Old and new Oppo's

Steve

Billy Bowker here looking at doing security consultant course with Anubis and getting into the industry looking to Thailand or se asia. Off to RMR Scotland where CO is Ronin owner Mckinley im there as new Sgt Major mid Jan so if you need out let me know. Would be interested in any contacts you have in the near future as ive just passed for NZ Army next yr as Staff Sgt but undecided keeping all my options open. Cheers Billy

Bill, ya tart! saw your post and thought I would touch base Mate! It's been a long time and it's great to hear your still fighting the good fight!
Drop me a PM and we can catch up.
Jonah (fmr PW3,2,1 C/Sgt, complete with Growler!)
Aye.

Hi Lads

I completed my CP course with CR group in October last year, and received my SIA licence in December. I left the Corps in 1988, and just fancied a career change

The most difficult part when you are new to any business as you know is getting that first step, so i am now in the process of networking with old oppos and other ex Royals and CVing.

Any leads lads/ prospects, or if anyone wants advice on the CR CP course please contact me.

Cheers & Take it Steady

Severn Lad

Advice needed

Hi all bootnecks, serving or former (I am now the latter after 25 years). Joined up with 186 Tp (May 1984) and left in Nov 2009. A bit of a culture shock!! Now wanting to break into the Security Industry. I have my CP licence and need advice on the industry. Best companies to work for, who to avoid (if any), etc, etc. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello chaps,

Well, this feels nice and comfortable here, don't you think?

Joined 523 Troop in 1986, passed out, went up to 45 Cdo for a couple of years, then down to HQ & Sigs for a couple more years, before going back up to 45 again and then over to Commacchio (I've never been able to spell that!). Found myself getting a bit threaders with watching 40 Cdo swan off to exotic locations all the time, whilst I froze my balls off in Norway or Scotland, so decided to take a break from the corps for a while to get some of my own beach time in the bag. Left the marines after six years, in 1992, fully expecting to come back again, and went off to wander around Australia and South East Asia for a while – growing my hair down to my nipples in the process.

Came back to the UK in 1995 and ended up on a philosophy degree (and not back in the Corps, as originally planned - don't ask). Finished that in 2000 and duly went down to the careers office to join up again. The colour stripey behind the desk did an excellent job in talking me out of it, and so I went off to get involved in the adventure travel industry instead, leading groups of tourists on all sorts of tours and expeditions all over the world. Meanwhile a mate of mine had joined the RMR, and suggested I do the same – so I did. Almost immediately I found myself compulsorily mobilised and on my way out to invade Iraq with 40 Cdo (they'd stopped going to exotic locations by this time). I wouldn't have minded, but after 10 years out of the Corps I could hardly remember which end the round came out of the weapon!

Anyway, after that I became mega keen, and started nipping in and out of the Corps on contracts on a fairly regular basis, including a year back in 40 Recce Troop for a deployment to Afghanistan in 2007 – 08.

More recently I did an LCs course through the rubbers and got myself a draft down to Poole on the Raiding Instructional Team for six months. So if you're an ex Bootneck who wants to keep his hand in, I reckon you can do a lot worse than joining the Rubber Daggers chaps.

For the last five years, when I haven't been back in the corps, I've been alternating between the security and telecoms rigging industries (working at heights, rigging antennas), and sometimes I manage to combine both jobs when working abroad.

I want to leave the rigging behind now, and move deeper into the security industry (maritime and otherwise, in hostile environments), but do I really need to fork out four grand for a course to get work? Could do with some advice on that specific point.

All the best everyone,

Gaz.

Alright Guys
Joined the Corps in May 97 and left in June 05, was in the pit 1 week after I left with Aegis, went straight into a team with 6 other Bootnecks, had a top time time and left after 14 month....that were the problems started, 27 year old at the time with shit loads of cash, I though it would last me forever, anyway after a few Thailand/Malaysia.vegas, trips and tens of thousands thrown into property (never trust people in suits) I soon enede up skint, so after 2 years bumming about I returned to the pit with Sabre, again had a good time with a good group of lads, contract came to an end so I have now set up a tree surgery business back home in Manchester, always checking this and other similar sites though to see if there is anything out there, you do miss the crack with the lads ........an money!!

Stay safe

Stand at ease (Royal)

Think a few of use has crossed paths at sometime or another, good to sea bootneck's looking after each other.......
Just a quick one!!...Can any one recommend me a good PSD course. Done Iraq in 2004 as a PSD team member, but now i have to do a PSD course to get back.. to Iraq OR Ganner's
Cheers Lads...StaySafe.. and keep ya chin up!!

Hi treyseven

I think as far as doing a cp course to get back out too Iraq of Afghanistan, it seems as if these companies are now asking for them as a matter of course.

Recently, alot of people are leaving the forces and completing a cp course then working in the pit, so these companies now have almost every employer with an Sia badge or a course behind them.

There seem to be quite a few good courses out there, but if you have experience both in and out of the forces in this area, then i probably would not fork out all the extra costs just to get your hands on a weapon or on learning to roll over the bonnet of a car whilst simultaenously firing off to pistols to the sound of the "A-Team". Your Corps experience should be a good starter for your CV, whilst your Sia badge enforces your commitment to the industry and shows you have been trained to a standard acrross the board.

Keano out

I think we would all like to say "Good Points" Keano83, but the other criteria that you have to take into consideration with this, is the prospective Employers Insurance Liability requirements and what he needs to meet for adequate coverage of his liability for his Client's requirements!

Just being a Fmr RM "Good Egg" and having an SIA License is not enough to enable the Employer to confirm that all his employees are qualified, professionally trained and legally entitled to operate as a CPO or a member of a PSD. In order to meet both Insurance and Client requirements, he needs to ensure all personnel have completed a certified or approved CP/PSD course.

