Pushed my button so much...

Who employs the DJ ?
security............. No.
the manager/owner...........someone values him.
meeting with licensing is always a good move, to find out what their focus and thoughts are, and to keep them onside.
the owner/manager might start to see what side his bread is buttered on.
But hey what do i know, after running security for 35 years and owning two clubs, just bumblings from the keyboard.

ill put your ideas to the HD OJ.

'loosen the ropes' they are loose, we dont do stuff unless we have to, i dont like paperwork. The promter a few weeks ago got....quite violent, squared up to me, head doorman and a police officer arguing that we chucked out a bloke. This bloke was a personal (ish) guest of the promoter. This 'guest' also punched me in the face

You've been punched, pushed, slammed, punched again and been threatened .
have you quite grasped the principals of this job Pyrene.
Most dare not think of doing any of that in my club, ever.

The initial problem was with the DJ.
very blinkered attitude I'd say.
Problems and attitudes come about from a general belief that they are acceptable or will be met with little resistance.
Family and friends of the owner/manager or DS and the all important (in their opinion) Promoters, can carry this attitude and take on a mantel of being untouchable.
it's a strange psychological conundrum, but I have bore witness to it time and time again.
hence my suggestion of having your vital importance bolstered by bigger outside forces, such as licensing and the police.
Do it subtlety and with some finesse, but I have found it helps.
I've even been recommended, off the record, to clubs and to maybe go speak to this bar or this club.

You've been punched, pushed, slammed, punched again and been threatened .
have you quite grasped the principals of this job Pyrene.
Most dare not think of doing any of that in my club, ever.

Yeah your door probably had the reputation. We took over the venue not two months ago. We are building that reputation. After the scrap, reputation is getting built.
One problem i see with working in a field like this is alot like boxing. Everyone who is a friend of a boxer is apparently a boxer, and they know everything about boxing.... simularly to club trade, people think they know every one else's job, especially when drunk.... Bar staff, promoters, DJ's all like to think they are the bee's knees and we are just their servents. The amount of time Ive had bar staff whoes had a few come on a fag break and start saying "yes they are fine" till they get a polite "f*ck off" down their ear.
Worst ive ever had was a regional operations manager of the bar i was working for. Came to the front door (she had been inside for some drinks and was quite sloshed), pointed at certain male customers in the que and said "you you you and you inside now, we need more hot guys inside" arguement then procceeded between door staff + customers + manager vs regional manager. I hate staff

I hate people

Family and friends are the biggest pain in the arse as regards doing your job.
that can be extended to associates of people who work in or own the venue.

I know that i'm thought of on this site as the "N00b" and "Idiot", but I actually agree with a couple of the comments made by posters here; namely those of kicking out the DJ at the time.

A while ago, I was working at a complex containing 2 clubs (One upstairs, one downstairs). I was working the upstairs one, primarily on the door, but also rotating occasionally. The Downstairs and Upstairs staff, despite all being the same company, weren't allowed to cross over, and had to work the club they were assigned (Except for responding to a backup request, obviously!). It was myself, another guy, and a lady on the front door for the first couple of hours, when everyone was coming in. We stopped a girl coming in with her parents, who looked about 16, and had no ID. They kept trying to push through us, and within about a minute, we had another 3 units behind us, and the Head Doorman on his way. The Promoter saw what was happening, came over, and pretty much demanded that we let them in, saying she was 19. We explained clearly why we weren't letting her in, but he refused to hear it, saying that we knew nothing about how to work a door, were idiot, and that they were "Personal friends", with every one else in the party, and they were coming in. The HD intervened, and after an argument, let them in, giving them all a warning that if anything happened involving her, they'd be out on their arse, and that she wasn't allowed to drink.

About 5 minutes later, the Promoter came over all apologetic, saying that he was sorry, he understood what we did because he allegedly works on doors, and basically being really patronising. He said that there'd be no problem with any of the party all night, because "They're all friends, having a good time, unlike that lot", pointing at the groups arriving at the downstairs club; a Kenyan birthday party.

About 10 minutes later, he came out for a fag, standing about 3 meters away from me talking to someone. I could hear clearly what he was saying, and he was laughing and joking and bragging that he'd snuck underage girls in past security and that we were useless. Clearly oblivious of the fact that we could hear him.

