Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Obtaining an extendable baton in the UK

TorpidRyan

Full Registered User
So I have undergone my training with the baton for the police force already, however I shall not be attesting for another 5 or so months. And so, no doubt, my skills with said baton will not be fantastic. In fact, my skills aren't right now, because the training we received was obviously brief for the sake of saving money.

So, as I take personal safety when on the beat as very important and I think it would be quite enjoyable to train using such a weapon (I do mixed martial arts; I find queer things rather enjoyable) I was planning on buying a baton to keep solely at home (and thereby, its possession is legal) for training purposes.

My problem of course is that the distribution of these items is illegal in the UK since they are offensive weapons. Would anybody happen to know a way to get around this?

So I have undergone my training with the baton for the police force already, however I shall not be attesting for another 5 or so months. And so, no doubt, my skills with said baton will not be fantastic. In fact, my skills aren't right now, because the training we received was obviously brief for the sake of saving money.

So, as I take personal safety when on the beat as very important and I think it would be quite enjoyable to train using such a weapon (I do mixed martial arts; I find queer things rather enjoyable) I was planning on buying a baton to keep solely at home (and thereby, its possession is legal) for training purposes.

My problem of course is that the distribution of these items is illegal in the UK since they are offensive weapons. Would anybody happen to know a way to get around this?
It is no unlawful to buy or sell extendable batons, nor is it unlawful to own or use one for training. It is however unlawful to have one in a public place.

If you have undergone OST training already you will undergo more prior to being deployed. You need a min of 12 hrs annually anyway.

I would suggest this is a bad idea tho

Azarias

Longterm Registered User
TorpidRyan said:
You believed it was illegal, but you should be exempt! Are you sure you want to be an officer who enforces legislation?

Do we have anything to worry about if you ever think about firearms training!!

Should we look forward to this post?

"Does anyone know where I get get a HKMP5SF; I know it's illegal but I might have a chance on the firearms team."

To answer your question. You do not need to break the law apart from the snap to extend the baton you are basically using a stick.

MrBlonde

Longterm Registered User
Hmm, me thinks you're not a cop, rather someone who wants to get their hands on a baton. You're going through Police training and you feel it ok to ask on an open forum how to get around the law?

Like most offensive weapons, you can possess in your home, but you can't buy one. This applies to friction-lock batons, certain types of knife etc

https://www.niton999.co.uk sell ASPs but you need an official Police PO and it needs delivering to a station. If you are genuine and can convince those higher up at the station why you should be allowed one then in theory you can get one, but to be fair I doubt it's ever going to happen and they'll just think you're some sort of nutter Tackleberry that they don't want on the force anyway.

As Azarias says, buy a stick and go to Kali/Escrima/Arnis lessons if you want to learn some cool stuff, but be aware that if you're involved in an incident on duty, use 'techniques' that have not been officially taught to you, that the lawyer of the person you 'subdued' argues are an excessive use of force (which is why the Police don't teach them you) then you'll be off the force with a criminal record before you know it.

Last edited:
Hmm, me thinks you're not a cop, rather someone who wants to get their hands on a baton. You're going through Police training and you feel it ok to ask on an open forum how to get around the law?

Like most offensive weapons, you can possess in your home, but you can't buy one. This applies to friction-lock batons, certain types of knife etc

https://www.niton999.co.uk sell ASPs but you need an official Police PO and it needs delivering to a station. If you are genuine and can convince those higher up at the station why you should be allowed one then in theory you can get one, but to be fair I doubt it's ever going to happen and they'll just think you're some sort of nutter Tackleberry that they don't want on the force anyway.

As Azarias says, buy a stick and go to Kali/Escrima/Arnis lessons if you want to learn some cool stuff, but be aware that if you're involved in an incident on duty, use 'techniques' that have not been officially taught to you, that the lawyer of the person you 'subdued' argues are an excessive use of force (which is why the Police don't teach them you) then you'll be off the force with a criminal record before you know it.
I have never known a Police Force train recruits in OST/PST prior to signing a contract, it would be a waste of time and money.

SCT

Jesus, another fcuking walter. Let's be honest you are trying to find a way to buy something illegally. Why don't you do what all the other walters do and go to France, buy one and take your chances with HM Customs. That way you'll either get caught with it on the way in - job done, or you'll get it through and then later on do something stupid and get caught and hopefully done for the importation as well. Good luck in your career as a professional fantasist, there are so many of you on here you should have your own forum.

Appropriate choice of user name:

torpid
ˈtɔːpɪd/
adjective
adjective: torpid

mentally or physically inactive

Last edited:

Spud5879

Stand Easy Young Fella.Ex Army,RMP and Civvy Cop.(Now 70 years old).Still active CP Trainer. I can tell you Sir. There are no ways to get round this. You are not allowed to carry any such items in the UK. Unless you have Lawful authority or a reasonable excuse. You will be found to have on your possession an Offensive weapon.(See definition of O/W). Result, Arrest ,Court Conviction and last but no t least Loss of your SIA career. Yours Spud 5879

Stand Easy Young Fella.Ex Army,RMP and Civvy Cop.(Now 70 years old).Still active CP Trainer. I can tell you Sir. There are no ways to get round this. You are not allowed to carry any such items in the UK. Unless you have Lawful authority or a reasonable excuse. You will be found to have on your possession an Offensive weapon.(See definition of O/W). Result, Arrest ,Court Conviction and last but no t least Loss of your SIA career. Yours Spud 5879
This only applies to public places tho

Top Bottom