Muscle Talk: The Metabolic Benefits of High Intensity Exercise

I read most of that triple '2'... but not all, I have a low attention span these days I'm afraid! Does it mention anywhere the issues of slow and fast muscle fibres..? I know that, that point, makes 'no point' to personal training because I suspect one would train to one's best ability but for performance it is very significant and really determines the difference between those who engage with dynamic sports such a sprinting and those who engage with endurance such as Marathons...

CD

I may be behind with the research Carl, but I have read research which suggests that both slow twitch and fast twitch become involved, if the movement is sufficiently compound. I remember reading many articles in the 70's and 80's which were telling us neophytes how to train, in order to activate whichever fibres we needed for our sport. But recently, I understand the thought is that both need to be involved - in fact both are involved, whatever we do,.

I am from the school who believe that whatever your disciplibe - sprinting or steady state - your strength exercises could be the same. It's your attitude and need to succeed which makes the difference in the end.

Then again, a new and different research finding comes out everuy week. Are we allowed coffee and red wine with our dark chocolate this week:~)

We used to run a very simple test as PTI's for those who wish to become sprinters, obviously the 'Standing or explosive' jump, this is back in the late 70's early 80's mind... I have no idea where t came from or if it even proved or disproved they were capable of becoming sprinters, but hey!

Chocolate? now you're talking mate... My favourite!

CD

Back