He said that there'd be someone on the desk inside the door all night collecting entry fee from the punters coming in, but they didn't seem to be too bothered about collecting money, letting nearly everyone in for free. They quickly ****ed off, however, to join the party. Towards the end of the night, he started getting pissed off at us, saying that we'd stolen the money, and we were supposed to be collecting it, even though it was made clear at the start of the night that we wouldn't be touching it at all, and it was their responsibility.

As the night went on, we were having problems left, right and centre from the group. Everyone was on drugs, and dealing was rampant, despite the fact everyone was checked twice on entry, (VERY thoroughly) and we were kicking people out for Coke and Acid (We were told by the Owner/Manager & HD to let them do Cannabis, just tell them to go to the end of the car park and do it. They were slinging racist abuse at the Kenyan group (Sharing a Smoking Area) and the Security, having to be told every time no drinks outside, Men going into the Women's toilets, the lot. We had to tell the DJ twice to stop using the smoke machine, before physically taking it off him, because it kept setting off the fire alarm!

Over the course of the night, we kicked about 50 people out of the party upstairs, and the staff downstairs reported that they didn't have a single problem with their group all night

The whole night, the Promoter was being an absolute tool, had already pissed off all the other Security, and getting on my last few nerves.

About half 4, the bar shut, and the HD came over the radio to say the venue was shutting at 5, start telling people coming out for a fag to stay in, there was no reentry. It turned out very quickly that the Promoter had told everyone it was going on till at least 6, so people started getting frustrated. 10 to 5, he came out and started squaring up to us, saying he'd paid to hire the venue, and it was going on till he said so, and that the manager that took the booking said they were good to go till 7. Radioed all this to the HD, who went into the office to work it out with the manager, radioing to everyone that, while he was checking, act as though it was closing at 5.

Just after 5, the Kenyan lot were starting to leave, and, after hearing the music still going on upstairs, started getting pissed off, saying that they were told it was only open to 5 at the latest, and feeling annoyed that they were being kicked out with a party still going.

Quater past, the HD came over the radio, saying the License and Contract both said 5, shut the music down straight away. I got to the DJ first, ordered him 3 times to turn off the music immediately, that he was supposed to stop at 5, he told me to **** off, and tried to attack me when I touched the equipment, trying to turn it off. Luckily, the HD turned up them, slid between us, ordered him to turn it off (Just as the lights were coming up), he got the same reception from the DJ, so promptly walked over to the wall, and ripped the plugs out of the sockets, sending the DJ into a rage, and promptly onto the floor, with 2 DS on top of him. Promoter came over and started giving me a ton of abuse, squaring up to me, properly getting in my face when I was trying to clear the floor. Kept my cool, told him to get his things and get out, the night was over, very calmly and politely, before walking off to keep doing my job. A minute later, walked over to the HD, said what was going on, and that he was getting on my tits, looked over at him as he was about to go downstairs, and he'd lit up. HD was furious, asked where he was, by which point, he'd disappeared. Followed him, as I was going down, he was coming up, this time puffing away on a joint.

For me, that was the final straw, got on my radio, called backup, pushed him straight into the wall, told him he had been an absolute cunt all night, and, when backup came, ejected him from the venue on the spot, to a great deal of abuse!

Afterwards, during conversation, the HD said that he backed my decision, that he was being a serious liability.

After boring you all to death with my tale, the bottom line is, yes, their sole function might be to get punters through the doors, but if they start acting like a cunt, become a liability, and they overstep the mark, like the DJ did, preventing you from doing your job, it doesn't matter. Have them out the door straight away

I know that i'm thought of on this site as the "N00b" and "Idiot", but I actually agree with a couple of the comments made by posters here; namely those of kicking out the DJ at the time.

A while ago, I was working at a complex containing 2 clubs (One upstairs, one downstairs). I was working the upstairs one, primarily on the door, but also rotating occasionally. The Downstairs and Upstairs staff, despite all being the same company, weren't allowed to cross over, and had to work the club they were assigned (Except for responding to a backup request, obviously!). It was myself, another guy, and a lady on the front door for the first couple of hours, when everyone was coming in. We stopped a girl coming in with her parents, who looked about 16, and had no ID. They kept trying to push through us, and within about a minute, we had another 3 units behind us, and the Head Doorman on his way. The Promoter saw what was happening, came over, and pretty much demanded that we let them in, saying she was 19. We explained clearly why we weren't letting her in, but he refused to hear it, saying that we knew nothing about how to work a door, were idiot, and that they were "Personal friends", with every one else in the party, and they were coming in. The HD intervened, and after an argument, let them in, giving them all a warning that if anything happened involving her, they'd be out on their arse, and that she wasn't allowed to drink.

