Ptz camera advice

Sloper

Full Registered User
I have a Hikvision DVR, with 3 HD cameras connected with RG59 cables. I have a fourth camera, a shitty old one, mounted under the eaves of my house, also connected with RG59. I want to replace this one with a PTZ camera, but am clueless about the pros and cons of different types.
Is the best option to use an IP camera and connect with ethernet cable? And does the ethernet cable provide power somehow? Are there other advantages to IP cameras, such as remote control via an app?

Sloper,

Get a hikvision PTZ and 24v psu send commands via RG59 you won't need to run any cables.

Regards

premier

Sloper,

Get a hikvision PTZ and 24v psu send commands via RG59 you won't need to run any cables.

Regards

premier

I'm using a large 12v supply at the moment. Is 24v necessary? I'm not looking to spend more than 200 quid or so. Running a cable isn't a problem at all..
I've been looking at some cheaper IP PTZ cameras and and thought I could connect one to my switch with ethernet cable? And if so, does the ethernet cable carry the power and commands?

Thanks Premier!

24v is only needed to power the hikvision PTZ if you followed that route.
If you have found a cheap ip PTZ then fit that and run your cable.

The Ethernet cable will carry power if you have POE unit and the camera you have chosen is compatible.

I'm sure V will be along soon with additional advice, he is a bit of a legend with CCTV.

Regards

premier

The Ethernet cable will carry power if you have POE unit and the camera you have chosen is compatible.

I'm sure V will be along soon with additional advice, he is a bit of a legend with CCTV.

Regards

premier

You're all good so far mate.

V :)

Regards

premier

I've been considering the Floureon BT54 and think I've figured things out now. Thanks :)

Hi. Hik HD are tvi cameras using the floureon IP you will have problems even tho it's ONVIF .... The IP camera needs to connect to your router of switch and you call it up from your network.
Hikvision does a PTZ 2mp tvi which will be a direct swap for the camera you want to change as everything is done with your existing coax ( no more cables to run.) and there only around £90

Hi. Hik HD are tvi cameras using the floureon IP you will have problems even tho it's ONVIF .... The IP camera needs to connect to your router of switch and you call it up from your network.
Hikvision does a PTZ 2mp tvi which will be a direct swap for the camera you want to change as everything is done with your existing coax ( no more cables to run.) and there only around £90

Yeah think I'm resigned to sticking to Hikvision cameras :/
I want a powerful zoom and the only one I can find that's suitable is around 300 quid. Gonna have to do some thinking.
Thanks Tom.

Hang on.. I'm confused (as usual)
At the moment I have siamese cable (RG59 with BNC connector) running to the camera.. One for video and one for power. Can I use this to control a PTZ camera? How does that work?

Hang on.. I'm confused (as usual)
At the moment I have siamese cable (RG59 with BNC connector) running to the camera.. One for video and one for power. Can I use this to control a PTZ camera? How does that work?

With some DVR / Camera combinations, you can. But if you end up with an IP Camera, power, telemetry and picture all go over the same cable. Don't worry about it, it's all electricery / witchcraft.

With some DVR / Camera combinations, you can. But if you end up with an IP Camera, power, telemetry and picture all go over the same cable. Don't worry about it, it's all electricery / witchcraft.

If I get an IP camera, I think I can power it independently of the cat5 cable though, yes? Otherwise I think I'd have to buy an injector or a switch that provides power?
Sorry about the novice questions. Only about another 100 to go ;)
Thanks Jim.

Sloper,

It sounds like you have an existing RG59 shotgun cable, coax and 12v so your options without running cables are
1: hikvision PTZ use the power cable attached to 24 v and send the commands via coax
2: any PTZ use the existing power cable to carry data a&b and fit the 24v psu local to the camera head and run a short power cable
3: fit an IP camera and use POE, making sure the camera is compatible most likely need to use pelco p protocol, run a cat 5 or 6 cable

On a personal note I'd avoid the floureon bt54, I think they are crap

Regards

premier

Last edited:
Hi sloper....... TVI AHD CVI .... All do PTZ control up coax along with image. You can even run 8 cameras down one coax.
What distance are you looking to see with your PTZ ?

Which hikvision dvr do you have .....and how many channels

Hi. Jim . Problem with the link is the camera is a rebranded dahua 2mp cvi not compatable with hik tvi.
Hik hybrid will run TVI AHD 960h standard analog.

Things that you should consider before installing an Ip camera
- How large the area you need to cover
-Image clarity
-Lighting conditions

Back