Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Military advisor for films

deltasierra70

Longterm Registered User

Azarias

Longterm Registered User
As the Mirror are quoting one, I would guess, they have one already.

I expect a detailed knowledge of military history would be more relevant than combat experience in a current/recent theatre. To counter the criticism from the armchair experts that the soldier second from the left was wearing the wrong buttons.

deltasierra70

Longterm Registered User
don't knock anyone

I agree with you, but would suggest a letter to the 'Editor' and another to the Mirror's writer giving your views and comments on the subject. All you will lose, worst case, is some time and the postage on two or three letters. Also, print your return address on the envelops the way it is done in the USA. Also use two different types of envelops then both will be read, possibly by different people. Last thing, if not too inconvenient, post them from different post offices. In a short period of time you should get at least one reply. Open with a knife to make the opening neat and tidy. Start a file with a copy of what you sent (with the date) and the reply. NO MATTER what the reply is, reply back with a thank you, and maybe add another short comment. Again, copy and keep that as well. If no reply's or comments, write to another newspaper. Be 100% on spelling of the reporters name and what you write. DON'T write a bloody book, just enough to catch someone's interest. No one is perfect, so don't take the piss, or be political.
Last thing, get a simple account on SKYPE before you write to the paper(s) it's what every one I deal with use, as it is always read before email is even looked at. Also, much less unsolicited crap comes that way.
Good Luck!
DS

Last edited:

ops1

Longterm Registered User

counterforceslt

Longterm Registered User
Contact | Soldier In Blue

I think you are on about Soldier in blue the link i have included.But i think this is for mainly extra,s and the likes in the film industry, as for becoming an advisor to the rank and file you will find it quite difficult as their are some very good people doing the boot camp and main advisor to the leading roles.The way to start and get involved is register as an extra and get your face and particular talents known,if you are any good they will want you as there are a lot of non starters in that industry the same as the SIA role,remember to go in strong with a particular skill set or operational skill you have obtained in the past,just being an ex squadi is not good enough as there are many about.Good luck.

vincent513

Full Registered User
Thanks for the pointers. Looks like being an extra could be fun and the way forward to this sort of work. I just checked the guy out on the movie data base and hes done quite a bit already and currently working on the new Jason Borne. Sounds like there is a degree of luck involved according to the Mirror but I suppose once you get your foot in the door it must be quite a rush and well paid.

deltasierra70

Longterm Registered User
It can be 'fun' but be ready for hours of "Hurry up and wait..." and people not remembering your name, plus being asked to do things you may no nothing about. Don't say you don't know! Just ask how they would like you to do it. Whatever 'it' is.

Top Bottom