About 5 minutes later, the Promoter came over all apologetic, saying that he was sorry, he understood what we did because he allegedly works on doors, and basically being really patronising. He said that there'd be no problem with any of the party all night, because "They're all friends, having a good time, unlike that lot", pointing at the groups arriving at the downstairs club; a Kenyan birthday party.

About 10 minutes later, he came out for a fag, standing about 3 meters away from me talking to someone. I could hear clearly what he was saying, and he was laughing and joking and bragging that he'd snuck underage girls in past security and that we were useless. Clearly oblivious of the fact that we could hear him.

He said that there'd be someone on the desk inside the door all night collecting entry fee from the punters coming in, but they didn't seem to be too bothered about collecting money, letting nearly everyone in for free. They quickly ****ed off, however, to join the party. Towards the end of the night, he started getting pissed off at us, saying that we'd stolen the money, and we were supposed to be collecting it, even though it was made clear at the start of the night that we wouldn't be touching it at all, and it was their responsibility.

As the night went on, we were having problems left, right and centre from the group. Everyone was on drugs, and dealing was rampant, despite the fact everyone was checked twice on entry, (VERY thoroughly) and we were kicking people out for Coke and Acid (We were told by the Owner/Manager & HD to let them do Cannabis, just tell them to go to the end of the car park and do it. They were slinging racist abuse at the Kenyan group (Sharing a Smoking Area) and the Security, having to be told every time no drinks outside, Men going into the Women's toilets, the lot. We had to tell the DJ twice to stop using the smoke machine, before physically taking it off him, because it kept setting off the fire alarm!

Over the course of the night, we kicked about 50 people out of the party upstairs, and the staff downstairs reported that they didn't have a single problem with their group all night

The whole night, the Promoter was being an absolute tool, had already pissed off all the other Security, and getting on my last few nerves.

About half 4, the bar shut, and the HD came over the radio to say the venue was shutting at 5, start telling people coming out for a fag to stay in, there was no reentry. It turned out very quickly that the Promoter had told everyone it was going on till at least 6, so people started getting frustrated. 10 to 5, he came out and started squaring up to us, saying he'd paid to hire the venue, and it was going on till he said so, and that the manager that took the booking said they were good to go till 7. Radioed all this to the HD, who went into the office to work it out with the manager, radioing to everyone that, while he was checking, act as though it was closing at 5.

Just after 5, the Kenyan lot were starting to leave, and, after hearing the music still going on upstairs, started getting pissed off, saying that they were told it was only open to 5 at the latest, and feeling annoyed that they were being kicked out with a party still going.

Quater past, the HD came over the radio, saying the License and Contract both said 5, shut the music down straight away. I got to the DJ first, ordered him 3 times to turn off the music immediately, that he was supposed to stop at 5, he told me to **** off, and tried to attack me when I touched the equipment, trying to turn it off. Luckily, the HD turned up them, slid between us, ordered him to turn it off (Just as the lights were coming up), he got the same reception from the DJ, so promptly walked over to the wall, and ripped the plugs out of the sockets, sending the DJ into a rage, and promptly onto the floor, with 2 DS on top of him. Promoter came over and started giving me a ton of abuse, squaring up to me, properly getting in my face when I was trying to clear the floor. Kept my cool, told him to get his things and get out, the night was over, very calmly and politely, before walking off to keep doing my job. A minute later, walked over to the HD, said what was going on, and that he was getting on my tits, looked over at him as he was about to go downstairs, and he'd lit up. HD was furious, asked where he was, by which point, he'd disappeared. Followed him, as I was going down, he was coming up, this time puffing away on a joint.

For me, that was the final straw, got on my radio, called backup, pushed him straight into the wall, told him he had been an absolute cunt all night, and, when backup came, ejected him from the venue on the spot, to a great deal of abuse!

Afterwards, during conversation, the HD said that he backed my decision, that he was being a serious liability.

