Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

a5955

Longterm Registered User
I have been working as a PPO in the United Nations for three years now and have recently completed my contract. I am looking to move back into the private sector. I have experience working with celebs as well mainly popstars on tours etc.

my email is alexgibbons@yahoo.com

Covert Munkey

Administrator
Hello A5955!

Welcome to the forum!

PPO with UN.....Sounds good buddy,

How was life as a PPO within the UN, its something im pretty keen to look into? Wages/travel/leave etc.

a5955

Longterm Registered User
UN

its not all its cracked up to be, hence i am not doing it anymore. Money is ok depending on whether you are based out of one of the HQ's or in the field service, leave 25 days a year.

BUT basically its a big mafia, you will be working with alot of people who have no training and experience but because of the part of the world they come from they get the job no questions.

Good example I had a CP officer who had every quali under the sun, the big bosses said we had to hire him because of this. He was the worst CP officer I have ever seen, really had no clue and this is what u get to work with.

back to the Mafia bit, as a westerner you will be 98% of the time the only one. so all the third world guys get together and make mistakes on purpose hoping u will get fired so they can get ur job.

IF you want the insider tricks for applying let me know and I will start a new thread and post them.

Covert Munkey

Administrator
Thats a shame but now that you mention it it sounds highly likely that this sort of stuff could go on.

I appreciate what you have said but im sure a couple of the other lad/ladettes in the forum would appreciate a new thread with any top tips.

After all the forum is all about networking and helping and this would be very helpful.

Cheers

CM

Pepe

Full Registered User
its not all its cracked up to be, hence i am not doing it anymore. Money is ok depending on whether you are based out of one of the HQ's or in the field service, leave 25 days a year.

BUT basically its a big mafia, you will be working with alot of people who have no training and experience but because of the part of the world they come from they get the job no questions.

Good example I had a CP officer who had every quali under the sun, the big bosses said we had to hire him because of this. He was the worst CP officer I have ever seen, really had no clue and this is what u get to work with.

back to the Mafia bit, as a westerner you will be 98% of the time the only one. so all the third world guys get together and make mistakes on purpose hoping u will get fired so they can get ur job.

IF you want the insider tricks for applying let me know and I will start a new thread and post them.
Hello mate,

thanks for the insite. I have just applied for the UN gig and would appriciate a leg up. If you want to start a post or e-mail me I would appriciate it

Thanks

Bill (Pepe)
bill_walker@hotmail.com

R

Rosie

It is a shame but is very true for a large portion of assignmets, especially within DPKO (Department of Peacekeeping Operations). Brit lads (especially in security) are not overly popular because they put the rest of the others to shame. I have worked in various field missions and HQ locations and never not come across some highly decorated underwater knifefighting walt who was undervalued. Flip side is that you can get some decent roles and experience, CP (UN internal training) though absolutely mickey mouse is at diplomatic level which brings a string to the bow that is hard to get if not RMP CP with FCO expereince or MetPol Special Protection. It is not only CP, there is more to it from field assesment to audit to Inf Sec and investigations, in fact the UNDSS (Dep of Security & Safety) is on a steady climb in terms of accountibility and professionalism since, surpise surprise, it was taken over by a certain former UK police commander.

Bill - I am stil in the system at a manaerial level in security - feel free to PM if you have any direct questions. If you can easily accept being more competant and qualified than the guy you work for and have a good instimct for identifying who you can rely on then it is not too bad an option if you can get in the door at a decent level.

Top Bottom