PHTLS vs TCCC

ubique8556

Full Registered User
Gents/Ladies
I've been reading various bits and bobs on TPs websites and on the NAEMT website and I'm still none the wiser on if there is any
diffrwnce qualification wise between PHTLS and TCCC,ie if you conduct the TCCC you'd be Certified PHTLS plus the "tactical" bits.If I've got that wrong are they two different courses in their own right with different certification for each?.
Cheers
Ubique

They are two different courses, according to NAEMT, and would have to take them separately. However, if you were a PHTLS Instructor and took the TCCC class, you would automatically become certified as an instructor for that class as well.

Thanks Paramortis
Just seems a shame they are separate courses as TCCC is delivered "under the auspices" of PHTLS so it shame the "tactical" side isn't an extra.
Thanks
ubique

Yeah, well, there have been a few things that NAEMT has done in the past few years that have lowered my opinion of them; this is just one of them.

Hello mate, I have completed TCCC but not PHTLS as a stand alone. The certificate says combined provider but I still don't actually know what this means. You receive the PHTLS manual but its the military edition so has extra chapters at the back for the TCCC principles. I know many who have completed PHTLS and as a UK Paramedic I can see the course content for TCCC does not cover civvy Pre hospital care enough to warrant even suggesting that you can be PHTLS trained, i.e. no immobilisation or extrication techniques are covered.

That said I found it a very worthwhile course and enjoyed the lectures and skill stations. What are you looking to gain from it and where are you being employed? Its all about (as you are doing) doing the research. There are better trauma care courses out there (ATACC).

Thanks Kernow
I'm hoping to either go down the private tech route then one year on tech to para at uni or a year on an a access course followed by 2/3 years of uni on the paramedic science course with the aim of later on getting a tier 2 medic/DTL role in the sand.
Cheers
Ubique

Hello All, I would just like to clarify some of the comments above as I get asked loads of questions about TCCC. I am registered TCCC instructor and did my courses in New York, so hopefully you will take this information as solid and accurate. TCCC and PHTLS are different courses but run by the same organization to compliment each other. Although the TCCC can be done in stand alone it should be taken at the very least after basic first or PHTLS etc. Reason being is that it is only 16 hour guided learning with an optional 8 hours for scenario training, i.e. two day or three day course. It does not teach CPR techniques and in fact explains why to avoid CPR on the battlefield. This said, I would have to say that the theory and skills behind the TCCC are probably the best fit I have ever come across for PSD operators, providing the kit is made available to conduct the relevant skills.

To become a TCCC instructor is a little more tricky than listed above, Firstly you have to be certified in some level of medical or EMT instructor followed by completing PHTLS provider and PHTLS Instructor. Once you have done this you must then attend a TCCC course as provider/participant then complete the 8 hour instructor course. Once you have done this you then have to have your first course overseen by TCCC instructor Trainer, usually a fully time served paramedic. These courses are not usually run back to back so it can take a little time.

Now guys just to plug a bit on the TCCC and I am not advertising my own courses here but really just want to say my thoughts. It truly is (in there words) the bespoke level of responder care in a hostile situation. These skills are purely for combat injuries and will not help at all for your patient with high blood pressure and having headaches. It involves doing what needs to be done or your patient dies anyway and so teaches surgical airways and needle decompression etc and a heck a of lot of theory and practice with a tourniquet. If you find a good provider that has all the toys needed to run the course successfully then I recommend you do this course if you are working in the sand pit. I did 7 years in Iraq and know for certain people died that would have lived if the team members had the skills taught in the TCCC program.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Back