printing a map on fabric

Arnaud

Longterm Registered User
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to print a map on fabric ? I need a good E&E kit.

I'm not playing SAS, just working in a very unstable environment at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Have you tried a Printers? There's loads that print photos onto canvas so it's probably no great leap for them to do a map onto silk.

Best of luck with it and stay safe.

Heno

You can buy pre-treated fabrics for inkjet printing (like this Color Plus fabrics) or you can treat the fabric yourself using this Bubble Jet Set 2000. Here you can find more info and suggestions on places to buy: Gloria Hansen ~ quilt, digital and mixed media artist

If you are already deployed and need to go the MacGyver way, there are some homemade methods for treating the fabrics prior printing, like this one The Quilt Rat: Print on fabric with this homemade solution, but not sure how they work, Google may help.

However, if your inkjet printer uses waterproof and fade resistant inks, such as Epson Durabrite Ink, the fabric doesn't need to be treated for printing How to Print on Fabric With an Inkjet Printer: Make Your Own Inkjet Fabric Sheets or Buy Them

Hope it helps. Stay safe.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to print a map on fabric ? I need a good E&E kit.

I'm not playing SAS, just working in a very unstable environment at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Mate are you down for the last chopper out of Afghan or something.

Whatever it is stay safe

arnaud ... I know this is an old thread.
but what I do before I go overseas - i make myself memorize a basic map of the country.
nothing fancy - just the general shape (outline) of the country, locations of a few major towns & cities, major landmarks (mountains, rivers, coast), and a few of the principle highways. i also think through a few basic escape routes or exit points - where are the borders, which ones would be easier to cross. etc.

it's a bit of work to do this ... but worthwhile.
that way your E&E kit is in your head.

good luck,
KL

you need to pop to somewhere like staples or go to staples on line site.

buy the T Shirt transfer kits for around £20.00

you can get some for dark clothing and some for light clothing

then simply use a normal printer to do it and iron onto your fabric.

Gotta agree with the above, cheap and cheerful, I put the London Underground on a pair of boxers for a course gag. Withstands several washes before the detail fails.

I know nothing about cloth maps, but surely cheap fabric will stretch and distort?
Silk can be folded/rolled into a smaller shape that most cheap fabrics.

Anyway, must get back to pleating the curtains.

Back