Newcomer to the Close Protection field, advice very much appreciated

Gio1

Full Registered User
Hello all, I'm a 32 year-old British male living in London who, within the next few months, will hopefully have completed a CPO level 3 course.

Up until this point, I've had nothing to do with the military, law enforcement or close protection fields. I've always been very active with regards to sports and fitness, extreme sports and the like, but I completely lack any actual security background. This would be a fresh start for me in an industry that interests me greatly and that I believe, given the chance, I could thrive in.

I'm not a physically intimidating person, at 5'11" 70kg, approx 10% bodyfat, but I can definitely hold my own. I'm very physically fit and I spent most of my youth practising several martial arts...then real life got in the way and I strayed off until now. I'd like to get into something like Krav Maga or Systema, so I'll hopefully be adding that to my CV very soon.

As someone who desperately wants to get into a field that is so experience-dependent, I need to know beforehand if I'm essentially just wasting my time. I don't mind the first few years being low-paid jobs, but I really need to know if I stand any chance at all of getting my foot in the door. Any opinions and/or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

edit:

It may or may not be useful to add that, to this day, I've never so much as had a parking ticket, so my criminal record is nonexistent.

Everyone starts out some where.

For what reason have you decided to get into the security industry?

What sort of work have you been doing?

In all honesty mate it sounds like your wasting your time, CP is such a competitive game the industry is flooded with experienced operatives and many of them are sat on their arse at home with no work. I have many friends who have chased the dream and fell flat.

Although military experience is not essential it has certainly helped me in gaining employment. As a minimum you would be expected to have some for of security background.

The best advice I can offer is if you really want to get into this industry, you should think about doing some different security roles for a few years prior to spending a load of money on a CP course for no reason. You can gain a lot of experience from working at events and can build up the contacts that you'll need to succeed as theres a very popular saying in the industry "Its not what you know, its who you know".

Essentially its your decision to make so good luck with what ever you choose to do.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying.

I feel that the security industry, specifically close protection, is what I was meant to do. For some reason or another, I've gone down completely different paths, but ultimately this is what I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember. It's hard to explain, it's more of a gut feeling, but I truly think this is the perfect industry for someone like myself. I always think with a strategic and tactical mindset, no matter what I'm doing, I'm always analysing my surroundings and doing risk assessments, I've always got the safety of those I'm with in my mind. I have the feeling that I need to protect someone and ensure their safety, it's hard to explain, but I'm 100% convinced that I'd be very competent at it.

I've been in the music production industry and run my own production company, focusing on music for advertising, television and film. Completely the opposite type of work that a CPO does, I know. My production company now functions almost autonomously, having hired composers and sound engineers to handle the bulk of the work, so I feel like now is the time to get into close protection and just thinking about working in this field makes me more enthusiastic than I've been in the last 10 years.

Obviously not having served in the military is a drawback, I realise that my lack of foreign deployments in hostile environments precludes me from being able to take on the better-paid foreign jobs. But that doesn't put me off at all. From what I hear, there's a lot of work here in London, so I'd be more than happy to take local jobs. I don't expect, given my lack of experience, to have the best jobs available, but I'll honestly be happy with whatever work I can get. Being a CPO, whatever the job may be, would be reward in itself.

Thanks for replying.

I feel that the security industry, specifically close protection, is what I was meant to do. For some reason or another, I've gone down completely different paths, but ultimately this is what I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember. It's hard to explain, it's more of a gut feeling, but I truly think this is the perfect industry for someone like myself. I always think with a strategic and tactical mindset, no matter what I'm doing, I'm always analysing my surroundings and doing risk assessments, I've always got the safety of those I'm with in my mind. I have the feeling that I need to protect someone and ensure their safety, it's hard to explain, but I'm 100% convinced that I'd be very competent at it.

I've been in the music production industry and run my own production company, focusing on music for advertising, television and film. Completely the opposite type of work that a CPO does, I know. My production company now functions almost autonomously, having hired composers and sound engineers to handle the bulk of the work, so I feel like now is the time to get into close protection and just thinking about working in this field makes me more enthusiastic than I've been in the last 10 years.

Obviously not having served in the military is a drawback, I realise that my lack of foreign deployments in hostile environments precludes me from being able to take on the better-paid foreign jobs. But that doesn't put me off at all. From what I hear, there's a lot of work here in London, so I'd be more than happy to take local jobs. I don't expect, given my lack of experience, to have the best jobs available, but I'll honestly be happy with whatever work I can get. Being a CPO, whatever the job may be, would be reward in itself.

Well at least you sound pasionate and motivated, these days you can throw a rock in any direction and hit 100 CPO's with some great backgrounds who are not pasionate or motivated.

Just move forward with what you want to do, there is always a team out there that wants the fresh knowledge so they can train them how they want their operations done, and I am certain the energy will help as well.