After boring you all to death with my tale, the bottom line is, yes, their sole function might be to get punters through the doors, but if they start acting like a cunt, become a liability, and they overstep the mark, like the DJ did, preventing you from doing your job, it doesn't matter. Have them out the door straight away

now mate, i would say this, no promoter can let anyone in. Never, **** 'em. The only person I ever let over turn my decision is the manager, as they understand as its their license on the line.

secondly, door staff should never take money for venues such as what youve mentioned. Ive worked a couple of places where we took the money. Two venues comes to mind both in S.E london, one was £1 entry after 2100, and the other was a new years (just gone) where door fee was £20 a head, and there was no memeber of staff to take the money.

Good practice is to not get involved in handling cash. Its a dirty trade and people like to point fingers.

Finnaly, ejection of promoters or other misc staff is a grey area. Something the manager should always be involved in. Like in my situation, he is the regular DJ, hes been there longer than the door team, but hes out of line. Manager should deal with it.
We had one were the promoter was very far out of line, police delt with him (they bi-passed the manager ;) )

My favourite staff inccident is from croydon. off duty bar staff starts bringing his mates in, comes over to me and says "yeah just let them in yeah!" doesnt offer any cash, most people would offer £££ to smuggle people in. only 3 had ID and were over age, 1 was found to have a bottle of JD on. Manager came out and said that he can **** off for the night and **** off for good.

I hate people

Then why work in a job when you know you'll be dealing with them at their worst? Perhaps it's not for you?

I've found that dealing with promoters/managers/DJ's etc it was was always best to have a meeting and establish clear expectations and boundries from all sides before the doors even opened.

Heno

I hate people

Then why work in a job when you know you'll be dealing with them at their worst? Perhaps it's not for you?

I've found that dealing with promoters/managers/DJ's etc it was was always best to have a meeting and establish clear expectations and boundries from all sides before the doors even opened.

Heno

Heno

not my problem, thats for head doorman to sort out.

im not at the venue any more.

and "i hate people" meant to be a very lame joke :)

now mate, i would say this, no promoter can let anyone in. Never, **** 'em. The only person I ever let over turn my decision is the manager, as they understand as its their license on the line.

secondly, door staff should never take money for venues such as what youve mentioned. Ive worked a couple of places where we took the money. Two venues comes to mind both in S.E london, one was £1 entry after 2100, and the other was a new years (just gone) where door fee was £20 a head, and there was no memeber of staff to take the money.

Good practice is to not get involved in handling cash. Its a dirty trade and people like to point fingers.

Finnaly, ejection of promoters or other misc staff is a grey area. Something the manager should always be involved in. Like in my situation, he is the regular DJ, hes been there longer than the door team, but hes out of line. Manager should deal with it.
We had one were the promoter was very far out of line, police delt with him (they bi-passed the manager ;) )

My favourite staff inccident is from croydon. off duty bar staff starts bringing his mates in, comes over to me and says "yeah just let them in yeah!" doesnt offer any cash, most people would offer £££ to smuggle people in. only 3 had ID and were over age, 1 was found to have a bottle of JD on. Manager came out and said that he can **** off for the night and **** off for good.

Pyrene, I totally agree with you! Myself and the others with me, that stopped her coming in, made it very clear to both the Promoter and the Head Doorman that we didn't want this person in. I didn't personally agree with the HD's decision to grant admittance, but I had to go with it, he's the boss. If anything happened to that person, or involving that person, once inside, as far as i'm concerned, it's the HD's responsibility, because he made the decision.

With regards to money, I agree with you there as well. When i'm on the doors, I don't like carrying anything, bar a radio, fags, torch, and a £10 work phone. As soon as I get to a venue, I take my personal phone, wallet etc out of my pockets, leave them in my bag and leave that in the office. I don't want to risk anything happening to my property, such as when an ejection goes bad and they get damaged or pinched/lost, etc. Even more so, I don't like taking money on entry, purely because I don't want to be responsible for it in the first place. As far as i'm concerned, it's the promoter's job to organise it, i'm just there to ensure the place is secure and safe. That way, if money does go missing, I can clearly and honestly say that it's not my fault at all

I agree with the fact that it's a grey area, but he'd already pissed off the other door staff, the HD, the Manager & owner, and, despite being a very patient and calm person, my last nerve. I would argue that, straight away, for lighting up a fag inside, and then a joint, I would be within my rights to eject him on the spot without managerial authority, due to him breaking the smoking law (Which, as a smoker myself, I don't always agree with, like in pubs, but I respect and understand).

