Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Parliament Watchdog Says Security Groups Should Recruit Middle Aged Mums

The parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee has said that MI5, MI6, GCHQ, and other security groups should diversify their recruitment by taking on more women, specifically middle-aged Mums, in a bid to try and provide a more rounded view of security threats. They said that the current system is one that is filled with traditional male mentality and only those that shout the loudest and are looking to advance their careers tend to be the ones that have their voices heard.

A similar report in the US also gave similar findings, and the author of the UK report said that diversity should be sought because it will offer greater security by employing a broader range of people with different backgrounds that would be able to identify a wider range of threats. Committee member Hazel Blears said that the current crop of security professionals means that most members look at potential threats in the same way, and only by diversifying personnel can security forces really hope to identify more threats.

Not only did the report suggest that diversification was important, not only because of a legal and moral responsibility to employ a more diverse range of people but because of its benefits. The report went on to say that the security groups should use different mediums to attract professionals, including those that specifically target mums, such as Mumsnet.

The report included research on the existing role of women in the security groups, and said that 37% of the groups were made up of women but only 19% of senior positions were held by women. The report suggested that changes needed to be made if more women were to be attracted to the positions, and this included offering flexible working hours and childcare. The first step according to the report, however, was tackling the male dominated mentality within the groups.

MI5 has come under pressure in recent months after it emerged that a number of blunders and errors led to the terrorist titled Jihadi John being allowed to leave the country and flee to Syria. It has emerged that the MI5 and police came into contact with Mohammed Emwazi at least a dozen times, including an initial encounter when security services believed that he was attempting to join a Somali terrorist group six years ago.

Emwazi managed to sidestep MI5 and police, and leave the country to join the Syrian cause. He has now become one of the world’s most wanted men, having been radicalised in the UK, after he executed at least five western hostages. He was on a terrorist watch list when he managed to escape the country and flee security forces, and it has been reported that security teams in the UK had attempted to recruit him before he made his move.

With all eyes firmly on MI5 and other terrorist groups, the government is looking for ways in which it can hope to restore some of the faith that people have lost, and this includes identifying a greater range of terror threats.

GI0VANNI

Longterm Registered User
With all eyes firmly on MI5 and other terrorist groups, the government is looking for ways in which it can hope to restore some of the faith that people have lost, and this includes identifying a greater range of terror threats.
Well done, at least someone will think about the Childs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

Is this for real?
sure??
not dope???
what about unmarried mums, lesbian-vegan-muslim-whoman and so??

PADDYOS

Longterm Registered User
Maybe they would have a crèche in the under ground part of 5 to start training them at a young age as well as the mums working there

TNFRule

Full Registered User
Rather than buying information from criminals that have already been caught, employing people straight from university with nothing but a degree in harry potter and/or foreign nationals with "connections" they go for middle aged mums who can work 16 hours a week, who's idea of a security risk is the chicken dippers running out in Iceland. This country's absolutely crockered - we'll be ringing for police support from the ANA next.

TNFRule

Full Registered User
Prime example: Three north-London... Miscreants have been caught trying to get in to Syria for Turkey, extradited to the UK and then released on Bail?!!

Look, I'm no secret squirrel watchdog crime stopper ninja black shades guru of anti terrorism, but Jesus Christ if you can go and join Al-Kebab for a few months and come back scot-free it's not really going to influence the youth to not go in the first place is it? Looking back when I was 15/16 I'd have gone for a shufty in the desert as well, and I'm not even religious!

And we all know how much those women want to take those burkhas off, giggedy.

TNF

K9medic

Longterm Registered User
Don't know, it might work. As I remember I couldn't get anything past my Mum

RocketDodger

Longterm Registered User
I can't believe I missed this! This was trialed by certain 'Agencies' (read the ones mentioned in the OPs Post) in the Mid 90s and was a mahoosive failure. The main problem - driving at speed in built up areas.

Politicians - ignoring experience gained the hard way every time.

Top Bottom