Problem with an Insurance Company regardin a non-existing claim

cezzz

Full Registered User
Hello all! I have a problem with my car insurance company RAC. I will try to be short. One morning after work i returned to my car who was parked near town center and found my mirror smashed. I called the Police to make a complain and left. Next day called the insurance company to FIND OUT how much will cost to fix the mirror on the fully comp insurance. They redirect me to AVIVA because they are underwritten by them. Gave to the operator all details and at the end to find out will cost me £370 plus 1 year NCB. I said no thanks i don't want to claim and bought a mirror from ebay for £26.
A few weeks ago I login in my self-center account to change my car and just to find out under my name that i've made a claim for an accident on 05/may!! and i can't do any changes. I've called them many times and asked to remove that claim as i DIDN't claim anything and they said no because it's a non fault claim and is there for there own records.. I even called AVIVA and they said they have nothing to do anymore with RAC. I've made a formal complain on rac website and no answer and in 20 days my insurance will expire.
Any advice on what can i do to make them take that claim i never made out of my account?

Many thanks, Cezar

Last edited:
They'll log it as a potential claim, because, just, maybe, Mr. A.N.Other may be lodging a counter claim that your vehicle damaged his.....

I loath insurance companies. A necessary evil...

In the meantime, keep plugging away...shouldn't be an issue until renewal, by which time you can point out that there's no counterclaim. Unfortunately, it's recent, and I've no idea how long they'll keep it in the pending file.

V :(

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick reply. There wasn't an accident, the car was parked on the footway with the mirror pointing towards a wall. There was a person who smashed it not a car. I told them that..

Even so. They'll assume there WAS another vehicle, until the possibility has died a natural death.

Beat your insurers up hard. They're supposed to be protecting YOUR interests, not just covering their arses in the event of a future claim against you.

V

the motor insurers bureau website is asking to fill a claim which is the last thing i want to do? it seems there is no other way to contact them. no tel number or email address. i will double check maybe i haven't seen them.

Thanks, C

Hi again. Just rang that number and spoke with someone and they said is nothing they can do to help me with... The lady said to make an complain to the insurer (which I've already did with no answer) or to ring citizen advice ( which I've already did and they can't help me in this matter).. I am stuck again. I've rang the insurer today and the operator said it might affect my no claim bonus..
It appears that i need to wait for the answer to my complain and then to take matters further if unsatisfied with the answer.

This insurance companies have far too many rights and freedoms and it appears that there is nobody that can argue with them. They do what they want..

Hi Cezzz

I can prepare a letter for you to send to the Insurance company.

I do not need your personal details as you can add these to the letter.

Please just send me a quick email to info@cpandmarsec.co.uk and I will deal with it today.

Kind regards

JHD

Hi Cezzz

I did not hear from you yesterday.

I will post my draft letter on the site.

Regards

JHD
PS We will contact Sally (I have already prepared the letter) if they do not meet the deadline

4th July 2014

Name of person
Their position in the company
company name (insurance company not broker)
company address
company address
company address

Dear

Policy Number xxxxx for xxxxxxxx (add vehicle, model and reg number)

I would like to draw your attention to the following key points, which I trust will provide you with an insight into the circumstances that brings me to write to you: -

• On the xxxx (add date) I notified you (or the agent) of an ‘incident’ that took place (add any reference number)
• I enquired how much this would cost me if I decided to pursue the claims route, which was quoted as being £370 plus the loss of 1 years’ NCB
• I did not go ahead with any claim and made my own arrangements to have the small amount of work fixed
• When I logged in to my account, I was shocked to find that I had apparently made a ‘claim’ for an accident on the 5th May 2014
• My understanding is that this so called ‘claim’ could go against me when applying for insurance, resulting in increased premiums
• Despite various attempts I have not been able to get this resolved.

I have carried out research on the internet and found an interesting article, which highlights that this is not a one-off incident.

The article I found was written by Sally Hamilton from the Financial Mail on Sunday and here is a link:-

Honest drivers hit by insurance penalties | This is Money

As you can see, The Mail on Sunday contacted the insurance companies on these separate cases and the pressure they asserted resulted in the insurers taking a different viewpoint, which led to compensation being paid and bad publicity.