I had a situation similar to that myself, where a teenager (last day of 6th form party) tried to smuggle a full bottle of Jägermeister and lots of tins of Monster through the door. He admitted to having it before I searched him, so I didn't refuse him entry totally, just told him that if he wanted in, he could either leave both the Monster and the Jäger with me, though i'd take no responsibility for it at all, and he could pick it up when leaving, if it was still there, he could dispose of it outside, or he could go outside with his mates, finish it, and, if I thought they was still sober enough, they could come in. He didn't understand why I wasn't letting him in with it, despite me explaining quite clearly that the purpose of the bar was to sell alcohol, so why should he be allowed to bring his own in for free? Needless to say, the idiot chose to drink it outside and, without sharing with his friends, as I recommended. He necked half the bottle, puked everywhere, and then passed out. While a mate took him home, all his friends came up to me, saying it was my fault. I told them I never told him to neck it, that was his choice!

I've also had it before, working at a venue, where a member of the bar staff, who wasn't working, kept deciding to nip behind the bar, and pour their own drinks, then come out and drink them, all without paying. Needless to say, they were quickly shown the door by myself and another, and then the manager informed. From what I heard over the radio, they had a massive blazing shouting match outside, and that staff member hasn't been seen since.

In my mind, it doesn't matter if they're the promoter/DJ or not, if they start being aggressive to you, becoming a threat, and preventing you from doing your job, they need to leave, rather swiftly. It should give them the boot up the ass they need to cop on and get their act together

Pyrene, I totally agree with you! Myself and the others with me, that stopped her coming in, made it very clear to both the Promoter and the Head Doorman that we didn't want this person in. I didn't personally agree with the HD's decision to grant admittance, but I had to go with it, he's the boss. If anything happened to that person, or involving that person, once inside, as far as i'm concerned, it's the HD's responsibility, because he made the decision.

With regards to money, I agree with you there as well. When i'm on the doors, I don't like carrying anything, bar a radio, fags, torch, and a £10 work phone. As soon as I get to a venue, I take my personal phone, wallet etc out of my pockets, leave them in my bag and leave that in the office. I don't want to risk anything happening to my property, such as when an ejection goes bad and they get damaged or pinched/lost, etc. Even more so, I don't like taking money on entry, purely because I don't want to be responsible for it in the first place. As far as i'm concerned, it's the promoter's job to organise it, i'm just there to ensure the place is secure and safe. That way, if money does go missing, I can clearly and honestly say that it's not my fault at all

I agree with the fact that it's a grey area, but he'd already pissed off the other door staff, the HD, the Manager & owner, and, despite being a very patient and calm person, my last nerve. I would argue that, straight away, for lighting up a fag inside, and then a joint, I would be within my rights to eject him on the spot without managerial authority, due to him breaking the smoking law (Which, as a smoker myself, I don't always agree with, like in pubs, but I respect and understand).

I had a situation similar to that myself, where a teenager (last day of 6th form party) tried to smuggle a full bottle of Jägermeister and lots of tins of Monster through the door. He admitted to having it before I searched him, so I didn't refuse him entry totally, just told him that if he wanted in, he could either leave both the Monster and the Jäger with me, though i'd take no responsibility for it at all, and he could pick it up when leaving, if it was still there, he could dispose of it outside, or he could go outside with his mates, finish it, and, if I thought they was still sober enough, they could come in. He didn't understand why I wasn't letting him in with it, despite me explaining quite clearly that the purpose of the bar was to sell alcohol, so why should he be allowed to bring his own in for free? Needless to say, the idiot chose to drink it outside and, without sharing with his friends, as I recommended. He necked half the bottle, puked everywhere, and then passed out. While a mate took him home, all his friends came up to me, saying it was my fault. I told them I never told him to neck it, that was his choice!

I've also had it before, working at a venue, where a member of the bar staff, who wasn't working, kept deciding to nip behind the bar, and pour their own drinks, then come out and drink them, all without paying. Needless to say, they were quickly shown the door by myself and another, and then the manager informed. From what I heard over the radio, they had a massive blazing shouting match outside, and that staff member hasn't been seen since.

