Need some Marsec advice pls guys

pdaly1978

Full Registered User
Hi all
Just a quick message to find anybody who is currently working the Marsec circuit.
I'm looking for advice on the best training providers etc, being from Manchester I've looked at Wilplan for the MSO and FPOS I these are based in Chorley and for my PDSD and STCW95 a company in Blackpool called Colossal.

Another thing that's bugging me is a lot of Operational Marsec companies are looking for 5yrs Military service as a pre requisite. Unfortunately I have only 4 and I left in 2005. So if anybody knows where I can find companies that ask for less or are not fussy either way it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

trublue

Longterm Registered User
The 5 yr mil service was a pre requisite from BIMCO and GUARDCON, you will have trouble getting in with a decent British company.

pdaly1978

Full Registered User
Who knows im gonna try my luck with them all. Surely somebody must be on the look out for new blood.
Triskel,March security,Horizon Citadel and a couple of others ask for ex mil but dont specify how long. So you never know.

trublue

Longterm Registered User
Try Securewest as they are recruiting at the moment according to their profile on CTP website.

JHD

Longterm Registered User
Hi pdaly1978

My advice would be to look at another industry.

The fact that you served for 4 years will be an issue and the problem is compounded by the fact that you left nearly 10 years ago.

You are also going to be facing stiff competition from very experienced guys who are already operating in the industry, who have a proven track record, and can bring 'added value' from day one.

You will not be second choice....you could find that you are fifth choice. Here is an example:-

Choice 1: Experienced guy with a number of transits/days at sea under his belt and has worked for one of the major companies in the industry. Has taken on more responsibility, may even have written references from the Masters of the vessels, and can bring 'added value'.

Choice 2: Less experienced guy who has not completed as many transits/days at sea and/or has not worked for a major player in the industry.

Choice 3: A guy with vast experience in the Hostile Environment sector of the CP industry and is now making the transition to Marsec.

Choice 4: Former SNCO who has recently left the military, has good references, has recently completed operational deployments to Iraq/Afghanistan, and has training instruction experience.

Choice 5: A guy who left the military after a short period and left many years ago.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but I am looking at saving you money and time :)

There is a way that you can 'test the market' without actually completing the courses (you show the training on your CV as if it has been completed).

Regards

JHD