New Kid on the block

Jester0A

Full Registered User
Hey everyone, hows it going?

Im an ex matelot looking for some help, support and advice from fellow Ex-Mariners! Im looking to re-train and get into the Security Industry. Not predominanlty CP/PSD work, though I would never pass up an opportunity. Advice or referrals for courses, information would all be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys,

Yours aye.

J

Jester,
It all depends what you actually want to do mate,I spent 13yrs in the RN and have spent the last 11yrs working as a Training Manager . I am now venturing into Marsec. IMSA.Ltd run the SSO (Ships Security Officer) and PFSO(Port Facility Security Officer) courses and I can highly recommend them if that is the way you decide to go_On the downside Marsec is hard to get into,I have spent the last two months sending cv's out to god knows how many companies and I have managed to find employment with one.
Good luck and stay safe.
S

HI jester

well for start welcome mate to this forum, you will find all the advice and help from the peolple on here mate. there is so many well experience operators on here that will guide you in the right direction.
probaly the best thing to do is scow through all the old threads and all the info is on there about what courses to take and what firms are employing guys.
I did the sso course with imsa, and i would recommend it.
get hold of the someone you know in the mob and find out about how to get your learning credits and try and get as many adquals out of them
what were you in the mob.(branch)

ill be honest mate its hard but if its what you wnt to do just keep at it . it will come in the end
good luck

harry

Thanks for the welcome mate, I've been looking at the SSO's course and it sounds pretty good, I've heard if I get in touch with the RN they can convert my BSSC course into civvie quals? Also a few guys are saying that you may/ may not need the SSO's qual to do "Anti Piracy" roles. The info I'm getting is kinda vague so Im plowing ahead to get some more relevant info. Im an ex WAFU. Most time spent in CHF with the boots but got a few grey war canoes under my belt aswell. Like most guys coming out of the forces you try and stick with what your good at, Im no door kicker but with the right amount of application/training i think I'd be employable. Ive got some ELC left and some loose change in my pocket so funding isnt that much of an issue.......yet. So many courses so little time!

Thanks for taking the time to give a little advice, much appreciated.

J

j
well mate being a wafu and working with the boots will help you.
ive found that a lot of the work will come from people you know. so if you can get intouch with some old friends and see what there up to and get some advice .

mate im a ex-dabber killick, whos done loads of stuff in marsec but im still looking for work.
you just got to keep plugging at it ,like i said try and get as many adquals as poss.
i got told that your bissc runs out after 4 years but ive just been inform it dosent but i dont have the cert to prove ive done it , so try and get that.
being a wafu aswell look at every poss mate i.e. off shore rigs to any thing your mutli skilled use it and once your in you can move around .
with the s.s.o you dont have to have it but it helps , contact imsa on here hes name is jhon, hes a really nice guy ha wont sell you hes course but just be honest with you about where to go , but i went there and there was serving matloes on it and hes really good mate .
but like i said mate go through all the old threads on here and all the info is there all questions will be answered already on a old thread as so many people have and are trying to get into marsec

good luck mate
harry

Is it just MARSEC you are interested in or are you willing to expand your knowledge base into commercial security? There are lots of threads in the security consultancy section of this site. Again, not an area anyone can just walk into and you will have to chip away at it but it is an alternative to not going back to sea. I have 2 weeks left of 22 years. Resettlement has been difficult these past few weeks but plugging away at the networking has been the key. I have made many, many contacts in the past month or so and wished I had done it sooner. No interviews yet but will patience and a positive attitude it will come, regardless if it is a grass roots position to begin with. Good luck!

Hey SPOMAN,

I'm open to all opportunities. Trying to play to my strengths was the reason I aimed at the maritime sector. The more time I've spent looking around the site and at old threads the more of my questions are becoming answered. Yea to be honest I wished I'd been more careful about my Resettlement. But im young and fit and highly motivated which is why Im pushing myself into making the big leap. I agree with what you say about networking. Ever since I made the decision to branch out ex-colleagues have been putting me in touch with a "friend of a friend" which is all good. It seems to be very much not what you know but who you know! Im coming to the end of researching my options and will start to apply for courses which will give me a sound base of knowledge with which to expand on.
I hope the rest of your resettlement goes well and your move out into "civvy street" is a good one, best of luck!

Once again, many thanks for sparing the time to add some advice/info.

J

Back