In my mind, it doesn't matter if they're the promoter/DJ or not, if they start being aggressive to you, becoming a threat, and preventing you from doing your job, they need to leave, rather swiftly. It should give them the boot up the ass they need to cop on and get their act together

For me mate, it wasnt a matter of ejection, the nights finished, i was tired, and the sudden unexpected pounce of attack. If it had happened an hour or so before closing I would have delt with it by bringing him to one side and putting him in his place, but after closing and all im thinking of is taking my boots off, having a nice cool beer, getting home and getting into bed - its un expected.

regarding your promoter, what you could have done is spoken to him in a cool friendly but stern manner, away from everyone else. say your just trying to do your job, but because hes staff he does get some elbow room, but theres a limit. If he doesnt like that, speak to your manager...its his license. Remember hes not a customer, he is tempoary staff, so treat him like staff. Even refer to him as staff - its better than calling him external staff or whatever you want, the word 'staff' brings to light a family unit and makes him think your more attached to him that you actually are, simple psychology

Staff behind bar on nights off is my favourite thing, i deal with it in my favourite way, take the piss, make a joke, but get the point across. Tell them why they cant go behind "i dont give two hoots if you go behind, but i do care when other people see you doing it, don't know your staff, and then they try it, so have a bit of respect, the other bar staff will obiviously come to you first, so treat this like a workplace and not your own personal booze tap"

With the lad who necked a bottle, his mates blamed you, ask them "who drank it" however its good practice to not have people 'necking a bottle' on your door step, tell them to go down the road or around the corner.

Everyone can say you should do "x-y-z" however its just all written. However you are the person in the situation you know whats going on and how your feeling. One persons solution of decking the DJ is another persons worst solution. Each person has different ways of resulting a situation. How I result things would be different from you.

the purpose of this thread was a vent and to say how much the DJ was a dick, couldnt eject him, couldnt reprimand him, what else was there to do appart from pretty much shrug it off

"I hate people" Pyrene

You know ... I got to thinking about this. There are a lot of different security people who check into the forum from time to time. Everybody's got their own perspective, and their own experience.

As far as the Door Supervision assignment is concerned - it's a very tough job for dealing with people. There are some very quirky personalities involved in the music and promotions business. And then there are some very obnoxious personalities in the general public. So it's not surprising that you'd see comments like the one from Pyrene above.

But here's the question. Is there a better "mindset" and a special set of verbal skills that would allow a person to handle this type of stuff more effectively. Since you don't really want the situation to go to a punching match .... how exactly do you deal verbally with the in-your-face customers who are truly obnoxious? If you were to look around at all the Door guys who work in the UK - you might find there's a very few who have some sort of special mastery of "how to talk people down" - so they defuse a situation, or at least take it to another place out of the limelight. That's a very valuable skill - I'd be interested on any thoughts about that.

KL

Last edited:
the "i hate people" was an attempt at very lame humour, dont take it too seriously mate.

ive been doing the job several years now, admitable not longer than you old hands, obviously, but longer than i should have been doing it if you get my drift. if i was a in your face physical person do you think id still be in the job? I hate physical confrontations, im a lazy sod...i hate paperwork!

The 'new breed' are brought up under the idea that everyone is compliant and talking is the way forward. Many of the new breed dont know how to talk. Many of the new breed are too scared to get invovled if needs be. Entering into the job attracted to the stories of women and trying to look like the hardest man around, but when it gets gritty, they aren't worth the weight of paper their NVQ is printed on.

I entered into the industry for the money. When i first started, I was offered £x amount a night to stand on a box in a club, at the age I was...it was a great wage! I was raised by old school door staff and I am still been raised by these old school boys.

There are only two other lads whoes been doing this job as long as I have who are my age, one is a standup lad, excellent DS, but I hate him as the ladies always went to him. The other was a tool, he just wanted to fight people. I like to think i'm half way inbetween, wont back away from a fight but wont start it because of the paperwork.

If someone was in my face, its words who gives a hoot. However if they continue to be there, then comes the age old trick of switching in. Thankfully I dont have many people in my face, im usually the younger man on the team who the customers can relate to, so im usually switched to, offer them a fag, listen to them (ha!) and explain whats going on, say you will go see what you can do, go have a chat about the girls inside with the HD (pretend to chat about situation) go back and explain it all off. Then say come back next time ill give you que jump best I can do. Haggle with them and compromise. Get a hand shake

If that isnt suitable, carry on working as normal and ignore

If that isnt suitable, bring over a rozzer and give them a D12 (S27)

If that doesnt work, hand them to one of the polish guys who will take them to a shady place (kidding!! albanians are better)

Pyrene - I hope I didn't give you the impression that I was putting you down in any way. That was not my intention at all. In fact, if I was doing Doors jobs for any length of time ... I probably would almost get to the point of "hating people". I don't think I'm that patient with the general public. So you probably do much better than me :)