Thanks for the advice LJH1.

If contacts are the solution, then I'm very well equipped. I know and work with people in all areas, including close protection operatives that I met through clients of mine.

In general, are prospects for employment really that bad? I'd imagine that in a city like London it must be heaving with people who require a security detail, maybe I'm just naive. My belief was that most CPOs are ultimately aiming to get better-paid jobs in hostile environments, meaning that there's less competition for the UK-based jobs. Again, it's hard to research these kinds of things without actually speaking to people in the field so I'm just speculating.

I'll do the CPO course within the next few months anyway, the money isn't an issue because it's something I've wanted to do for a long time, even if I may subsequently spend a long time just trying to build contacts and get experience in other security roles, as you mentioned. As I mentioned above, I have a steady income regardless of CPO work, which is very helpful and affords me the possibility to risk.

Thanks again for your advice, I've taken it on board.

Gio,

I would echo what others have said above, start in security on events or on the doors first before spending the wedge on a CP course.

I am from a very similar background to yourself (former sound engineer), I have been in the security sector 10 years now, the experience and knowledge I gained by working the doors and festivals in my early career has been not just important but essential to being a competant CPO.

A very apt saying for your particular situation: You have to learn to walk before you can run.

Regards,
Stoney

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Close Protection World mobile app

Well at least you sound pasionate and motivated, these days you can throw a rock in any direction and hit 100 CPO's with some great backgrounds who are not pasionate or motivated.

Just move forward with what you want to do, there is always a team out there that wants the fresh knowledge so they can train them how they want their operations done, and I am certain the energy will help as well.

Thank you, it's very encouraging to hear that. That's exactly the vision I have for the progression of my CPO career. I'd love for a security company to see my genuine passion and enthusiasm and transform it into practically applicable skills. Again, it's hard to explain, but I feel I could be a very good operative.

Having spent the last decade working in areas where the worst that can happen is you get an irritating phone call from an unsatisfied client...I need a lot more in my life. I need the stakes to be high, I need a large amount of responsibility placed on my shoulders. Most people aspire to the opposite, whereas I feel that a huge amount of responsibility and trust placed in me is exactly what I've needed all my life.

Gio,

I would echo what others have said above, start in security on events or on the doors first before spending the wedge on a CP course.

I am from a very similar background to yourself (former sound engineer), I have been in the security sector 10 years now, the experience and knowledge I gained by working the doors and festivals in my early career has been not just important but essential to being a competant CPO.

A very apt saying for your particular situation: You have to learn to walk before you can run.

Regards,
Stoney

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Close Protection World mobile app

What a coincidence! And what a relief that I'm not an incredibly rare case, haha.

You're right. I'll do my CPO course, but I'll also start working events, even just volunteering. I've set myself a deadline of November as to when I'll make my transition to this new field. I have a few loose ends to tie up beforehand, but I will definitely be applying for all types of event security jobs as soon as I have my CPO license.

Thanks again for all the advice guys, this kind of information is priceless to me and I'm extremely grateful that you took the time to answer my noob questions.

Like the great war monger once said Education, Education, Education... I say Foundation, Foundation, Foundation...

CD

Like the great war monger once said Education, Education, Education... I say Foundation, Foundation, Foundation...

CD

Wise words, which I will most definitely follow. Thank you.

Thanks again to everyone. I hope to be a fully fledged member of your community soon.

Well done on an excellent first post, and not getting torn to pieces for writing it!
It's amazing what a little bit of honesty, good spelling and grammar does for people's confidence!

I fell In to the security game a number of years ago, and through a great network and hard graft have accomplished a hell of a lot.

It's not all about being ex this or that 'ninja underwater knife fighting on the balcony back in Nam', it's predominantly about you, and the confidence you can instil in your team, your client, and yourself.

My advice is get your DS badge and do some festival work from now until you decide to do your CP course.

You'll meet some good lads and lassies on the festival circuit who will put you straight on a few of the facts.
Don't be cocky, listen, learn, and ask questions.

When you decide to do your CP course, choose wisely. There's hundred of threads here about who's best etc. About 4 or 5 will come to the forefront in your research, there's a reason for that!!

Watch the forum, you'll see fairly quickly who you need to be listening to, there's some great experienced heads on here, and some complete twats, sort the wheat from the chaff and you'll never be short of good, solid advice.

Use your network, but use it wisely!

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

Thanks for the kind words and extremely good advice, TMAC.

Just checked prices and times for a DS course in London and it's totally doable. I had no idea the course was so short and well-priced, otherwise I'd have done it straight away.

So that's the plan then: get the DS course under my belt and start working some events. By September/November (possibly even slightly later now that I've added DS into the equation), when I intend to do the CP course, I'll hopefully have worked a fair bit, taken the first steps towards building a good network and picked up some good tips along the way.

