New gym gloves, advice?

AJStott

Full Registered User
Hi,

Own a pair of Lonsdale atm, didn't have much money at the time to buy any decent ones, only cost £3 from sports direct.

Since I will obviously be lifting more now, they are starting to get a little un-comfy and not providing much protection due to being too thin.

Can anyone recommend me a decent, but fairly cheap pair of gloves?

AJStott.

I dont see the point in these gloves to be honest, unless your subsidising your income with hand modelling gigs? Do they really make a difference?

My brother has some but I think he just got them to try and look the part in the gym, I have some canvas lifting wraps that I keep in my bag for when I go really heavy (my grip tends to give in way before my back/shoulders etc) I got mine from the outlet shop near me but they do mail order too.

http://www.sksports.co.uk/category/lifting-straps/canvas-lifting-straps-pair.html\

In all my years in the gym I have never used a pair of gloves. I do use chalk however. So as agreed unless your modeling for some diamond company with your hands or something like this I wouldn't worry about it. Yes you will build up a callus on your hands. That's a good thing. That does not say that you shouldn't look after your hands.

At the end of the day it's a decision you have to make. Try pullum sports based in Luton.

Tapmaster

Cheers for the replies lads, quite surprised in the replies but I guess thats your own opinion. I personally see the more comfort, the better.

I use gloves all the time mate... for hygiene purposes of course... I just feel a little more comfortable not having to place my skin on something where some fat sweaty ****er who may have been picking their nose, asshole or scratching their bollocks has placed their's. But Hey! call me a poof if you wish, or soft or a wanker but I sleep at night, every night very comfortably, thank you!

CD

lifting gloves!!! dont bother,id ban them from the gym.Their usually worn by the monday night 20k curlers and benchers.For heavy lifts like deads, liquid chalk does the trick for me

I like this liquid chalk a lot. It saves a big mess in the gym. Sometimes I do use some pulling straps to save my grip from taking a beating. My hands are thick enough already.

Gloves is just a matter of preference. Lord only knows these gym boys and their high protein blasting farts and dropping milk dud trails all around the gym. Nasty fockers I tell you.

Tapmaster

From a hygiene point of view I reckon the gloves will be a breeding ground for bacteria, unless your washing them after every session, the outside are covered in everyone elses nasties and the insides all your sweat, I just wash my hands before I leave the gym and avoid touching my eyes or mouth whilst training which isn't difficult

Each to there own, and fair play for not backing down to peer pressure! ha

lifting gloves!!! dont bother,id ban them from the gym.Their usually worn by the monday night 20k curlers and benchers.For heavy lifts like deads, liquid chalk does the trick for me

20k? you must be a Goliath mate! I couldn't even pick that up with 2 hands!... CD

Last edited:
Glad you see the funny side carl, and yes I was having a bit of a laugh, wearing gloves or not? Totally down to personnal prefrence! I do find tho for me it stops me feeling in total control of the bar, if im wearing gloves, as im over 20kg due to the fact that im so manly!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Lol, Brengunner

I didn't do biceps for probably 3-4 years up to now. I worked my triceps a lot as the bench press comes from the triceps and front delts. Not so much the pecs in power lifting. Didn't use any dumb bells until recently for my chest. When I started doing curls a few months ago my arms were already 50cm around. People ask me how to build big arms and I say triceps triceps triceps. Most people neglect triceps for biceps as everyone wants big biceps not sure why that is. When I was power lifting I treated biceps as an accessory rather than a necessity.

So that is where we start. To learn to bench and squat properly I would suggest going down to a power lifting gym near you and watch people squat. Listen to their advise about squats. You will find these guys have large legs and large bodies in general. Once you learn how to squat properly and learn how to deal with the pain of squatting. Sometimes my lungs hurt so bad that I can hardly breathe and start coughing for air. Then you know you are squatting. Take the full five minutes between sets. It may take even longer. Don't go to the next set til you can speak properly to your spotter.

Then there is the front squat and hack squat which are really specialized movements that should be taught by someone who knows what they are doing. You can get some good growth by combining them with squats. Most people say they can press 200 kg on the leg press. The leg press is done so so wrong people have very little range of motion.

I trained with a guy named Dave Talbot(RIP Big Dave your truly missed) he was the biggest man I have ever seen in my life. He would get up to about 24 stones and cut down to 21 stones 6 for the contest. Great guy who was a great teacher and friend to everyone who came in contact with him. He always had time to answer your questions except when he was training. He had some genetic problem that he could not control. He passed away a few years ago after competing at a bodybuilding contest. At the bodybuilding contest the athlete is supposed to be at his absolute best. But with the diets, no carbs, then carb loading etc make him at his most vulnerable.

Sorry to go off on a soap box there but I felt it needed to be said.

Tapmaster

I don't mind saying like Carl, I use glove all the time on weights. I find it helps with my grip and is more comfortable when doing all weight exercises, I also wear gloves on the punch bag so not sure if it's old age, us pensioners have to stick together, or I'm just a poofta!!

Gents,

Think we've all agreed that it a matter of personal choice whether you wear gloves or not. Personally the only time I wear gloves is if I'm sparring or grappling other than that it's got to be chalk. As a few have mentioned I'm a great believer in lifting straps as I'm trying to train my muscles not my grip.
R.e. gloves - don't think it matters what make or model you use as long as you like them. Make sure they're not to small or big. Leather traditionally wears well but neoprene is the biggest seller in the gym that I work in.

I don't mind saying like Carl, I use glove all the time on weights. I find it helps with my grip and is more comfortable when doing all weight exercises, I also wear gloves on the punch bag so not sure if it's old age, us pensioners have to stick together, or I'm just a poofta!!

It seems we're just pooftas Dodger, but prouds one at that mate... better watch it here Bro or somebody will sign us up for 'Stonewall'... Ha! :) Carlos poofto Dowdo

Agreed, though I have never used them in the weights gym. Regardless it is a personal choice.

Little tip. Take hand wraps,gloves etc in the shower with you. Stick them on your windscreen, whatever and they will soon dry out for your next session.

max

Last edited:
Yes i think that gloves become dangerous when you start lifting serious weight, as for example deadlift, the bar just slips right out of your hands. You dont need any real grip for squats so dont need gloves. And if your benching and shoulder pressing you are resting the bar on the heel of your hand predominantly. So i cant see where you actually need them.

Good luck

Back