Oxegen festival anyone?

irish
i worked there last year as well.
good points and bad.

tell you crew not to take valuables as there was an incident or two with stuff been taken from security tents.
food arrangements was a bit up the left as well,u will get feed but when and the quality of the food is another issue.
get your crew in early to get reg. in morning as this is a bit of a cluster f*%k as u could appreciate trying to get sorted out first thing in morn.
bring extra food for yourself and crew as the food on site is expensive and depending on where u r working

but personality as well irish. u boys up the north are lacking it.

if u have stab vests bring them as well better looking at it than for it.

apart ffrom that u will b ok

have a good one

murf

Thanks for the reply Murf

Stab vest I have and wear it at any festival I work. I can understand your comment on personality all my boys are 100% and all know how to have a bit of craic if they had attitude problems then they would not be working with me as it effects me in the long run. Where is the staff campsite?

Last edited:
Thanks Malhter

I came across that picture last week I added it to my hand out for staff but I am not sure if they keep it the same every year. Don't know if anyone has ever worked Electric Picnic but it's huge compared to Oxegen it seems

Thanks Malhter

I came across that picture last week I added it to my hand out for staff but I am not sure if they keep it the same every year. Don't know if anyone has ever worked Electric Picnic but it's huge compared to Oxegen it seems
No worries, not much help to you but you know what they say 'better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all'. Interesting reading on some of the posts and comments on other forums about security staff being attacked around toilet areas and that type of stuff. No harm to mention it in your briefing to your staff. I hope it goes well for you and your staff.

Last edited:
Flying objects from a crowd is always an issue or the dreaded Knife in a crowd but stay vigilant, your safety and the safety of your team comes first
You are spot on. I don't want to seem alarmist but came across this from 2008 on google. Worth a read.

Three Oxegen Security Guards Attacked, Raped By Festival Goers : Gubuwire

I also rang a guy who is working there this year and has worked there in the past. He wasn't a whole pile of help to be honest but he did say that you should know beforehand what area you have been assigned to. If you are working inside he said you enter via the Punchestown gates if that makes any sense. Also said everything is pretty well signposted and there is a separate parking area for security staff or staff in general.

I hope you read that report before you posted it Malhter it had me in tears laughing

Three security guards hired by festival organiser MCD have started legal proceedings against the firm after they claimed they were “viciously sexually assaulted” by drunken female festival goers, it has emerged.
Paul Taffe (28), Jason Hyland (32) and Mark O’Brien (23) have all claimed that while working as security guards for the Oxegen festival, they were forced to engage in sexual acts against their will by three separate groups of intoxicated women.
Taffe, from Jobstown in Tallaght, claims he was dragged into a tent by eight women on the Friday night, stripped naked and slapped severely about the buttocks, penis and testicles. He then had a beer bottle forced into his anus.
Taffe claims the women were clearly intoxicated with drink and drugs and believes he should have been given some form of protection against the attack: “…a taser or a gun or something, y’know? I had nothing to defend myself with. When I told my supervisor he laughed in my face. My life is over.”
Hyland from Ballyfermot, South Dublin, had a similar experience. He told Gardai how he was in the dance tent on Sunday, working at crowd control. He had noticed that some girls had began to crowd surf.
“I seen a group of about fifteen girls, they all seemed to know each other, and they started moshing and surfing. That’s not allowed so I reach up to pull the girl down, the next thing I know one of the girls pulled me trousers down, when I tried to pull them up again my arms were grabbed and someone stuck their fingers up me arse!
“Then they started pulling at me flute, I mean really yanking at it! Then I got a punch in the balls, I fell on the ground and I got kicked by the whole gang, this went on for about ten minutes. I’m in a really bad way, me mickey and balls are swollen an’ all they are.”
O’Brien, from Offaly, was patrolling the toilet areas late on Saturday night when several girls approached him from behind: “I heard them wolf whistling, but I didn’t think it was directed at me cos most people say I’ve a head like a boiled spud – or else they must have been really pissed!
“I was then bundled to the ground, I fell on my face and at least three girls sat on my back, I couldn’t move at all! My jeans were torn off me and I felt what I can only describe as a tent pole, shoved up my arse. It went up a good four inches, all the while they were laughing at me, it was really humiliating. When they got up, I was kicked in the face. I was found by a nice bunch of lads from Darndale, they pulled the pole out of my arse and brought me to the first aid tent.”
MCD have encouraged all three to tell the Gardai everything they can remember and admit they “probably could have done more” to prevent such attacks on staff. They conceded that the incidents were indeed “a real bummer“.
Oxegen last attracted controversy two years ago after the spate of tent burnings and violence in the camp sites. In the immediate fall out, MCD came out and gave an honest appraisal of what went wrong, fully informing the media of the details of what occurred and humbly requesting the public’s “advice on how to successfully run any future festivals”.
However, it seems out-of-control young women have hijacked the event to an even greater degree this time round. A spokesperson for MCD said:
“We are disappointed that we have not successfully purged our festival of the scourge of ‘hoor-igans’. We can only hold up our hands and apologise for our failure in this matter. Our plans for Oxegen ’09 have been suspended due to the risk to festival goers and staff. Of course their welfare is our primary concern here. Loss of revenue always comes second to that.”