Thanks again. I knew signing up to this forum would be helpful, but this is so much more than I could have hoped for.

I would say dont bother cp course was the biggest waste of money ive ever spent. Just stick with ds and if cp required later do it but without contacts or experience in security I suspect you will be throwing your money down the drain.

I disagree Danny.
This guy has built a successful business in his own right and this is a career change for him.
Whatever chance he has of getting contracts is to have done some work, a decent CP course and a foot in the door.
He can't get a foot in the door without the license.
I know a huge amount of guys who have done it this way and are highly successful in the business.
Civilian operators tend to bring a different set of skills to a team, which can be very useful in the EP and corporate markets.
There's a huge amount of luck and being in the right place at the right time, but someone with their head screwed on can make it happen.

I disagree Danny.
This guy has built a successful business in his own right and this is a career change for him.
Whatever chance he has of getting contracts is to have done some work, a decent CP course and a foot in the door.
He can't get a foot in the door without the license.
I know a huge amount of guys who have done it this way and are highly successful in the business.
Civilian operators tend to bring a different set of skills to a team, which can be very useful in the EP and corporate markets.
There's a huge amount of luck and being in the right place at the right time, but someone with their head screwed on can make it happen.

Plus this person already has some music industry contacts. I knew some Mexicans in San Antonio that where Tejano producers that stepped into this the same way, then after Selena got shot at the beach every last Tejano and Texmex singer was doing everything they could for some CP. They blew up fast and are still running very strong.

Well good luck to the op hope he finds the work for his new found career. But the cp industry isnt as great once all is said and done to be fair hope he finds work and makes a go of it. Iam looking to get out of this game anyway so my advice probably is not the best anyway

Hello all, I'm a 32 year-old British male living in London who, within the next few months, will hopefully have completed a CPO level 3 course.

Up until this point, I've had nothing to do with the military, law enforcement or close protection fields. I've always been very active with regards to sports and fitness, extreme sports and the like, but I completely lack any actual security background. This would be a fresh start for me in an industry that interests me greatly and that I believe, given the chance, I could thrive in.

I'm not a physically intimidating person, at 5'11" 70kg, approx 10% bodyfat, but I can definitely hold my own. I'm very physically fit and I spent most of my youth practising several martial arts...then real life got in the way and I strayed off until now. I'd like to get into something like Krav Maga or Systema, so I'll hopefully be adding that to my CV very soon.

As someone who desperately wants to get into a field that is so experience-dependent, I need to know beforehand if I'm essentially just wasting my time. I don't mind the first few years being low-paid jobs, but I really need to know if I stand any chance at all of getting my foot in the door. Any opinions and/or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

edit:

It may or may not be useful to add that, to this day, I've never so much as had a parking ticket, so my criminal record is nonexistent.

Cancel your course, go to the pub instead.
Or sit a CKP course and go into the police.

Good morning/afternoon everyone, thank you for continuing to contribute to this topic.

As much as I appreciate the suggestions for alternatives to CPO, I feel that they wouldn't be in line with my objectives. I will get the DS badge just to gain some experience in the security field and make some contacts, but I'm not considering DS as a long-term option, my goal is to be a CPO. As for going into the Police, as much as I admire every single Police Officer on the force, it's just not for me.

I realise this industry is tough, but I feel I have the determination to make it happen. If I fail, at least I'll know I did everything in my power to make it happen. I can't settle for anything less than that, I'm very stubborn when it comes to accomplishing my goals.

As for the CPO course in itself, you need to understand that I'm not simply doing it to get a badge that then allows me to get jobs, I actually want to have the skills and knowledge, like someone who does a photography, cooking or language course (haha); so as far as I'm concerned, the sooner I do it the better. But before that, as TMAC and others have suggested, I'll get my DS badge and start gaining some hands-on experience working events, that's definitely the first step I need to take.

In any case, I'll be sure to keep you all updated with any progress (or lack thereof) and hopefully very soon I'll be able to deliver some good news.

Thanks again to everyone.

As others have said, you're one of the few newcomers who actually look like you might make it.

While you do the DS and event work etc, get the following three books and do some reading.
Whatever CP course you pick (and come back for some help with that one), and no matter how good it is, they can't cover everything.
The below are a great read, give you a huge amount of insight and will provide great reference material for the future, plus you can 'learn a bit' ahead of doing the course.

Richard Aitch's "CP Book" - you'll have to google it, can't link it
Close Protection: The Softer Skills: Amazon.co.uk: Geoffrey Padgham, Bill Mevin: Books

Surveillance Detection is another vital skill for CP and often overlooked or at least skirted-around on courses.
The below is another great read and having a general overview of how someone conducts surveillance will help you spot someone planning an attack - Peter also runs some great courses too.
Surveillance Manual - ISS Training Ltd

Good luck

Last edited:
Back