Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Percentage of Rent - Self-Employed Allowable Expenses

jayme

Hi All,
Hopefully my question will make sense and is not stupid.

How many percent of the my Rent I pay can I put down as expenses when doing tax return. Obviously I use my room as my "office" sometimes and I know that I can put a certain % down from the total I pay for rent. Now What is the percentage? 10%? Maybe 20% or more?

Many thanks for your answers in advance!

biggimpy

Full Registered User
Hi All,
Hopefully my question will make sense and is not stupid.

How many percent of the my Rent I pay can I put down as expenses when doing tax return. Obviously I use my room as my "office" sometimes and I know that I can put a certain % down from the total I pay for rent. Now What is the percentage? 10%? Maybe 20% or more?

Many thanks for your answers in advance!
Depends on whether your room is a OP or a FOB ? https://youtu.be/2Vo6YG9U_o8

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
You could only really claim rent as expenses on tax if you need the room specifically as an office. If it's you bedroom or living room that you also use as an office, I don't see how you can justify it. You can possibly claim electricity if you were using additional electricity, or cost of internet connection if that was a big part of your work but you'd have to be using it pretty much solely for work.

Top Bottom