Last edited:
I hope you read that report before you posted it Malhter it had me in tears laughing

Three security guards hired by festival organiser MCD have started legal proceedings against the firm after they claimed they were “viciously sexually assaulted” by drunken female festival goers, it has emerged.
Paul Taffe (28), Jason Hyland (32) and Mark O’Brien (23) have all claimed that while working as security guards for the Oxegen festival, they were forced to engage in sexual acts against their will by three separate groups of intoxicated women.
Taffe, from Jobstown in Tallaght, claims he was dragged into a tent by eight women on the Friday night, stripped naked and slapped severely about the buttocks, penis and testicles. He then had a beer bottle forced into his anus.
Taffe claims the women were clearly intoxicated with drink and drugs and believes he should have been given some form of protection against the attack: “…a taser or a gun or something, y’know? I had nothing to defend myself with. When I told my supervisor he laughed in my face. My life is over.”
Hyland from Ballyfermot, South Dublin, had a similar experience. He told Gardai how he was in the dance tent on Sunday, working at crowd control. He had noticed that some girls had began to crowd surf.
“I seen a group of about fifteen girls, they all seemed to know each other, and they started moshing and surfing. That’s not allowed so I reach up to pull the girl down, the next thing I know one of the girls pulled me trousers down, when I tried to pull them up again my arms were grabbed and someone stuck their fingers up me arse!
“Then they started pulling at me flute, I mean really yanking at it! Then I got a punch in the balls, I fell on the ground and I got kicked by the whole gang, this went on for about ten minutes. I’m in a really bad way, me mickey and balls are swollen an’ all they are.”
O’Brien, from Offaly, was patrolling the toilet areas late on Saturday night when several girls approached him from behind: “I heard them wolf whistling, but I didn’t think it was directed at me cos most people say I’ve a head like a boiled spud – or else they must have been really pissed!
“I was then bundled to the ground, I fell on my face and at least three girls sat on my back, I couldn’t move at all! My jeans were torn off me and I felt what I can only describe as a tent pole, shoved up my arse. It went up a good four inches, all the while they were laughing at me, it was really humiliating. When they got up, I was kicked in the face. I was found by a nice bunch of lads from Darndale, they pulled the pole out of my arse and brought me to the first aid tent.”
MCD have encouraged all three to tell the Gardai everything they can remember and admit they “probably could have done more” to prevent such attacks on staff. They conceded that the incidents were indeed “a real bummer“.
Oxegen last attracted controversy two years ago after the spate of tent burnings and violence in the camp sites. In the immediate fall out, MCD came out and gave an honest appraisal of what went wrong, fully informing the media of the details of what occurred and humbly requesting the public’s “advice on how to successfully run any future festivals”.
However, it seems out-of-control young women have hijacked the event to an even greater degree this time round. A spokesperson for MCD said:
“We are disappointed that we have not successfully purged our festival of the scourge of ‘hoor-igans’. We can only hold up our hands and apologise for our failure in this matter. Our plans for Oxegen ’09 have been suspended due to the risk to festival goers and staff. Of course their welfare is our primary concern here. Loss of revenue always comes second to that.”
To be honest with you I only read the first few lines and then the guy I rang in relation to the festival returned my call and was filling me in on the wee bits of info he had. So I just posted the link. Just got back online and read your post. Tears tripped me. Probably one of the funniest articles I have come across in a long time. Deffo pass it on to your team and give them a laugh. Tell them a muppet sent it to you. Should be posted in a few places and give the forum members a good laugh. It would nearly encourage you to go to the festival.

Just saw your most recent post on the homepage for 3 bods and looked up this thread via your profile.

Good advice from Murf and useful info from MW who I just noticed has been banned, 1452 posts since May 2011, that's dedication, I wonder is that a record.

Re: set-up, give me a buzz for more info.

If you still need gig covered, I can point several people your way.

Last edited:
Didn't realise MW was banned?

Is your people you can point from Northern Ireland the reason I ask is that we are leaving from here and I would like to meet the said person/s before hand

Back