Here is how I propose that this matter is concluded:-

1. The information that has been inputted within your system, which I assume was also uploaded to the Claims and Underwriting Exchange (CUE) central database, is removed within 7 days
2. You confirm, in writing, that the request in the above point has been completed

Upon receiving your letter, I will make a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act of 1998, which will be sent to the IS & Compliance Officer at Insurance Database Services Limited (IDSL). This is a safeguard to ensure that the information has been removed; such is my lack of confidence in your company.

If matters are not dealt with satisfactory within 7 days, then I will be contacting Sally Hamilton from the Financial Mail on Sunday.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely

Your Name

Last edited:
I hate car insurers. they leech off honest drivers who are forced, by legislation, to purchase car insurance that is artificially loaded to ridiculous levels. compare motor insurance to household contents insurance and see the difference when you are not obliged to have it, the costs are tidy in comparison. if the government insist on drivers having a basic level of insurance, that level should be set by parliament, if you want to pay more to get better benifits then that is your choice but the bog-standard, minimum requirement should be legislated, then drivers can use their votes to voice their opinions. however, i seem to remember an article from an insurance company breaking down the "average premium", to show how much actually goes to the government "coffers" so maybe this wouldn't make a difference, just another backdoor tax.

rant over, good letter by the way, JHD. will be filed away for future reference

Hi again. I've been called by the Police and informed that the case has been closed because there is no CCTV coverage and clasified as Criminal damage. I told the officer about the problem with the insurer and she said is not ok!
I will send the letter to both RAC and AVIVA following the model from JHD (which is brilliant btw) and also treat them i will report them to ICO as they broke 6 principals from DPA 98:
personal data should be processed fairly and lawfully;
only obtained for one or more specified purposes and only used for those purpose(s);
should be adequate, relevant and not excessive;
data must be accurate and kept up to date;
not kept for longer than is necessary for the purpose;
processed in accordance with the data subject’s rights under the act;
I am still waiting for my renewal letter. They don't seem in a hurry when they need to actually give you something that is your right..
Many thanks for your help, will let you know what's the outcome.
Regards, C
LATER EDIT: Sorry for not answering JHD, I have been away. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hi Cezzz

It is good to hear from you :) I was starting to wonder what had happened.

At this stage, I would suggest you focus on getting this letter off to the insurance company. I would save your complaints to the ICO for another day (believe me this is long-winded). Write to the insurance company first and base your next move on the contents of their response letter.

I am sure you are aware that there is a process to follow for the Subject Access Request (if you need help let me know as I have a template letter on one of my computers and know the process). A Subject Access Request only costs £10 and at least you can see exactly what is held on the main database used by all of the major insurance companies.

Keep in touch.

JHD

Last edited:
Yes I am aware. I will let the Subject access request for other time. I am printing the letter to send it tomorrow.
All the best, C

Hello again. I had received a letter from them saying they will answer before 6 August as they wait for others departements response.
I've phone them to decline my auto-renewal and what a horible experience I've got. Took me 45 min to actually speake with an operator and when I told what i want to do she started asking me a lot of questions like she was from the UKBA. Anyway eventually she said she declined my auto-renewal and when I asked her about my complain she said she can't give me any details and that a letter will arrive shortly. Eventually I've got a letter who just let me know they don't have an answer and that they will send me another answer until 6 of August because they wait for other departments to answer. I started to fell a bit of disgrace for this people seems like there only purpose is to rip you off.

Hi Cezzz

It is best not to speak to them regarding your complaint......wait until you receive their second letter (at least you got an acknowledgment of your first letter, which is pretty rare).

We have a couple of options, including writing to one of the Directors at his home address (this works a treat) but hold fire until the second letter.

What I would advise is contacting another insurance company and ask for a quote........enquire whether they have a note on their screen and play it dumb :)

Bye for now,

JHD

Hi Cezzz

I noted in my diary that the deadline is up tomorrow and I was wondering whether you have heard back from the insurance company.

Regards

JHD

Last edited:
Hello all. I want to appologies for replying so late but I have been extremly busy. Basically they send me a letter telling me they will not change anything and everything will stay as it is. I will try to attach the letter I received when I get home from office.
Regards, C

Back