Olympic security failure

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
Man 'screamed abuse at Usain Bolt' - Yahoo! News UK
A man screamed abuse at Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt before hurling a bottle at the start line of the men's Olympic 100m final, a court has heard.

Ashley Gill-Webb, 34, pushed his way to the front of an exclusive seating area without a ticket and shouted things like: "Usain you are bad, you are an a*******," the court was told.

He then threw the beer bottle as the race - which Bolt went on to win in 9.63 seconds -started at the Olympic Stadium on August 5, the court heard.

Gill-Webb, from South Milford, near Leeds, was confronted by Dutch judoka Edith Bosch, and then restrained by Locog volunteers and arrested by police, the court was told.

Gill-Webb denies using threatening words or behaviour with intent to cause harassment, alarm or distress, as well as an alternative charge of using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour or disorderly behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.

Opening the case at Stratford Magistrates' Court in east London, prosecutor Neil King told the court the Games had reached a highlight with the men's 100m final.

He said: "In the stadium, along with the many thousands who should have been there legitimately and were watching the race in hushed anticipation, was also Mr Gill-Webb who it is now accepted was unwell at the time."

"He had somehow, without a ticket ever being found on him, made his way into very exclusive seats indeed... Whilst there he hurled abuse towards the athletes in the final, particularly towards the eventual winner Usain Bolt," he added.

He said Gill-Webb threw a bottle in the hushed stadium just as the race was about to get under way: "He threw a green Heineken bottle in a lobbing motion that was captured on CCTV.

"This bottle landed extremely close to the athletes and it's probably luck rather than Mr Gill-Webb's judgment that it did not do anything far more serious."

Looking at some still photos on the internet it shows the man being restrained by the "purple people" ie. LOCOG people rather than security staff.
Was there no security inside the stadiums? Surely there should have been some security near the front of stands. It also looks like he may have got into the stand without ticket (its possible he threw it away once inside).

Security weren't allowed in most places inside the venues (not to say that they would of responded any better) but they where more used for perimeter Gaurding and entrance duties. The "purple people" wer volunteers who where responsible for the inside for the most part.

LW, I thought you would bring this up.

"Man shouts abuse and throws plastic bottle onto track". Not much of a story really is it? Now if it had not been a bottle from one of the sponsors then I am sure one of those missiles in Bow would have been dispatched to take him out.:)

As Echo1two says there was little security inside the stadiums, as dictated by LOCOG, and was the responsibility of a company called EVS. All ticketing and BOH entry during events time were controlled by LOCOG.

Clarify Rhea, are you saying that there was professional security and it was run by EVS but LOCOG's policy meant that there wasn't enough or in the right place. Was it the LOCOG volunteers checking tickets/ passes or LOCOG paid staff?

Clarify Rhea, are you saying that there was professional security and it was run by EVS but LOCOG's policy meant that there wasn't enough or in the right place. Was it the LOCOG volunteers checking tickets/ passes or LOCOG paid staff?
I thought you would know all this going on your previous posts on the Olympics:)

You will have to ask Seb Coe about his and LOCOG policies. Whether it was enough or in the right place I suppose you should look at actually what happened in this incident.

Inside stadium security during events time was run by EVS. From what I saw I would probably not use the term professional.

Ticket checks were done by both paid and volunteer LOCOG staff.

As someone whoes been in stadiums from the steward all the way up to supervisor, i think it goes without saying that there should always be persons located around the FOP. Whoever thought up of this policy that little/no security inside should have their head shot.

At twickenham, a rugby stadium...rugby....nothing ever happens at a rugby match, we still have bods around the entire perimeter and response teams in corners.

I thought you would know all this going on your previous posts on the Olympics:)

You will have to ask Seb Coe about his and LOCOG policies. Whether it was enough or in the right place I suppose you should look at actually what happened in this incident.

Inside stadium security during events time was run by EVS. From what I saw I would probably not use the term professional.

Ticket checks were done by both paid and volunteer LOCOG staff.
I used the term "professional" in the sense of being paid, as opposed to volunteers.

To be honest the only thing I find shocking about this isn't the security, isn't the fact he didn't have a ticket (that's the way it appears any way) and it isn't the actual activity. It's that he has actually been charged for this!

If it wasn't the Olympics and the rest of the world wasn't watching nothing would have been done. On the doors every night of the week people experience much more than this that would amount to those charges but how many people do you ever see arrested for it, let alone being charged and appearing in court!

Exile

To be honest the only thing I find shocking about this isn't the security, isn't the fact he didn't have a ticket (that's the way it appears any way) and it isn't the actual activity. It's that he has actually been charged for this!

If it wasn't the Olympics and the rest of the world wasn't watching nothing would have been done. On the doors every night of the week people experience much more than this that would amount to those charges but how many people do you ever see arrested for it, let alone being charged and appearing in court!

Exile

I think there have been other cases where people have been prosecuted for throwing something onto the pitch at football matches, even in the lower leagues.

Good afternoon people

I worked at the Olympics for two years I was being paid to advise I would have meetings two or three times a week the heads would sit there take in everything that should be happening and then do nothing about it. If the public new about this nobody would of gone to the Olympics a bottle being thrown is the least of the things that went on at that place that you need to worry about

I think there have been other cases where people have been prosecuted for throwing something onto the pitch at football matches, even in the lower leagues.

True, but the thing that annoys me is that its the part of the charges talking about threatening words or behaviour. People who deserve to be charged with this very rarely do! It's just down to public pressure when there is hundreds or thousands of people watching.

The media are making it look like this is a massive incident (ok the part where he has breeched Olympic security is not good and should be highlighted) but in truth it is nothing! I had someone throw a bottle at me on CCTV as part of what was actually a big incident, police said did it hit you... The answer was no, they said well its not in the public interest to peruse it. And the language used before hand was slightly more colourful than what this guy has reportedly said!

This isn't me having a go because I had the same and got different results. It's more of a point of why is it different here compared to every night that is not covered by live TV. I'm not defending him at all and I would like to make that clear, behaviour like this should not be tolerated, and that is my point. Why is it normally accepted and now when normal respectful people (as a pose to the drunks out and about in the middle of the night) can see it its not accepted. Maybe if the police got their approach better, people would realise this is not accepted behaviour and will not be tolerated. It's a bit like saying to little kids that its ok to swear at home but not in public, their minds will not comprehend why it should be different.

Maybe it's the cynical doorman part of me coming out that sees people in the day time as all nice family people all being polite, then the same people as drunk hooligans at night thinking they can do what they like because they have been drinking, so everything is ok haha

Exile

a bottle being thrown is the least of the things that went on at that place that you need to worry about

I was there for lil over a year and a half and some of the things that I witnessed and heard happened, if I believe in he threat in the same way as a lot of people did, I would have not recommended that any1 show up.

Having worked at football for over 10 years that is standard practice now along with running onto the pitch.

As for the Olympic security, I was working at the O2 (North Greenwich Arena) and some of the "purple people" were in fact from local security companies wearing the purple volunteers shirts to blend in

Back