Whether the individual needs the skills refresher or not, the Employer does not care about this! He has to ensure a recognised and accountable company has stated the individual has received and passed the training criteria and he is accountable for his actions.

The SIA lisence should be enough with previous military training, but it is not and it will be a long time before that course or course criteria is reviewed, changed and working as the course it should be, as opposed to the current course that it is!!!

Aye,
CorsairHunter

Hey any of you fella's going to the CPW day at the VSC April 9th?
if so give us a shout and we can talk shop over a few wets.

Alright fellas my name is hutch i have just left the corps after 8 years done 4 years at 45 then FPG, Cdo logs after that CTC Done my juniors in 08 and have just done the Ronin hostile environment course and am looking to get my teeth in to some work earning some serious money would really appreciate the help of you guys on here i have joined the reserves in Cambridge and am going on selection for S.A.S reserves Cambridge next January providing i have the time i am really looking to do maritime security can anyone point me in the right direction i will try and return the favour be good to meet some new and old boot necks .

hello to all ,sven here,joined 89 574 troop ,i knew it was time to leave when my sec cpl from training became my rsm at 45...spent many yrs 40cdo ,first rsm black jock,a coy,then stitched up when on compassionate so to lympstone fts as called then ,got to op haven with 40 (THE YANKS FED 2 LOTS OF REFUGEES THAT TIME THE KURDS AND US ,any one who remembers tv show mash that was yank camp in silopi lost property on that camp had more weapons than poole armory,then b coy w.belfast 93
and half way through med trip dream gd draft 6 months h.kong which i got due not getting charged for 4 months (early90s to get charged usually meant attempted murder ,joke,you know what i mean ,then c coy 97 8 month deploy on lsl sir galachad
then ships daft to then un finished hms ocean but on first trip slight disagreement with virgin islands police chief so draft ended to kosova attached to slimlines camp and landed job with a csm running patrols from swe aqnd norbatt then afghan iraq then afghan all 45 as rl left 2006 to do the old start family save marriage ,now single no children,if anyone still awake i would be grateful of any cp-security work anywhere but this shell of a country called britain -many punctuation mistakes due to keyboard skills of a hangcuffed camel

sven69,
Did you enjoy your 4 months in Hong Kong? I hope you did as that was meant to be my draught, until i got nicked on RnR in Magaluf whilst we were on med trip 'Destin Glory'. I was well gutted having lost that...Fond memories on that trip.....having the rest of my shoreleave banned in magaluf...watching lads being dragged back from ashore by the spainnish police...the ship being delayed cos lads were still pissed up on the island....Jim kelly and myself ended up doing 28 days in colchester once we returned to england.....Happy Days ha ha

Protectasia,
Jim is going back to 40 when they return from afghan as Alpha Coy csm, hes currently at the factory taking snco command courses through.

Hi Royal (Ex)

I joined the Corps in 90 in 600Tp, also joined A Coy (3 Tp), 40 Cdo in 91. Was 40 Provo for a year then moved to Stonehouse for 9 month before going on detachment to 45Cdo for 21/2 yrs. I left the Corps back in 99 after been threaders with the boss for refusing to put me on Juniors (Wanker). I survived civvy st (just) for a couple of years before rejoining Army (MPGS) in the security field. Now a SNCO for last three yrs but like to keep my options open and always been interested in the CP world. Unfortunately lost an old oppo (Rob Napier) through the circuit working for Aegis in Iraq but know others who are still happy with the life. I'm unsure if there is an age limit as I'm now 40 but still beasting myself as much as I can.

Regards Stevie B

Hi Royals (Ex)

I joined the Corps in 90 in 600Tp, also joined A Coy (3 Tp), 40 Cdo in 91. Was 40 Provo for a year then moved to Stonehouse for 9 month before going on detachment to 45Cdo for 21/2 yrs. I left the Corps back in 99 after been threaders with the boss for refusing to put me on Juniors (Wanker). I survived civvy st (just) for a couple of years before rejoining Army (MPGS) in the security field. Now a SNCO for last three yrs but like to keep my options open and always been interested in the CP world. Unfortunately lost an old oppo (Rob Napier) through the circuit working for Aegis in Iraq but know others who are still happy with the life. I'm unsure if there is an age limit as I'm now 40 but still beasting myself as much as I can.

regards Stevie B

Joined 568tp 89, 40/3BAS/40, sunshine boy. Left 97 because of the woman and nothing happening. Should of stayed in a little longer as things quickly warmed up. Never mind hind sight is a wonderful thing.

Been working for the queen for the past 13yrs but even this is turning b*ll*x so seriously looking for other opportunities.

Winger you never got to honkers because you decided you would rather thailand, just a pitty you and jim got caught and did 28 days - funny night though on that french frigate.

Sven how are you mate, thought I saw you in Cardiff a few years ago walking past but by the time I clocked you you'd already gone, so much for my surveilance skills.

Gentlemen stay safe where ever you are in the world.

Hello fellas,

Joined with 592, knackered my knee and passed out with 595. Hung arounf CTC for a bit waiting for an S3's (Not my idea I wanted to be a speedboat driver!). S3's was cancelled for Op Haven went out with 40Cdo Bravo 5 Troop.

Got back did the S3's went to Norway with Logs, joined 4 ASRM on Fearless did my time in the comms room then spent the best bit on FJ as the sigs\pancake maker.

Went to HQ & Sigs did some time in D Troop.

Left in 96 did a course in IT, did a bit of work in the City then have spent the last 10ish years travelling the world working for a govt organisation.

Hello to any who remember me.

Rich K

Back