Police Officer Recruitment

As Mally stated, anyone interested should check and keep checking local forces websites. As with everything nowadays, lots of forces are cutting back, so some forces have recruitment on hold at the min. I would think the bigger forces, met etc have a bigger turnover though..... Good luck to anyone applying, keep checking the sites !

Certain forces are now recruiting from the ranks of PCSOs and Specials.
I know of at least two forces who are now giving preference to folk who have done at least two years as either.
It can take nearly two years to get through the application process now. My advice to any wannabe plod would be to join the Specials to set you apart from the countless hundreds applying from civvy street.
Bear in mind........when I applied back in 2004 there were over 3000 applicants for 30 posts.
Something to think about.

Cheshire have announced they're recruiting for specials throughout this year, next awareness seminar is 7th May, they have got 4scheduled through the year if I remember correctly

Certain forces are now recruiting from the ranks of PCSOs and Specials.
I know of at least two forces who are now giving preference to folk who have done at least two years as either.
It can take nearly two years to get through the application process now. My advice to any wannabe plod would be to join the Specials to set you apart from the countless hundreds applying from civvy street.
Bear in mind........when I applied back in 2004 there were over 3000 applicants for 30 posts.
Something to think about.

It has long been the case that they recruit from among the Specials, its always been a 'back door' entry method, and now they are doing the same with PCSO's (although to be honest their starting pay is almost the same now, but they have less responsibility and can legally walk away from trouble, so why become a copper?), however;

1. It gives the cops a chance to have a good long look at you, instead of the 'snap shot' glimpse that they get when you turn up for recruitment.
and;
2. It gives future recruits a chance to pick up some knowledge of police culture and learn the jargon that helps in the recruiting process, terms like 'Community Policing', 'Policing by consent', 'Issues of diversity', 'Positive discrimination', 'I am gay/black/muslim/ Asian/ 4' 10" tall' or 'I will have no hesitation in putting in a 'Grievance' against any colleague who upsets me, especially if it means I can get promoted or a cushy job, or else I will report sick with stress until I am returned unfit and pensioned off or I will sue the police for damages' etc etc, and all the other jargon they will need to progress in their career. (sorry, perhaps a bit of cynicism creeping in there)

It has long been the case that they recruit from among the Specials, its always been a 'back door' entry method, and now they are doing the same with PCSO's (although to be honest their starting pay is almost the same now, but they have less responsibility and can legally walk away from trouble, so why become a copper?), however;

1. It gives the cops a chance to have a good long look at you, instead of the 'snap shot' glimpse that they get when you turn up for recruitment.
and;
2. It gives future recruits a chance to pick up some knowledge of police culture and learn the jargon that helps in the recruiting process, terms like 'Community Policing', 'Policing by consent', 'Issues of diversity', 'Positive discrimination', 'I am gay/black/muslim/ Asian/ 4' 10" tall' or 'I will have no hesitation in putting in a 'Grievance' against any colleague who upsets me, especially if it means I can get promoted or a cushy job, or else I will report sick with stress until I am returned unfit and pensioned off or I will sue the police for damages' etc etc, and all the other jargon they will need to progress in their career. (sorry, perhaps a bit of cynicism creeping in there)

Not cynicism my friend but a pretty good snapshot of the trials a PC must face in todays modern force.
I believe the reasoning behind the hiring from the ranks of specials is a cost saver. In a special you already have a PC who is maybe 65% of the way trained. Why spend taxpayers money on a new recruit, have them spend 17 weeks in a class room and then a further 6 months in a tutored phase before them being independent when you can have someone who has given up 2 years of weekends and spare time to learn the job off their own backs ready to step into the breech with a little further training.
I have always had respect for the good specials in a force. They show commitment, focus and a willingness to serve for no pay.
I think it should be a requirement before joining the job that you have served as a special.
I will reserve my views on PCSOs however as I would ruffle a few feathers.
CHIMPS

Respect to anyone who gives up their time to be a special, and yes they are looked upon favourably by the selection process, but they will still do the same amount of training as someone who's never had anything to do with the poice. Granted, they will be at an advantage with some stuff.....

It's a pity with the red tape policy in today's world where you can't work in private security and be a special as the 2 roles clash to a certain degree. Arguments for both sides obviously.

I was a PC in the south-west for a few years and do miss a bit of the job. Pity I can't be a special.

If the money wasn't so crap, I'd go back in, at least it has job security and looking past the complete and utter bullshit red tape that sometimes hits you in the face, I enjoyed my short time in there.

As mentioned previously, a lot of moaners in the Force today, with the acceptable culture of "claiming and moaning", it has seemed to have spread all over.

My inspector hated me, even more so when I was banging his daughter.

I had a good laugh at that so thanks. I noticed you missed out 'Law Input' but they probably don't bother with that sort of rubbish nowadays.

North Wales Police are accepting new applications from Monday the 27th January to Tuesday the 11th February 2014.

Right let me run down there then Haas ha.been spat at ,verbally abused,and trying to fight crime with my hands bound and gagged was always my dream :):):)

Civil Nuclear Constabulary (CNC) are recruiting for new PC's at Dounreay, Sizewell, Hunterston, Dungeness, Hinkley Point, Torness and Sellafield. Starting at £23,025 rising to £25,700 after training.
Civil Nuclear Constabulary

Ministry of Defence Police (MDP) are also recruiting for new PC's for naval bases in Clyde, Scotland and some limited recruitment for AWE Aldermaston. Starting £17,599 rising to £21,254 after two years probation.
Ministry of Defence Police Recruitment

Last edited:
theres not much difference to the pay as modplod advertise it with the clawback/pension taken off whereas the cnc don't

Back