Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBC Instructors?

gareth

Longterm Registered User
Evening all,
I have no idea if this is across the board but when I was in my unit we were taught the pneumonic TENBY FC in relation to a nuclear explosion.
It's been bugging me all night!
I think the F= Fireball and the Y= Yield, as far as I've got :)
Any help much appreciated.

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
The E might be for the electro-magnetic pulse that will knock out all your electronics. T could be thermo or temperature, ie things vaporising with the heat right next to the detonation. B - I'd guess at blast. C is likely to be contamination.

I really don't see why you'd need to know all that, all you basically need to know is you're F**ked.

SCT

Thermonuclear Radiation
Electro-Magnetic Pulse
Nuclear radiation
Blast
Yield
Fireball
Cloud

gareth

Longterm Registered User
The E might be for the electro-magnetic pulse that will knock out all your electronics. T could be thermo or temperature, ie things vaporising with the heat right next to the detonation. B - I'd guess at blast. C is likely to be contamination.

I really don't see why you'd need to know all that, all you basically need to know is you're F**ked.
V true.
I covered this on my JNCO cadre back in '97.
The DS binned the practical exams on NBC saying " Well, would you really want to survive anyway?!"
True words and very lucky too as nobody, anywhere in the universe likes NBC prac!

maximuszx12

Longterm Registered User
Anybody else done a 1 miler NBC run in belt kit with the DS checking everyone for 'mask to face seal,' no matchbox's etc allowed...

......Bastards, thought I was dying and we could not see fook all with the S6 (Don't fall asleep with them on!!) respirators.

Later S10's actually allowed you to breath and see at the same time which proved somewhat helpful!

LW, don't forget to remember 'The Back blast' effect whilst your lying face down, away from the blast, protecting your extremities and still managing to kiss your own arse goodbye! :cool:

Canister changing drills in the CS chamber were incredible fun and loved by all............:eek:

max

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
Anybody else done a 1 miler NBC run in belt kit with the DS checking everyone for 'mask to face seal,' no matchbox's etc allowed...

......Bastards, thought I was dying and we could not see fook all with the S6 (Don't fall asleep with them on!!) respirators.

Later S10's actually allowed you to breath and see at the same time which proved somewhat helpful!

LW, don't forget to remember 'The Back blast' effect whilst your lying face down, away from the blast, protecting your extremities and still managing to kiss your own arse goodbye! :cool:

Canister changing drills in the CS chamber were incredible fun and loved by all............:eek:

max
Don't know what the new respirators are S? but the canister socket seals making them easier to change, and you have one on each side. Easier to breath but you can't aim your rifle. However, I think the SA80 is probably short enough that you can put one through your head which is probably what most people would be doing.

KingLeonidas

Longterm Registered User
in reference to a nuclear bomb blast ... there's only two places to be.

1. 100 miles away from the blast site.
2. standing right beside the bomb.

you won't survive number 2, but you won't feel anything either.

KL

Top Bottom