New to the industry

Duffman740

Hi Guys

I'm new to the industry and looking at a role in CP, would you's have any advice on what the best courses are and is it possible to get a job without having any previous experience? I was looking at doing a HABC Level 3 QCF Certificate In Close Protection & Concealed Firearms Course.

Cheers

JHD

Longterm Registered User
Hi Guys

I'm new to the industry and looking at a role in CP, would you's have any advice on what the best courses are and is it possible to get a job without having any previous experience? I was looking at doing a HABC Level 3 QCF Certificate In Close Protection & Concealed Firearms Course.

Cheers

Hi Duffman740

I would suggest that you use the search facility on the forum, as this topic has been raised on countless occasions.

However, in the meantime there are 3 points that I would like to mention:-

1. Make sure that the course is RELEVANT to the sector that you are looking for.
2. There is nothing stopping you completing your CP course with one provider and then completing firearms training through another company.
3. Avoid training companies who PROMISE work if you complete their course.

Good luck,

JHD

Johnstokes1985

I recently qualified myself, I have 10 years security industry experience and am finding it hard as hell to get any interest from CP side of things, can anyone offer any pointers, im not a jacket filler or a pleb! Cheers

marshy41

Longterm Registered User
I have a question, did any of you actually do any research into the industry prior to booking your courses? The industry is completely saturated with people, work isn't as readily available as it once was, HE work is dying, money is dropping all over the place. I am heading home this very week, contract I'm on is a shambles, long as hell hours, incompetent management, and 24/7 b******T and as a TL all for $250 a day. And all this crap I keep hearing about new guys wanting a foot in the door blah blah, yeah great, as long as you all take the low money the lower it is going. Companies are paying right now on certain contracts $5000(TL) and(2 I/C) $4000 respectively, in Iraq. Yes there are good paying contracts, but not that many, and unless you have experience you won't get a look in. Afghan is no different, the British embassy contract has even given a pay cut by 10% , the EU gig again is not the greatest pay, and Kabul is pretty tasty to yet money is poor.

UK side of life, well CP work is very much at a premium, its who you know etc, RST work used to be the way to break into CP in the UK, but even getting on a RST gig these days is extremely difficult. Lots of "walts" in those positions, and Im talking from experience of working with a couple of them. Yes all negative but its how it is, my advice is this, if you know mates etc who are working in ok contracts/gigs then speak to them get info from them on who or if they are hiring and thats both HE and UK side of life, look at bog standard security work, some of it is paying ok cash and chance of moving up the ranks so to speak if you get with a good company. Yes this place is good for advice but work wise its not the place it used to be, the odd decent job shows up and thats more than likely because they can't fill it anywhere else so it turns up on here.

The whole industry is as I see it is on its arse, and has been sliding for a few years now and it shows no signs of easing up.

Last edited:

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
Total race to the bottom, and licensing is largely to blame. Any gobshite can do a course and get a license, and I include myself in that. I got lucky, but it was baca use of a lot of commercial experience and swilling was to sell my soul for the first few years.
If I knew today what I knew in 2008 I wouldn't be in their business, as it happens, I now do really well in the management side so will be sticking at it.