A few hours later a member of the public handed in the rounds to the local station, well-trained - yeah!!

Another one of them was wearing his military medals on his webbing. I asked if this was official dress as I would be able to possibly id him with research just from dating his medals. The reply I received from their HQ was that in light of my comments they were now allowing them to wear medals and decorations on their dress, (webbing) etc. I pointed out to them that if this unit had become involved in a terrorist incident, involving persons with religious values, the sight of the medals could inflame the situation. What I got back from them was a 'no comment', well-trained - yeah!

This one with the medals was pointing a rifle at my chest and asked me if I was frightened? I replied no, I was ex-forces and used to weapons. I hope I spoiled his day. I pointed out to the IPCC that they should look into the psychological well-being of this person, 'no comment'.

Considering these people have a licence to kill (innocent) people I think from my experiences and that of reading about the people they kill on the street, I certainly have no confidence in them.

Yours, ever so bitterly, (all documented with IPCC)

So one of your arguments is that Police Officers shouldn't wear medals in case it upsets terrorists?

In my opinion all police should wear their ribbons and a Union Flag/Jack, its our country if you don't like the flag, its tough s***e

Back