Once in a while I do manage to travel through the UK. I have noticed on these trips that certain citizens within Britain have what is called "the gift of the gab". They just seem to have an amazing way of putting words together. It can be quite entertaining to listen to. It's also "verbally disarming". It really distracts your concentration - because your mind is going so fast just trying to keep up with what they are saying. So it seems to me that a few of these clever lads might have that rare combination of being brilliant amateur psychologists, and also good with their tongues. Somebody like that might very well be able to "talk down" a fairly aggressive opponent without ever throwing a punch. It's a rare skill - but a valuable one. I don't really have it myself ... but I'd certainly be interested in meeting someone who can do it.

People like that would be worth their weight in gold - for a Doors team or a BG team that has to handle big crowds :)

cheers,
KL

Last edited:
Promoters, are for the most part, 'Dicks'. They come in. with their 'act' or 'artist' and think they own the place, they run roughshod over club owners, managers, door staff, bar staff etc as if the event wouldn't happen without them.

Its a hazard of the trade, as are drunken yobs, emotional women, drug dealers, underage drinkers, thugs fighting, racist remarks and crap pay!!

BUT, it's pay, and we all do it, and every time we go out we learn something new, be it from a bad situation turned good, or a good situation turned bad. The trick is to learn, and to develop skills that set you apart from the army of crap, unskilled operators!

It does take a certain type to make the hard calls like 'This shit is going to get out of hand and needs to be handled NOW', and you need to be sure of your team before you make these calls. Most situations can be handled quickly and quietly before anyone knows what has happened, if you have the right crew with you.

Experience is the key, "Gift of the gab" is essential and a spare shirt in the car is always handy for when the former lets you down and it does kick off!!

Pyrene, the situations you describe are normal, and a part of the gig, but like you, we all want to knock someone's' lights out at some stage, the fact that you didn't deck the guy shows you are above it and a professional so I wouldn't fret too much!

And I hate people too, but only drunk, aggressive assholes who make life difficult, hence why I stay away from doors these days!!!

Promoters, are for the most part, 'Dicks'. They come in. with their 'act' or 'artist' and think they own the place, they run roughshod over club owners, managers, door staff, bar staff etc as if the event wouldn't happen without them.

Its a hazard of the trade, as are drunken yobs, emotional women, drug dealers, underage drinkers, thugs fighting, racist remarks and crap pay!!

BUT, it's pay, and we all do it, and every time we go out we learn something new, be it from a bad situation turned good, or a good situation turned bad. The trick is to learn, and to develop skills that set you apart from the army of crap, unskilled operators!

It does take a certain type to make the hard calls like 'This shit is going to get out of hand and needs to be handled NOW', and you need to be sure of your team before you make these calls. Most situations can be handled quickly and quietly before anyone knows what has happened, if you have the right crew with you.

Experience is the key, "Gift of the gab" is essential and a spare shirt in the car is always handy for when the former lets you down and it does kick off!!

Pyrene, the situations you describe are normal, and a part of the gig, but like you, we all want to knock someone's' lights out at some stage, the fact that you didn't deck the guy shows you are above it and a professional so I wouldn't fret too much!

And I hate people too, but only drunk, aggressive assholes who make life difficult, hence why I stay away from doors these days!!!

Somebody like that might very well be able to "talk down" a fairly aggressive opponent without ever throwing a punch. It's a rare skill - but a valuable one. I don't really have it myself ... but I'd certainly be interested in meeting someone who can do it.

cheers,
KL

ive met two guys that really stand out. And why they stand out is not why you may think. When you think of a doorman you have a steretype image in your head. Now these two, one is a rather short old guy, and the other looks perminantly stoned, neither have any proper phsyical pressence, however they can put people right out.
first one, hes old school, you look at him and you know hes old school, however everyone would out size him. Ive known him for a while, and best person at talking ive ever met. Last time we were working together, I was called to front door to find him trying to talk down a lad who wanted in, wanted to fight everyone and was going to hit his wife if we didnt let him in. I arrive and I wont like, all I wanted to do was grab him, drag him, go back inside. However the other DS got him right down, and he calmly walked away, was a very violent situation
the other is amazing, he is so relaxed and chilled, when he starts talking you think he has just had a spliff, however he hympnatises you and it seems like youve just had a spliff and people just stop, smile, agree and go home. Quite something..!

Back