Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pushed my button so much...

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
Thought I would share my evening with you. Well not my evening, more like the 15 mins after we started chucking everyone out.

I am on the inner door, holding it open saying goodbye to people and the DJ walks up to me, keeps poking me saying "youre a f*cking shift doorman, souldnt be doing the f*cking job" After been asked why he responded "you threw people out for been drunk..!" According to his extensive knowledge of the UK legal system, in London (note, only in london no where else) you are not breaking the law been intoxicated on a licensed premises/in a club. However we all know this to be false and that been drunk is technically illegal. He continues to argue that I am security, I am there to secure people to stay all night and not get rid of them.

This continues for around 5 mins, where I am taking it and trying to get my 5p in, but the DJ never shuts up. Sadly I eventually lost it and told him that "ill bite his f*cking nose off". Not really the best and most proffesional thing, but at 4:45 in the morning....I just want bed!

Anyway, just thought id share my hatred and rant for the week. Point of rant is, people who work in venues like to believe they know everything about everyone elses jobs. But realistically you get some fresh faced kid mixed with a bit of booze, he thinks he knows everything.

Ill be honest,
I hate people
Why do I do this job....

Oddjob

You're beginning to sound like a power crazed door man.
I'm with the DJ on this.
If you're throwing them out for being too drunk, and for him to notice, well you must have thrown out a few either that night or over a few weeks.
which sort of indicates someones not doing their job somewhere along the line.
either you at the door or the bar staff for not slowing things up, and you again for not monitoring the bar and the customers on going situation.
That's the role of the 'watcher' so you know whats going on minute to minute in your own club.
just because your known as a door supervisor, doesn't mean that's all the job entails, standing on the door.
Supervising the whole scene and cooling situations down before they reach the point of no return is probably as important, if not vitally the key to a good club.
Little Peter Allen was the best 'watcher' I ever worked with, he could read people and situations better than Columbo.
Our task is to control, not wait till we have to chuck people out.
That process puts in motion a chain reaction, making people uneasy, nervous, feeling unsafe and often aggressive in response to what they see as unfair treatment (not seeing the full picture).
So ye, I'm with the DJ, you're a 'SHIFT' doorman, you come in do your shift and go home.
analyse your tale, and work out how you could have done it better.
The DJ is not inexperienced, he goes to many clubs and parties,
and sees dozens of DS, be the 'SHIFT' ones or 'OMG your so nice' ones.
His analysis was wrong as regards why you are shift, but something tells him you are doing it wrong.
How can I do this better is the question you ask after every incident.
If you don't, well the DJ said it best I guess.

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
that is one way to look at it OJ, but truth is, hardly any were ejected, could understand if it was a good number, but sadly it wasn't. He only noticed because one of his mates mates was ejected for falling asleep on top of the cash machine...

Oddjob

So you want to go head to head with a DJ.
Thats a DJ that has a following, brings in a crowd, is valued because of his ability to raise the reputation of the club, and generate a handsome profit for the owner.
where as you on the other hand are an expense, demanded by the licensing authorities.
I hope you have a good relationship with the big boss, as in many cases when the cards are laid on the table you'll find yourself holding deuces and eights to the DJs hand full of royals and colour.
On the sleeping note : I thought we had a death one night in a 4000 capacity rave club (5000+)
Found a guy on one of our many sweeps asleep against a 1,000,000watt base unit.
Couldn't wake him for love nor money. The wicked witch medic was called, and she stuck a pen up his cuticles.
Which did the trick, he was up, awake and standing to attention, a bit of fresh air and orange juice later, he was good to pop all night.
You still need to question and analyse every incident and complaint, there is always something you could have done differently or better. No criticism, just a bit of 'mentoring' hahaha.
(mentoring : CPWs new buzz word)

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
Ha I love the buzz word.

I fully agree with what you are saying OJ, it is quite true in what you are saying. However in this situation i would beg to disagree. The venue in itself is only a 300 cap, and the DJ...this is his only spot. The security relationship with the boss is very strong, and the DJ has already had numerous complaints against him. Including an inccident with the HD earlier in the night.
One of the bar staff witnessed the event and said that if he was in my shoes he would have hit him. The problem is...the DJ is permitted to drink, hes a young lad who thinks because hes the 'DJ' he rules the universe.

Scab

Longterm Registered User
You should have either dragged him out and then got the manager to come have a word with him, or knocked him (not literally) down a peg or two yourself.

"You're the DJ. **** off and spin some records."

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
Politics in the venue are already rocky. We refused to provide security during the week for a certain night, as the promoter for that night squared up to myself, head doorman and a police officer trying to preach that people shouldnt be thrown out. My arguement been that someone who has assualted a member of staff by punching them in the face is permitted to stay at venue?

Realisitically the previous security at the club just leaned up against the wall and did nothing. Now we have taken over people are seeing what doormen actually do...and don't like that they used to get away with some things but not any more

Oddjob

300 people venue.
sorry I thought you were talking about a club,
didn't realise it was a house party Pyrene, my mistake.
give me a buzz when you find a real job !!!!!
meeoooowwwww.
saucer of milk waiting for me in the corner, must go.

Echo1Two

Full Registered User
If there are politics between the security and a single promotor, then I would encourage the security team to resolve it, in the long term it will most likely create more drama for the security than it will the promotor. Even though the management is is good with both sides, as 'Oddjob' stated before, its the promotors that bring the business.

If the politics are between the security and 'multiple' promotors, then in my opinion, I would point blame at the security team. Some reasons could be lack of professionalism, little communication, little understanding between the two of what is required of each other/ from each other among a number of other aspects.

I've worked with various promotors, and have even ejected members of their team, but because boundaries etc had been established early on, they have no choice but to accept and has never put a dent in our relationships while on the job.

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
problem is stemming from us been a new company on that door.
We took over the venue only recently after the old company used a massive torch as a bat. From what I understand the previous firm did do nothing except in the sitation of a fight. We've come in and worked like you would anywhere else (ie walking out folks who are too drunk, stopping crowd surfing/generaly been tits). Before us they had all the rope in the world, we've arrived and their rope has got short...they arent happy. Police and licensing seem to really like us though

Oddjob

have a word with licensing get them to pay a little visit and sit down, work with you and the owners.
it puts a stamp on your progress.
Licensing along with clubs and vice are you friend (if you're lucky).
and depending on the club/promotion, Trident are worth a chat with as well.

Oddjob

isnt trident the gang crime unit?
They've gotta drink somewhere.
They were the black on black crime gun crime unit at one time, or had a special interest in those matters.
as with all initiatives they morph and expand over time.
depending on your crowd and threat level, with a little help they can remove certain problems for you.
worked for me in the past.

danny56o

Longterm Registered User
Trident is sort of a gang unit I think they investigate gun crime in the black community

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Echo1Two

Full Registered User
That is what trident is for. I don't see the need to meet with licensing etc if you keep doing what your doing and let the promotors know that your there to do a proper job then in time they will have little choice but to get to grips with it and in turn you could loosen the ropes maybe just a little (in exceptional circumstances). Relationships should grow from there

Echo1Two

Full Registered User
The problem that 'Pyrene' started expressing was one with the DJ/ Promotors, not so much the crowd. Licensing and the police have already expressed their happiness for the way that the new security team are handling things and trident, at this stage, doesn't seem to be an option to be considered.

Top Bottom